Good dish for first FTA dish for friend?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
"Scored" this dish for $2 today at a garage sale.
Had never heard of the service, thought it was a programming service, now I see it was satellite
internet service. The dish doesn't have a transmitter on the arm, thus, I wonder if it's already been
used for FTA.....

Would THIS dish or a round .75m DTN (Channel Master) spare I have be better for a first dish for a buddy entering FTA? I want his early experiences with FTA to be good!

P8231029.JPG P8231030.JPG P8231031.JPG

Looks like its an FTA linear LNB on there. Dish will work on KU band but its on the small side. You should have no problems with Galaxy 19 at 97W. Puts out a strong signal and has about 255 channels of very varied programming in many languages.

I figured for his first experience, either 97 (only Ebru really anything he would want there) or PBS....but glad you think the dish will work.
Agreed on the LNB, it's not original to this, I'd bet.

What size is that dish? You said:

Would THIS dish or a round .75m DTN (Channel Master) spare I have be better for a first dish for a buddy entering FTA? I want his early experiences with FTA to be good!

I don't see anywhere in the thread mention of the actual size for the $2 dish? If it's bigger than the 75 cm, than I'd say that dish would be better, if it's smaller, than use the 75 cm. Same size, either one. That dish looks exactly like one I have here and it's been a good dish, I like the LNB mount better than the ones on my other dishes. Cost me $50 though, not $2! Can't go wrong for $2!:D

I think that will work great without a doubt. It is identical to the winegard ds2076.

Thanks! Like in all things, a good "first impression" (in this case, FTA) is important if we're to spread the hobby. I know I can make things work, (7 dishes, 8 feeds for me right now) but I'd not worked with this particular dish, and after hours and years of being a member here, I find that some dishes are "run away from" and some are "will work fine!". Glad I spent my $2 wisely.

Good old skywayUSA based out of Kentucky they tried a Oneway Internet service never really took off speeds were slow and prices were high and had to use a dial modem for your return path. If I recall they got over on echostar for over a million when they shut the doors.

Nice find for $2.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Well, it's kind of sad in a way. Many years ago I had "one way" 'net on C-band with dialup in my town (can't remember if it was before I had starband)...and it worked GREAT! wish I could remember the name of the service. I put a power supply on my birdview HI-Block LNB horizontal side (it powered both horiz and vert) and ran it to the receiver card in the computer. Modem=info request, Satellite-incoming information. Worked like a charm. Sorry it went bye bye. Was a nice system for "rural" which my small town was!

Well, it's kind of sad in a way. Many years ago I had "one way" 'net on C-band with dialup in my town (can't remember if it was before I had starband)...and it worked GREAT! wish I could remember the name of the service. I put a power supply on my birdview HI-Block LNB horizontal side (it powered both horiz and vert) and ran it to the receiver card in the computer. Modem=info request, Satellite-incoming information. Worked like a charm. Sorry it went bye bye. Was a nice system for "rural" which my small town was!

Was that the service skyvision was selling?

I think a oneway high speed "Like 500Mbps or GigE" ($4 per Gig) would sell for people how want to download fast or not pay ATT/VZ $10 a Gig on LTE.

Think about it what would be better then having 22 transpoders all bonding from 5 or 6 birds lol

Yes. to the dish we're going to send to a first-time FTA friend. No to the one of years ago. Mine was C-band, not Ku.

I figured for his first experience, either 97 (only Ebru really anything he would want there) or PBS....but glad you think the dish will work.
Agreed on the LNB, it's not original to this, I'd bet.
Depending on your location PBS on 125W may be challenging. I have trouble sometimes with a 90cm. Same goes for LPB on 87W. I'd love to have a couple of fixed 1.2 meter dishes for those two.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts