good fta dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mando209

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Some guy on criagslist is selling a 32x36 dish with invacom quad qph031 lnb for $70.is that size dish reccomended for picking up galaxy 19? Also is that a good deal? I live in merced,ca

Last edited:
Some guy on criagslist is selling a 32x36 dish with invacom quad qph031 lnb for $70.is that size dish reccomended for picking up galaxy 19? Also is that a good deal? I live in merced,ca
Will it "work"?
Yes, I should think so.
Is it the best deal?
You could do better.

Im not impressed by the (originally) expensive QPH-031
It's heavy and causes alignment troubles on some dishes.
The two circular outputs aren't of much use today.
If you have a need for two linear outputs, there are (better) $20 solutions.

Hard to comment on a "pig in a poke" dish.
Sounds about the right size.
But there are all sorts out there.

I'm uninspired. ;)

I agree with Anole (ah-NOLE?, AH-nole?, ah-NOLAY?). I uninstalled my circular LNB which I had piggybacking on my linear LNB. There's just nothing unscrambled worth receiving anymore with a circular LNB. For that amount of money, get a bigger dish and less expensive LNB. Quality dual-port LNBs don't cost much anymore.

I agree with Anole ...
There's just nothing unscrambled worth receiving anymore with a circular LNB.
For that amount of money, get a bigger dish and less expensive LNB.
Quality dual-port LNBs don't cost much anymore.
( ah-NO-lay or ah-NOLE)
You can even get a PLL LNBF - that would arguably be better.
And a heck of a lot lighter. :)

Edit: the original intent was just to get 97 west, which is not too critical.

For that amount of money, get a bigger dish and less expensive LNB. Quality dual-port LNBs don't cost much anymore.
where ? for $70< with shipping

I agree with Anole (ah-NOLE?, AH-nole?, ah-NOLAY?). I uninstalled my circular LNB which I had piggybacking on my linear LNB.
There's just nothing unscrambled worth receiving anymore with a circular LNB. .
don't even use the circular side of them. but own 6 of them with about 8-9 other cheap ones on 15 or so dishes and none outperform the invacoms on those hard to get low powered feeds.(72/103)

You can even get a PLL LNBF - that would arguably be better.
And a heck of a lot lighter. :)invacom
PLL LNBF have not owned one of these cheapy pll but the reviews are not all that,
that i've read.
the function of a PLL for our use is debatable at best.
http://rickcaylor.websitetoolbox.com/post/Question-for-everyone-6414355?&trail=15

Mando209 - are you satisfied with the answers above?

I wish you had a picture or two to post of the dish (front & rear).
Also, showing how the LNBF is attached.
That would tell us a lot.
If the seller has repurposed a left-behind DishNet or DirecTV dish, we can tell if he did a good job.

What FTA experience do you have?
I won't suggest you convert a DirecTV nor DishNet dish to FTA, but there are a number of such threads on the forum.
If this is your first FTA, then you would be wise to keep the project simple.

What sort of receiver are you considering?
Which channels on 97 west are you looking for?

Well i bought a microsat a while ago.anyways i called the guy and he hung up right away.in the email he said he wont be home till monday.hopefully he can txt me a pic of it.i have zero experiance with fta.i just read that galaxy 19 is best to watch.just a little project to get going on my farm.from the reading i did around these forums it's not reccomened to use cband dish for galaxy 19.theres so many buds around my area.i've only knocked on one house but that dish needs panels replacement.i do need one of those for parents satmex 6 +8.

Well i bought a microsat a while ago.anyways i called the guy and he hung up right away.in the email he said he wont be home till monday.hopefully he can txt me a pic of it.i have zero experiance with fta.i just read that galaxy 19 is best to watch.just a little project to get going on my farm.from the reading i did around these forums it's not reccomened to use cband dish for galaxy 19.theres so many buds around my area.i've only knocked on one house but that dish needs panels replacement.i do need one of those for parents satmex 6 +8.
" i bought a microsat" what is that ? link please

see channels
http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/

it's good to have a 10' dish cband and a small dish for ku 36''- 1.2 m
if you can get both

For example

In the mean time, keep shopping, and be on the lookout for a 32-36-40 inch round dish.
(80cm, 90 cm, 1.0 meter - and if you find a 1.2m dish, that's ok! 4') ;)
Anything you see, post us a couple of pictures, and we can tell you more about it. :)

Most any old Primestar would be good.
Often the original LNB will be fine on it.

DirecTV World dish is elliptical, but it's a very good choice.
Designed for both FTA and one of their circular birds.
97 west & 101w , if I recall.

Several years back, Dish Network retired their elliptical Super Dish (any model is ok).
It'll get your signal on 97w just fine.

The three dishes listed above can be found for free to maybe $25, and are already equipped with a stock LNB that will get 'ER done. :up

If you run across a 4'er in good shape, $50 would be a bargain! ;)

Thanks for the info guys.it's microhd.i had to look at the box lol

heres the dish

la foto (3).JPGla foto (3).JPG

he wants $70 for this one.so what do u guys think?

View attachment 89314View attachment 89314

he wants $70 for this one.so what do u guys think?

mando209, I did not see your post until today. If you haven't bought that dish yet I've got several I will will make you a deal you can't refuse. I am near Prather, CA. In the foothills but will be glad to meet you in Madera, CAon HWY-99 and bring several dishes for you to look at?

I'll try and get some pictures posted here today, but got company.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Waiting to go to the right person...

I think Merced is a hr drive from me. Two new Glorystar 33" dishes, a 5 ft CBand solid, and 4 ft KU band solid, and a 36"? ( didn't measure it) channel master I used for demos. Nothing over $50...

been cleaning the place up and hauling away the trash... I'm sure we can make you happy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    686.2 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    615.1 KB · Views: 132
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 146
Word to the wise

T4Runner has made you a generous offer you can't refuse! :up

Edit:
The Glorystar dishes will have a bracket to take any general purpose LNBF.
Probably the path of least resistance, and fine for 97 west, fixed.
(even motorized if some day you go that way )

The 36" molded (see the ribs on the back?) Channel Master is also great for fixed operation.
More of a challenge to motorize due to the weight.
If it has original feedhorn and LNB, it would be a no-brainer.
To adapt a general purpose LNBF, would be a bit more work.

?

?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)