Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Today is July 1st, and for many members they went to bed last night wondering if some of their local channels would be missing off the DISH lineup this morning when they woke up. You might have noticed your local station alerting you of this matter... yet it's July 1st and all the locals are still on and all without a peep from DISH.

Seems like many station owners like to take their shots at the satellite companies when it is renewal time... yet in this case like many times before a deal is made and the customer continues watching TV.

Good job DISH. This is the way it should be done.

no deal yet....just a temporary extension...dated 6/29

Media General, Inc. (NYSE: MEG), a local broadcast television and digital media company, announced today that it has provided DISH with a 90-day extension for its current retransmission agreement that was set to expire June 30.

At least with an extension, both sides have time to breathe and work on a deal, and more importantly, the customer still gets to watch the channels.

Regardless, an extension is not granted unless the side giving the extension thinks the side getting the extension is negotiating in good faith. That belies their public notices to their customers that Dish is not playing fair. They need to revise that.

I thought Dish had to carry the locals ... mandatory? If so, why do they need to make a deal at all? If not, why doesn't Dish just drop them totally? Confusing

MUST CARRY vs. Re transmission Consent. The local gets to pick one. Generally they pick re transmission consent, as that way they get $, MUST CARRY = $0.00.

At least with an extension, both sides have time to breathe and work on a deal, and more importantly, the customer still gets to watch the channels.

IF BOTH sides due their job...........then everything would be settled PRIOR to the cut off date......it's not like the end of the contract was unknown

WHY play all these games, when the end consumer is the one that suffers???????? Don't want to hear the BS of keeping prices down......if that was the concern then our pricing would not have increased twice this year

IF BOTH sides due their job...........then everything would be settled PRIOR to the cut off date......it's not like the end of the contract was unknown

WHY play all these games, when the end consumer is the one that suffers???????? Don't want to hear the BS of keeping prices down......if that was the concern then our pricing would not have increased twice this year

Games are being played on both sides. If both sides don't want to negotiate you get what you get, nothing....

If dish were smart they'd lower their receiver fees down on a 2nd hopper for new customers. How about getting rid of the whole home dvr fee? Even lowering the cost of their tv packages. Commercials air with them taking jabs at direct with saying how they can record 6 shows at a time or how they haven't raised prices.

If dish were smart they'd lower their receiver fees down on a 2nd hopper for new customers. How about getting rid of the whole home dvr fee? Even lowering the cost of their tv packages. Commercials air with them taking jabs at direct with saying how they can record 6 shows at a time or how they haven't raised prices.

If they were REALLY smart they would give us all a free year of service. But I'm guessing that wouldn't be enough, complaints about paying the taxes would be posted.

Seriously, you can say the same for all businesses. Maybe if we are all willing to take less pay, less benefits, prices will come down. Maybe if the networks weren't demanding money they never got before, now having to be paid by the carriers, prices wouldn't go up as much. Maybe if sports didn't cost so much and the RSN's didn't demand being in the regular packages prices would be lower. I again point out, it's a matter of the business plan. Some do it more with fees, some with package prices, some with both. With the fees Dish charges, they are still very competitive on price, often the lower cost. If they dropped a fee or lowered them, you can bet it would be made up in package prices or somewhere else.

MUST CARRY vs. Re transmission Consent. The local gets to pick one. Generally they pick re transmission consent, as that way they get $, MUST CARRY = $0.00.

Interesting ... I looked this up today and it appears that the satellite companies are under no obligation or requirement to carry the local stations at all.

Still confusing what anyone would want to carry them for free ... I'd say the locals should be paying Dish to carry them and Dish should be charging subscribers who want them ... I would not pay for them but it appears that I am since they are included .... noting is really included without an underlying cost.

I wouldn't say they have no requirements to carry locals, as I remember them being forced to have X number of markets on Sat by a certain date.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'm still confused ... the way I read it is if they took one local they had to then take them all ... no pick and chose. If that were teh case then I'd just drop them all. I suspect Dish and others saw an opportunity to make $$ on the deal and that is the root of the issue. Not the media folks want some of the action.

I also thought that the cable folks had to take locals (mandatory).

Question does Wave 3 carry network programming? If I remeber correctly the networks wanted all new contracts with dish to include the language that auto hop will not be allowed on network programs carried by local carriers.

Can this be the whats holding up a new contract?

I'm still confused ... the way I read it is if they took one local they had to then take them all ... no pick and chose. If that were teh case then I'd just drop them all. I suspect Dish and others saw an opportunity to make $$ on the deal and that is the root of the issue. Not the media folks want some of the action.

I also thought that the cable folks had to take locals (mandatory).

You have a misunderstanding about the law. Dish must attempt to carry all full power stations in a DMA. If the station elects Must Carry then it is the responsibility of the station to provide an acceptable signal to the POP. If a station elects re-transmission consent then Dish must act in good faith in negotiating a re-transmission agreement. There is not a penalty for Dish not reaching a re-transmission consent agreement.

I wouldn't say they have no requirements to carry locals, as I remember them being forced to have X number of markets on Sat by a certain date.
There was some stipulation with this from the government but I can't remember what it was now. Dish went on an adding spree in order to get a bunch of additional markets added a number of years ago.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Question does Wave 3 carry network programming? If I remeber correctly the networks wanted all new contracts with dish to include the language that auto hop will not be allowed on network programs carried by local carriers.

Can this be the whats holding up a new contract?

Yes. NBC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)