Good News And Bad News...wow!!! (All Coming from CSR. Take it as you will)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

msb212

Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Wow. Just had a really interesting conversation with a CSR at VOOM. he said that they have delayed the release of the VOOM DVR until January '05. That is the bad news. The good news is that he said the reason is that the box is being upgraded from what they had originally intended, and now it would have a 100 HOUR HD CAPACITY -- AND IT WILL HAVE FIREWIRE OUTPUT! He also said that they are planning wireless capability, but I don't think this is new info.

He also said that they would be going to MPEG 4 by the end of August, and that there were tons of new channles planned, including an NFL VOOM package in which EVERY NFL game would be rebroadcast over the course of the week in HD. As well as a number of other new channels like USA, some of the other Turner networks, and some new original channels he couldn't (or wouldn't name).

Hadn't seen any of ths posted here before. If it has been, apologies.

Nothing can do 100 hour HD capacity seeing as how hard drives aren't large enough yet. Maybe he meant 100 hour SD capacity.

Good News And Bad News ... Wow!!!

Wow. Just hung up with a VOOM CSR and found out the following:

First the bad news: The VOOM PVR has been delayed until January 2005.

Now, the good news: The reason I was given was that they were upgrading the box to include the following: 100 HOURS OF HD RECORDING CAPACITY!!!! FIREWIRE OUTPUT!!! They are also planning a wireless capability (which may not be new information), but he seemed to think this would include the ability to stream music and other things from a computer on the network (though he wasn't certain).

I was also told that VOOM will go to MPEG 4 by the end of August, and that Voom would be adding the following: EVERY NFL GAME WILL BE REBROADCAST IN HD for the week following it's initial play on Sunday! THey are also planning something similar for the NBA!!! He said that they would be unveiling some new VOOM original channels as well, and that Turner was upgrading certain of his other channels to HD which VOOM will carry. He also told me that USA is now up and running (which I didn't know). Also, Food Network and H&G will be added soon.

All in all, some great stuff here I think. If this info was already posted elsewhere, apologies!

msb212 said:
Wow. Just had a really interesting conversation with a CSR at VOOM. he said
:rolleyes: : lmfao,, sorry these CSR'S are hilarious sometimes
CSR"S training Center

Attachments

• wafflecd.gif
    wafflecd.gif
    37.9 KB · Views: 281
Is it possible that the increased capacity (ie, the 100 hours) has to do with MPEG4 or WM9 or whatever Voom is supposed to be going to?

If any of this is HALF true, I'll be one happy voomer!

Neutron said:
Nothing can do 100 hour HD capacity seeing as how hard drives aren't large enough yet. Maybe he meant 100 hour SD capacity.

A RAID array would, but that gets pricey!!

The CSR I spoke with also said the new HD channels would be displayed in 3D using a new holographic wideband download technique referred to as holoplex-III encryption. This revolutionary technique will require mpeg5 decoders to insure adequate reconstruction of the imagery. Using new 3D Terabyte 1 cm cubic centimeter memory crystals will replace the current digital magnetic media HDDs to provide 1000 hours of recording of full resolution 3D movies.

You're talking SCSI and those drives alone are expensive let alone the card that it requires to hook up more than one.

If the 100 hour capacity for HD is true then they have to be talking about a new compression scheme.

Ti-maniac said:
The CSR I spoke with also said the new HD channels would be displayed in 3D using a new holographic wideband download technique referred to as holoplex-III encryption. This revolutionary technique will require mpeg5 decoders to insure adequate reconstruction of the imagery. Using new 3D Terabyte 1 cm cubic centimeter memory crystals will replace the current digital magnetic media HDDs to provide 1000 hours of recording of full resolution 3D movies.

I hope you are joking :D :D :D :D

Neutron said:

I specifically asked him whether he meant SD, and he repeated, reading from his screen, 100 hours of HD recording capacity. I am not sure why you think there are not hard drives large enough for this? The HD Tivo box has already been upgraded by some to handle 77 hours (dual 300GB drives).

Anyway, that's what he said...

You just answered my post. Do you realize how expensive these boxes will be with 2 300 Gig hard drives? Even still, you're 23 hours short.

Neutron said:
You just answered my post. Do you realize how expensive these boxes will be with 2 300 Gig hard drives? Even still, you're 23 hours short.

All I can tell you is what he told me. Perhaps with the MPEG 4 compression it will use less space...?

(and sorry to all for the double posting -- my computer froze and kicked me out of my browser just as I hit post, so I reposted without realising it had in fact gone through...)

msb212 said:
(and sorry to all for the double posting -- my computer froze and kicked me out of my browser just as I hit post, so I reposted without realising it had in fact gone through...)

no problem...

I think we are all skeptical about anything we hear from a CSR. Some of it may become true while other is not. This is why you will get this type of response. Now the NFL stuff has come up before but again who knows if that's going to happen.

September/October is not too far and we'll see what's going to happen.

rgarbonzo said:
Heck I'd be happy with MPEG-4 by the end of August

I would have a spontaneous orgasm if that happened :)

The one thing I find believable is the DVR will be delayed til next year :(

Bad news first: They will not switch to mpeg4 or wm9 certainly this year, if ever.

Good news is that I just saved binch of money on my car insurance.
:D :D :D :D :D

100 hours would require a 800 GB hard drive, the largest current drive on the market is 400 GB. The price would be prohibitive. They probably meant 100 hours of SD programming, which would be more along the lines of about a 250-300 GB hard drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)