Good News And Bad News...wow!!! (All Coming from CSR. Take it as you will)

LOL........that's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. That CSR should get a Grammy.
And NFL HD a week late,,,,,,,,,,,No Thanks!

Why do people keep thinking that HD will consume 8.5GB per hour? For 19.3 mbit ATSC, yes, but if you are running WM9 at 7 mbit, then you will need about 3.2GB for an hour and dual 160 GB drives or a single 320GB drive would give you 100 hours.

I wonder who has the H.264 HD realtime encoder... The only H.264 realtime encoder (commercial) I've seen is for SD... Maybe, they'll just compress the SD?

And H.264 at 7 Mbps would be a tad too little, IMO. It should be around 9 ~ 10 Mbps for good enough quality (some papers report that H.264 uses ~49%.of MPEG-2). At 9 Mbps, you need ~380 GB for 100 hours.

Hong.

Neutron said:
You're talking SCSI and those drives alone are expensive let alone the card that it requires to hook up more than one.

If the 100 hour capacity for HD is true then they have to be talking about a new compression scheme.

You don't need to use scsi anymore to do raid. You've got firewire raid, which is bridge chipped ide drives, you've got serial ata, you've got fiber channel, etc.

Mr.Poindexter said:
Why do people keep thinking that HD will consume 8.5GB per hour? For 19.3 mbit ATSC, yes, but if you are running WM9 at 7 mbit, then you will need about 3.2GB for an hour and dual 160 GB drives or a single 320GB drive would give you 100 hours.
Good point, Mr. P, we keep forgetting about WM9. :p

DarrellP said:
Good point, Mr. P, we keep forgetting about WM9. :p
What I find most disturbing is this talk of smaller bit rates once the new compression scheme hits. I don't want the signal compressed MORE!!! I don't care what scheme you use. Keep the same bit rate and move to WM9 and THEN the picture quality should be what it needs to be. If compression artifacts is the future of television I might actually get something done other than watching TV.

I'm sorry, but this thread sounds like BS to me...

Maybe CSR BS, but BS just the same. :smug

msb212 said:
Wow. Just hung up with a VOOM CSR and found out the following:

First the bad news: The VOOM PVR has been delayed until January 2005.

Now, the good news: The reason I was given was that they were upgrading the box to include the following: 100 HOURS OF HD RECORDING CAPACITY!!!! FIREWIRE OUTPUT!!! They are also planning a wireless capability (which may not be new information), but he seemed to think this would include the ability to stream music and other things from a computer on the network (though he wasn't certain).

I was also told that VOOM will go to MPEG 4 by the end of August, and that Voom would be adding the following: EVERY NFL GAME WILL BE REBROADCAST IN HD for the week following it's initial play on Sunday! THey are also planning something similar for the NBA!!! He said that they would be unveiling some new VOOM original channels as well, and that Turner was upgrading certain of his other channels to HD which VOOM will carry. He also told me that USA is now up and running (which I didn't know). Also, Food Network and H&G will be added soon.

All in all, some great stuff here I think. If this info was already posted elsewhere, apologies!

What? No flying pigs, no frozen gates of hell...NO "TWO WEEKS"?

Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it's probably false. :yes

ChetK said:
What I find most disturbing is this talk of smaller bit rates once the new compression scheme hits. I don't want the signal compressed MORE!!! I don't care what scheme you use. Keep the same bit rate and move to WM9 and THEN the picture quality should be what it needs to be. If compression artifacts is the future of television I might actually get something done other than watching TV.

I thought WM9 was more compression...

It's better compression.

More data, less size. Chet's saying leave the stream the same size, just pack more data in to improve the PQ, right, Chet?

msb212 said:
He also said that they would be going to MPEG 4 by the end of August
This I dont believe. I'll put my money on that they dont have MPEG 4 in place by the end of AUgust. Im hoping its true...but Im sure its not.

riffjim4069 said:
SD - MPEG-4/WM9 1st Quarter 2005
HD - MPEG-4/WM9 4th Quarter 2005
I'm not waiting another 1 1/2 years for good HD, if they don't improve by Dec, I'm dumping Voom. I hardly watch it, why dump money down the toilet? :(

I understand from my CSR that the new dylithium crystals extend the recording life of Hd DVR forever.

And coupled with the newly discovered element terabyte...they're virtually indestructable! Great news!

Tvlman said:
I understand from my CSR that the new dylithium crystals extend the recording life of Hd DVR forever.

And coupled with the newly discovered element terabyte...they're virtually indestructable! Great news!
And...... don't forget the best news of all; The image will be full bitrate HD 3D surround hollographic processing with sense-surround suit for total immersion in your viewing environment. ;)

DarrellP said:
I'm not waiting another 1 1/2 years for good HD, if they don't improve by Dec, I'm dumping Voom. I hardly watch it, why dump money down the toilet? :(
I am not asking you wait...just telling you what has been published by Rainbow Media Enterprises. Personally, I have had the opportunity to preview the INHDs and HDNETs and I have not been impressed. Granted, the PQ has been a notch above VOOMs best, but there is still quite a bit of "substandard" material being shown on all 4 channels. Plus, other than MLB on INHD and one of two other shows, the content IMO is like taking a small subset of the VooM HD Exclusives. Heck, I think I watch Monsters HD more than I do all the INHDs and HDNETs.

My disclaimer is that the INHDs and HDNETs are being provided by Adelphia Cable and not D* or E*. However, both have StarzHD and I have noticed the PQ is indistinguishable between the two sources. Anyway, if you are not watching VooM then you are certainly wasting your money. Perhaps you should dump VooM and not your money down the toilet.

DarrellP said:

Why wait till Dec. If you hardly watch it just go already. Voom won't be the one responsible for its demise, all you nay sayers will be guity of corporate murder. Try posting something positive. You might like it.

r.jones1116 said:
Why wait till Dec. If you hardly watch it just go already. Voom won't be the one responsible for its demise, all you nay sayers will be guity of corporate murder. Try posting something positive. You might like it.
I post positive things about Voom & I really hope they succeed but their picture quality is way below what HD should be. Every single channel has mosquito noise and if you are not familiar with what it looks like, it looks like film grain that has come to life. Think of a swarm of film grain swimming around the screen, that is mosquito noise. Example: comparing Wild Wild West on Voom vs Dish last night: film grain could be seen on Dish but it was a constant, small grained artifact, as grain should be; on Voom, it was alive, swarming around and about twice the size of the film grain. Coupled with a way-too-soft picture, Voom needs vast improvement to seriously contend in the HD market.

You people who think it's alright have no idea what real HD looks like and it is so sad that you are content to let Voom get away with passing off this poor sub-standard picture as true HD. Well, sit back on your arse and let us do the work for you because it's the few squeaky wheels that get the grease and we will improve your picture viewing experience for you. :yes

I don't want to leave Voom, I really want them to succeed. Every email I send them, I get a response back that they are working on it, but as of today, I have not seen any improvement except on the stb end, so are they really working on it? Who knows? Certainly not any of us in the trenches. Maybe to them "working on it" is implementing WM9, but they should at least let us know instead of dragging us along like a horse with a carrot in front of it's nose.

even though I am new to Voom, I am a life on the bleeding-edger..

Just a few observations..

if any of you work for a living, don't you already know the CSR's in your company tend to be really LAME???Why on god's earth would all of you believe anything those folks are telling you? If you need to hear lies and made up stuff, frequent your local singles bar!!

Secondly, I have had Diirect TV hd, Comcast, hd, and now Voom, and I can tell you that even though Direct TV PQ IS better than VOOM in some cases, at least we have more than 4 channels; yeah pictures of fishtanks may not please everyone, but these shows AREN'T for intense scrutiny; they are BACKGROUND stuff for when you are reading, eating, talking and doing things normal people do..

NO SERVICE will ever make EVERYONE happy, as any of you that have dumped cable/dtv/echostar or whomever will agree with..Didnt everyone here do their research before signing up with VOOM??

Sure, I hope we get Regional sports, Sci Fi Channel, HDTV,a nd many others, but I know Voom is a work in progress, so patience is required..I bet 6 months from now, lots of things we love will be impletmented, and many of what we hate will be gone..

The corporate world moves at the speed of a Glacier, so many of us just need to chill, and see how things evolve..it is expensive to have Voom, but take a quick inverntory of the gear you have at home, and it will be obvious that most of us have a TON of $$ invested already..
This "Bleeding Edge" stuff is not for the weak at heart..

DarrellP said:
...I really hope they succeed but their picture quality is way below what HD should be. ...Coupled with a way-too-soft picture, Voom needs vast improvement to seriously contend in the HD market.
Darrell, sorry man, but I'm not going to complain about HD PQ anymore. I'm pretty sure it's not doing any good and the ignorant ones just don't care and are getting tired of hearing us complain.

DarrellP said:
You people who think it's alright have no idea what real HD looks like and it is so sad that you are content to let Voom get away with passing off this poor sub-standard picture as true HD. Well, sit back on your arse and let us do the work for you because it's the few squeaky wheels that get the grease and we will improve your picture viewing experience for you. :yes
I agree that it's sad, but I have to disagree with one thing: In this case, I don't thing the squeky wheels are going to get greased. You said it yourself: You haven't seen an improvement yet. Honestly, I think the PQ has gotten a bit better. I have enjoyed watching HBO a lot lately and I haven't seen macroblocking there lately. I'm not saying it's as good as Dish Network's PQ, but it's pretty darn close now. It could still be better.

If WM9 is their answer, then I don't things will improve much. I have compressed the same videos to WM7 and WM9 and, although WM9 is better, I can still see the compression at the same data rates. If they think they're going to use WM9 to reduce the data rates and get the same or better quality, it ain't gonna happen. Sorry. :smug

I know all about the noise ,soft picture, etc., etc. I have seen the INHDS and the HDNET and their PQ wasn't so much greater than VOOMS that I have to continually bash VOOM's PQ. This has turned into quite an obsession for some on this forum. I got news for you, HDNET isn't as good as HD can be either. The squeeky wheels will be what is driving off future subs. If you have a complaint, take a poll and see if it is a valid complaint. If it is valid, then continually e-mail or call Wilt or someone else that can do something about it. If you are watching TV on a 9.16 ft screen, you are going to see things that the average HDTV owner probably wouldn't notice. Sit further away from the screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts