Good place to buy a dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

alfaromeo155

Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I am looking for a dish 76cm or more (90cm, 1m , 1.2m). Where is the best and cheapest place to buy it?

The best place would be one that backs there products and gives support. You can find a couple of them at the top of this page (GOsatellite and SatelliteAV). As far as cheapest goes, you can usually find someting really cheap on EBay, but beware of there shipping charges. And a lot of those don't have any support for there product, so be sure they have a return policy and you can read it. Good Luck!

Al

depending on location, there may be someone local or semi local to you that wont gouge on shipping.

Try to find a freebe. Look for Primestars if they are in your area. If you decide to buy one I delt with Global Communications and Satellite AV. Both good places to do business with.

Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun, Sadoun,

The best place would be one that backs there products and gives support.
You can find a couple of them at the top of this page
Couple of years ago, I bought a 90cm from Sadoun.
It was one-stop shopping for an LNB, receiver, motor, and dish.
And you got a discount for buying it all together.

Today, if I were getting a 1.2m dish, I'd go to SatelliteAV and get his GeoSatPro 1.2 .
I like the elevation adjustment much better than the similarly sized Fortec.

I've dealt with both vendors, have been treated well, and after-sales support was good.

And besides that, not all dishes of any given size are created equal.
Some are paper-thin.
Here's some test results for dishes in the 76 to 90 cm size range. .
Note that the WINEGARD 2076 76 cm may be well built for its size, but a number of other dishes outperformed it.

The Best deal on a 90cm Azure Shine

I myself recently ordered from "3ABN.org" they are selling a good model with feed arm support brackets, it's almost identical to a GEOsat Pro 90cm dish except for the additional LNB feed arm support brackets. It uses the same LNB clamp bracket because it's made by the same mfg company. It also comes with a sturdy tripod style mount kit.

The price is only $50.00 with free shipping and only 3 states are charged tax, I paid under $54.00 for mine......CHECK 'EM OUT!!!
3ABN: Christian Television - Three Angels Broadcasting Network - www.3abn.org click on the "satellite" link in the menu bar and then scroll down. The picture is an actual photo of the real deal, it has there logo but who cares.

It's the 36" DISH KIT only, LNBF's are extra.

McGuyver, that sounds like a great deal. How sturdy is the dish? Does it mount well to a motor? Looks like something I might check out.

McGuyver - WOW! I don't know if I can justify another couple stationary dishes, but for that price, I'm sure contemplating it!

Good Deal

It's quite sturdy, the lnb feed arm is solid with the support brkts, it also feels a bit heavier than the GEOsat PRO, the dish is thicker I think, the only thing I don't like about the latest dish qualities (applies to any brand) is the plastic they use and the cheap hardware to speak honestly. But that shouldn't be a problem for anybody that has the skill to modify things or fabricate. I myself replaced the metric hardware with SAE because the SAE is a bit larger and fits the holes really snug, taking out the slop, besides that, the SAE hardware is hard and won't break. My GEOsat PRO dish was my first experience with this cheap metric hardware, the elevation adjustment bolts snapped off during the aiming procedure, both of them broke, I was pissed to say the least but I remedied that quik with SAE h/w. You may have to reem the holes (I only had to reem one) and do a little massaging here and there to the (elevation) shoulder bolts but that's easy to do. It pays off in the end with a nice solid dish and good performance. I set up two of these 3ABN dishes for a friend, pointed at 101.0W & 123.0W, they both work very well. I had both dishes delivered by UPS within 10 days to So Cal from West Frankfort, IL.

I hope this answers your questions, you can order by phone or online from the link I posted.

I'll put it on my Xmas list

After checking the web site and not finding a very good picture, I actually made my way to the Azure Shine site.
It was a bitch to navigate, and didn't find any 90cm dishes with support arms.

Any chance you might post a few pictures from different angles?
Kinda curious how the support arms connect and stiffen the LNB arm.
At the very least, it might give me some ideas for my 36" Fortec. :)

The hardware replacement isn't a big deal for a few bolts, but if they all were to need replacement, that could be a shopping nightmare.
I can just see it now, walking in to Home Depot with the big dish, and asking, "where's the hardware aisle?" :D

In googling to get more info, I did run across an old article (2004?) where DVBresource was reviewing "new" and heavier dishes from GeoSat/AzureShine.
Sounded encouraging on the use of more substantial material.

The price is only $50.00 with free shipping and only 3 states are charged tax, I paid under $54.00 for mine.
It's the 36" DISH KIT only, LNBF's are extra.
That free shipping makes it hard to argue with!

More Details

I forgot to mention about using with a motor, the post diameter is the same size as a Dish 500, same as 90cm GEOSATpro, it measures about 1-5/8" dia. (approx. 42mm), it's light enough for a small motor. The mounting post does not use the same strut clamping device as the GEOSATpro illustrated in DVBresource, it has 2 struts that bolt to the (upright) main post with a thru-bolt. I have sometimes drilled a hole in the post either above or below the factory hole to accomodate peculliar mounting situations, works fine. One thing I noticed, the thickness of the post pipe wall is thicker than the GEOSATpro. It's all together thicker guage material, heavier than the heavy described in DVBresource.

Any chance you might post a few pictures from different angles? Kinda curious how the support arms connect and stiffen the LNB arm. At the very least, it might give me some ideas for my 36" Fortec. :)

The supports are simply small diameter tubes with flattened ends with a single hole that fastens to the factory holes on the sides of the dish reflector and the other end fastens to the feed arm just in front of the LNB brkt using a horizontal hole, I believe all the Azure Shine 90cm models are stamped from the same jig, even my GEOSATpro has holes specifically for supports but they don't use them, I too will be adding supports to my GEOSATpro because it needs them.

I didn't take any pics of the set up at my friend's house, I should have because it turned out really nice, I made my own mounting rigs for his particular situation because I had to mount the dishes on the facia board of his house roof which are angled at 20* deg. Next time I go to his house I'll take my camera.

The hardware replacement isn't a big deal for a few bolts, but if they all were to need replacement, that could be a shopping nightmare. I can just see it now, walking in to Home Depot with the big dish, and asking, "where's the hardware aisle?" :D

Leave the dish at home and just take a small list with you, it's very simple to get the right hardware once you've seen the factory stuff and compare, in fact, I'll give you a list;

(1) 1/4"-20 x 3" for the elevation top pivot bolt, standard hex bolt is fine.
(2) 1/4"-20 x 3/4" shoulder bolts for elevation adjustment.
(2) 1/4"-20 x 1-1/4" shoulder bolts for the azimuth post clamp, longer than factory so you can spread the clamp if needed.
(5) 1/4"-20 nuts

The shoulder bolts are the typical style with a round dome shaped head and a square shoulder just like the factory stuff you find on all small dishes, except you use SAE 1/4" hardware.

All the hardware is standard stuff you can find easily, I used the factory washers and you don't need to replace any of the other hardware as long as you don't over tighten to the point of breaking.

In googling to get more info, I did run across an old article (2004?) where DVBresource was reviewing "new" and heavier dishes from GeoSat/AzureShine.
Sounded encouraging on the use of more substantial material.

That free shipping makes it hard to argue with!
DVBresource is good but it's not particularily describing the 3ABN dish although they are very similar.

And they use UPS for shipping, a whole lot better that FED UP, I mean FED EX! :D

good work, Jimmy Olsen !

McGuyver - :up

Thanks for the superb job reporting on that dish and how to improve it.
I'm sure a number of members will benefit from your post .
And if they don't see it, we'll point them to it!

The additional $15 for a generic LNB is pretty good (shipped?), too.
To get the price-with-shipping down to $10, on the $6.95 LNBs I found at IvyStonePlace, I had to buy four. :rolleyes:

Mexico LNB's?

Thanks for the compliment too!:D

McGuyver - :up

Thanks for the superb job reporting on that dish and how to improve it.
I'm sure a number of members will benefit from your post .
And if they don't see it, we'll point them to it!

The additional $15 for a generic LNB is pretty good (shipped?), too.
To get the price-with-shipping down to $10, on the $6.95 LNBs I found at IvyStonePlace, I had to buy four. :rolleyes:

Are those any good? Can't be worse than the China brand's I guess...I may need to buy a couple for a project.

BTW, the improvement tips apply to any of the Azure Shine smaller dishes and I'm sure some others like the Fortec Star's. I can't stand trying to tune a sloppy dish, can't fine tune it very well.

seemed okay

Are those any good?
Can't be worse than the China brand's I guess...I may need to buy a couple for a project.
Somewhere a few pages into LinuxMan's thread on 123/129, I shipped him one for his experiments.
Seemed to work out okay, and he bought more.
You can search the forum for other comments on it.
Probably use the keyword: "ivystoneplace" or "sky mexico"

Or maybe try an Invacom SNH-031 if you find it for a reasonable price. :)

Sky Mexico LNBF

Somewhere a few pages into LinuxMan's thread on 123/129, I shipped him one for his experiments.
Seemed to work out okay, and he bought more.
You can search the forum for other comments on it.
Probably use the keyword: "ivystoneplace" or "sky mexico"

Or maybe try an Invacom SNH-031 if you find it for a reasonable price. :)

I have one Invacom SNH-031 universal that I'm keeping for myself, I'm looking for inexpensive LNBF's for future setups I may do for friend's. Are those universal and what's the noise level?

BTW, I myself watch programming on 123 but what's on 129 that's FTA? I already have a stand alone 18" dish pointed at 129 to compliment my Dish Network subscription programming, I get 2 channels from it I think, 3ABN and Educator TV. I have an older DN legacy digital receiver, model 3700. I don't have any HD equipment :(

123 and 129

OOOps! It just dawned on me what's on 129, I remember now, White Springs TV, the E* sat is what I was thinking of when I wrote the previous post. never mind.....:eek:

little gotcha

When you set up an account on that site to order the dish, they sign you up for some email spam.
Just go to the "Edit My Subscriptions" and add or delete as you see fit.
I planed for something like that, and used my Yahoo mail address - they have very trainable spam filters.

I was wondering if they only took money from card-carrying members. :rolleyes:
Apparently my -green back- is fine with them. :D

What's typical processing and delivery time, and do they send you a UPS tracking number?

Dish Orders from 3ABN.org

When you set up an account on that site to order the dish, they sign you up for some email spam.
Just go to the "Edit My Subscriptions" and add or delete as you see fit.
I planed for something like that, and used my Yahoo mail address - they have very trainable spam filters.

I was wondering if they only took money from card-carrying members. :rolleyes:
Apparently my -green back- is fine with them. :D

What's typical processing and delivery time, and do they send you a UPS tracking number?

Oh, it's only a news letter and if you do get one you can always unsubscribe, it's not spam if you initially sign up I guess.....

So, it sounds like you ordered one....did you?:)

They receive a lot of orders and it may vary how long they take to process but the average time may be about 10 days, I got mine about 10 or 12 days later. They send you a email confirmation but I don't recall getting a tracking number, days later you will get a printed receipt in the mail also. One thing about 3ABN is that they have never fouled up my orders, I have ordered a few other complete dish systems from them over the past 4 years and have always had flawless service. :up

When you set up an account on that site to order the dish, ...
Yes, I ordered the AzureShine dish from 3ABN, tonight.
I'm not going to stress over delivery.
But, my UPS man might, if I'm not home to receive it! :)

Yes, the SkyMexico LNB is universal.
No specs on the noise figure.
See the LinuxMan thread; he doesn't say anything bad about it.

There's apparently something new on 129º, besides just Whitesprings.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)