Good results with new 811

raynist

Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
Just got an 811 yesteraday and hooked it up to my CM4228. Initially I got all of my stations (ABC, NBC, PBS, WB, Fox) exfept CBS. It came in with a 84 signal strength but would not add it to the list. After letting the 811 find the station 2 more times it finally found my CBS. It does take a bit of time for it to tune in my ABC and CBS even though both have a 80+ singal strength, but all in all I am pleased with the 811 (so far, just had it one night).

Just thought I would make a good post about the 811 since it seems most posts are negative.

I am an Pittsburgh, PA -- about 15 miles from each broadcast tower.

--Ray

raynist said:
Just got an 811 yesteraday and hooked it up to my CM4228. Initially I got all of my stations (ABC, NBC, PBS, WB, Fox) exfept CBS. It came in with a 84 signal strength but would not add it to the list. After letting the 811 find the station 2 more times it finally found my CBS. It does take a bit of time for it to tune in my ABC and CBS even though both have a 80+ singal strength, but all in all I am pleased with the 811 (so far, just had it one night).

Just thought I would make a good post about the 811 since it seems most posts are negative.

I am an Pittsburgh, PA -- about 15 miles from each broadcast tower.

--Ray

If you are just 15 miles from the transmitters your 4228 is probably overkill. Your signal may be too hot for the 811. That could be why you're having problems. Get an attenuator at Radio shack and see if that helps.

There are many, many hills and rough terrain in that 15 miles though, I will try it to see if it locks the stations quicker though.

Thanks
Ray

I have another question. My first time to post -- so hope I'm doing this correctly.

I have just been to OrbitSat and see that I can purchase the VOOM system or Dish Direct 811 receiver for practically nothing - apparently shipping only (roughly $25.00). What's the deal -- why wouldn't I obtain either system here rather than to go to my installer for the 811 and pay $199.00?

My initial impressions of the 811 have also been very positive. (I've had it for a couple of days now.) I think you just don't hear too many glowing reports because it doesn't make for interesting reading. ;-)

It's definitely an improvement in stability and speed over my old Hughes HD receiver (DirecTV).

Comer said:
I have another question. My first time to post -- so hope I'm doing this correctly.

I have just been to OrbitSat and see that I can purchase the VOOM system or Dish Direct 811 receiver for practically nothing - apparently shipping only (roughly $25.00). What's the deal -- why wouldn't I obtain either system here rather than to go to my installer for the 811 and pay $199.00?

I only had to pay shipping for my 811 also from Dish Network. Maybe it is a promotion running for current subscribers.

Call Dish (1-800-333-3474) and inquire about it, you will most likely get the equipment for free.

--Ray

I almost fell off the toilet when I called Dish to ask for a $99 811 and was told: "I have good news for you--that will only cost you $24.95". My only response was "you guys are the best". What else could I say?? A bona fide HD receiver for free?? Yowser!!

First off this is my first post. I called DN and they are sending me the 811 for the shipping price of 24.95, so when I get it I will probally be asking many questions cause I am totally clueless about all this audio video stuff. I just thought of a ? what is the difference between the 6000 and the 811 in terms I can maybe understand. Thanks :)

skidog said:
First off this is my first post. I called DN and they are sending me the 811 for the shipping price of 24.95, so when I get it I will probally be asking many questions cause I am totally clueless about all this audio video stuff. I just thought of a ? what is the difference between the 6000 and the 811 in terms I can maybe understand. Thanks :)

I have had both. Here are my thoughs

6000 has a RGB output the 811 has a DVI.
6000 Themes are useless, 811 themes are useful
2 day guide with the 811, 6000 does not have a 2 day guide.
811 is much faster in terms of UI response.
811 has no fan.
PQ is similar. Some reported 6000 is better others say 811 is better. Not sure what the thought is with the 2.69
6000 is black. 811 is silver.
For me, I get better OTA reception with my 811. Some say the 6000 does a better job.
811 has an update interface similar to the 508. 6000's guide is older.
6000 is currently more stable and has less bugs. More mature product in terms of software working as designed.

I am sure there are more differences, but those are for starters.

Good results............1 week

I've had my 811 1 week now and its great, tomorrow I'm going into Ann Arbor to get my roof antenna.

I'm probably 50 miles from the broadcast antennas, hopefuly the installers will know the best unit for me.

Can someone explain the grey columns on the HD channels? Last night during the baseball they were there on and off with what seemed no consistancy.

Will a DVI cable be an upgrade over the components I'm using now?

Thank you for your time

Tony

skewiff said:
Can someone explain the grey columns on the HD channels? Last night during the baseball they were there on and off with what seemed no consistancy.
Is this one ESPN HD? There is a Gray bar format that places these grey bars on 4x3 content. In the case of ESPN-HD, ESPN places an ESPN logo on 4x3 content to fill in the black areas. You must have your 811 set in the grey bar mode. Press the pg up button and that will change it to the different modes.

skewiff said:
Will a DVI cable be an upgrade over the components I'm using now?
Mileage will vary depending on the TV you are using. I have a LCD rear projection and it made a marginal improvment. I did it mainly for convience and so I can use my other component hook up for my PS2.

Thanks WeeJavadude

Even though I had the ESPNHD on the grey bar it was still coming and going.

What do you mean by mileage? I've a Hitachi 57s500 rptv.

Tony

skewiff said:
Even though I had the ESPNHD on the grey bar it was still coming and going.

What do you mean by mileage? I've a Hitachi 57s500 rptv.

Tony

What I mean it depends on your TV and the type of TV. My understanding is that with RPTVs you will not see a huge difference and maybe none at all. There are some technical reason doing with where digital becomes analog and if you do a search you should find some.

The added benefit of keeping it Component is that you can hook up your DVD player to your component hookup using AVIA to calibrate the input and then hook up your 811. Unless you have a DVI DVD player you cannot do this with your DVD player. I am assuming independent input control on your RPTV.

Maybe someone with Hitachi experience can chime in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts