Goodbye Charlie... (OFFICIAL I am Leaving DISH Thread)

Nothing wrong with Fios as long as you get promotional pricing which thus far has been the case with them. I couldn't afford them if I had to pay the regular fees for everything. I'm not in love with their DVR, but it is serviceable though limited in respects. The E* DVR is still the best I've ever used with its flexible combination of OTA and sat tuner recording and larger capacity.
I agree that Dish's DVRs are the best we have ever had, and with the OTA integration I thought we would never leave. But using the On Demand feature frees up a tuner or two. As far as pricing, even if the Promotional discount isn't applied it is still less than Dish + CC HSI + Vonage. Plus the HSI speed way faster. FIOS is supposed to activate the External HD feature, up to 1 TB, no fee, so storage won't be an issue.

DVR's are The reason I still have DISH; it's easier to 'move' too... Verizon has cheaper fees and triple or quad play. I wish we still had Verizon. DISH is second best if you can live without football or baseball packages. Cable, well don't go there...

Last edited:
That's funny, the girl behind the counter said the same thing as I dropped off my cable boxes when I switched to Dish six years ago.

I wonder if she meant soon or just EVER. I mean, I've got another 55 good years.

This must be the standard line that cables companies near and far all use for their farewell speech. My buddy got it from his CC when he left for Direct 14 years ago, and I got it when I bolted for Dish...with a totally different CC...lol.

My reply to the nice lady was..."No offense, but you're joking, right?"

It's time for my Goodbye Dish post. As much as I liked Dish Network DVR technology, by far the best I have used, and I liked the fact that I could easily turn my Vip 211k box into a single-tuner DVR, there were too many reasons to switch to Directv:
1- Availability of NY RSN, all of them in HD, 24x7
2- Availability of Gol Tv in HD - Dish won't carry it not even in SD!
3- Single DVR fee, no matter how many DVR boxes I have
4- ESPNU HD - huge plus for the Fifa U-17 in progress and Fifa U-20, to start late in July
5- The Sport Mix channels - Wimbledon coverage was great! That's something that Dish used to have and I liked it quite a bit, back when I was a Dish SD subscribed in early 2000s.
6- The integrated YouTube search - For a parent of a toddler that loves her Giggle Bellies YouTube Videos, it's very handy tool!
7- Overall superior Internet connectivity - Tons of on-Demand content, very easy accessible
8- Directv MRV, simple, no hassle.
9- The cherry on the top of the cake: The Sunday Ticket for free this year - of course, assuming there's a NFL season.

In addition to the receivers, the other thing that I miss from Dish is BBC America HD. The other channels in HD that Dish carries that Directv I don't miss them, the E!s, AMCs, etc.I also miss the fact that I used to get BabyFirstTv for free and now it's a monthly premium. But that was easily covered by all the additional discounts that I'll have for 1 year, plus the 10 off AAA discount for 20 months.

For more on my Directv install experience, see below:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/221337-former-dish-net-new-customers-read-15.html#post2573107

To finalize, I'd like to thank everyone that helped me while I was a Dish subscriber. I'm going to continue to take a peek into the Dish Network forum, and I'm goign to be an active participant on the Directv one. Special thanks to Scott, for running this great web site, and to Digiblur - boy, I wished there was a Uplink Directv report....

It's time for my Goodbye Dish post. As much as I liked Dish Network DVR technology, by far the best I have used, and I liked the fact that I could easily turn my Vip 211k box into a single-tuner DVR, there were too many reasons to switch to Directv:
1- Availability of NY RSN, all of them in HD, 24x7
2- Availability of Gol Tv in HD - Dish won't carry it not even in SD!
3- Single DVR fee, no matter how many DVR boxes I have
4- ESPNU HD - huge plus for the Fifa U-17 in progress and Fifa U-20, to start late in July
5- The Sport Mix channels - Wimbledon coverage was great! That's something that Dish used to have and I liked it quite a bit, back when I was a Dish SD subscribed in early 2000s.
6- The integrated YouTube search - For a parent of a toddler that loves her Giggle Bellies YouTube Videos, it's very handy tool!
7- Overall superior Internet connectivity - Tons of on-Demand content, very easy accessible
8- Directv MRV, simple, no hassle.
9- The cherry on the top of the cake: The Sunday Ticket for free this year - of course, assuming there's a NFL season.

In addition to the receivers, the other thing that I miss from Dish is BBC America HD. The other channels in HD that Dish carries that Directv I don't miss them, the E!s, AMCs, etc.I also miss the fact that I used to get BabyFirstTv for free and now it's a monthly premium. But that was easily covered by all the additional discounts that I'll have for 1 year, plus the 10 off AAA discount for 20 months.

For more on my Directv install experience, see below:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/221337-former-dish-net-new-customers-read-15.html#post2573107

To finalize, I'd like to thank everyone that helped me while I was a Dish subscriber. I'm going to continue to take a peek into the Dish Network forum, and I'm goign to be an active participant on the Directv one. Special thanks to Scott, for running this great web site, and to Digiblur - boy, I wished there was a Uplink Directv report....

#3- they do charge a mirroring fee passed two dvr's.

i wish directv had uplink reports but to be fair theres much more activity on the Dish side so maybe it wouldn't be that useful for dierctv. Dish still has the best hardware imho but you'll get used to the HR24 assuming thats what you got. anything else will be disappointing. welcome to directv. any help you need just ask. :)

Good Bye & good luck, let's face it D* does more sports if one is into that. My guess is free Sun ticket will be a short thing this year as so it looks like the football season will be too. Hope you like the equipment cause you will be under contract for 2 years.

rey Directv charges $7 regardless of how many you have. Maybe he meant Dish double dips the DVR fee...$6 fee and then the extra $3 on top of that for having extra DVR's

I think Rey was talking about the Mirror fee for extra boxes. Which is of course different than another DVR fee.

jerryez said:
DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE A**.

Come on no need for this...

A good customer is one who tells you why they are not happy. A bad customer is one who fires the company without saying a word.

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!

Scott Greczkowski said:

A good customer is one who tells you why they are not happy. A bad customer is one who fires the company without saying a word.

Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Scott Greczkowski said:

Well said. No reason to get nasty with someone who is being honest.

I applaud someone who gets the right price, programming and proper service. Regardless of the carrier.

rey Directv charges $7 regardless of how many you have. Maybe he meant Dish double dips the DVR fee...$6 fee and then the extra $3 on top of that for having extra DVR's
Thanks Iceberg, that's what I meant indeed. I pay 1 DVR fee, then it's 6 bucks per extra box, irrespectively of the extra box being another DVR or a regular HD receiver. On Dish, I'd pay 17 bucks, if I recall correctly, for the second HD DVR, on top of the 6 bucks DVR service fee.

When I called to cancel Dish today, I was asked why. I clearly said: Lack of NY RSNs, Gol Tv and ESPNU in HD. Once I said lack of NY RSNs, they didn't even insisted in keeping me.

... Hope you like the equipment cause you will be under contract for 2 years.
Like I said on my Goodbye post: "As much as I liked Dish Network DVR technology, by far the best I have used, and I liked the fact that I could easily turn my Vip 211k box into a single-tuner DVR..." Dish equipment is better indeed. But I think the Directv DVR boxes that I got(forgot which ones, will check tonight and update post), are actually very decent, better than Comcast Moto DVRs for sure! Also, as I said in my Directv forum posting, the need to enable the dual play before you can switch between tuners, and the need to do it every 2 hours, is a pain... on the flip side, Directv DVR boxes that I have hold up to 90 minutes of programming in the buffer, versus 1 hour with Dish 722k or the Dish 211k + External HD.
Re the 2 year contract, maybe it's because I am in my late thirties already, but I'm starting to be under the impression that the 2 year commitments actually fly by... I had Dish for a bit over 2 years, previously I had comcast for almost 4, I had Sprint for 4 and I'm already almost in my 2 year commitment with Verizon Wireless... as the saying goes, time flies, once you notice, 2 years have come and gone....

DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE A**.
i'll never understand this awful attitude.
when someone leaves D* one of things i tell them is they are going to love the equipment for dish. i try to give it to them straight both dish and directv subs. that includes the negative and positive. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts