Goodbye Dish

Jerico1

Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
Inola,Oklahoma
I'm not here to flame you, at least not too much. But i do feel after the years we have been with you & never asking for or receiving any upgrades on our ancient 500 receiver, you could have given us a little more consideration on an upgrade, at least to a 522 as all the ads i've received thru the mail says existing customers are entitled to. I tried very hard to convince a couple of your csr's in this regard to no avail. Well i'm now thru trying & have an install coming from another service. No need to mention which one on this Dish forum. Your CEO's should monitor these forums ,just to see how many customers you're losing because you disregard your existing customers in favor of signing up new subs. This was even brought up on Charlie Chat. Also you should make an attempt to answer your e-mail, it's the courteous thing to do. BTW, you're losing a very loyal customer that has spent literally thousands of dollars on your service,but loyalty only goes so far. Regards, Jerico1

Jerico1 said:
I'm not here to flame you, at least not too much. But i do feel after the years we have been with you & never asking for or receiving any upgrades on our ancient 500 receiver, you could have given us a little more consideration on an upgrade, at least to a 522 as all the ads i've received thru the mail says existing customers are entitled to. I tried very hard to convince a couple of your csr's in this regard to no avail. Well i'm now thru trying & have an install coming from another service. No need to mention which one on this Dish forum. Your CEO's should monitor these forums ,just to see how many customers you're losing because you disregard your existing customers in favor of signing up new subs. This was even brought up on Charlie Chat. Also you should make an attempt to answer your e-mail, it's the courteous thing to do. BTW, you're losing a very loyal customer that has spent literally thousands of dollars on your service,but loyalty only goes so far. Regards, Jerico1

There is not a 500 receiver. 501 maybe? I don't think any of the 5xx series receivers are considered "ancient."

thiggin2 said:
Maybe he was talking about a 5000, those came out quite a while ago.

Ah yes. I just assumed it was 5xx series since it was three digits. Didn't think about a missing digit.

Hi Guys,
Well i always thought it was a series 5000 receiver, but the User Guide says EchoStar DISHPlayer 500 on the cover. Anyway, not to mis-lead anyone, it's the only receiver we've had & we signed on to Dish almost 5 years ago. I do know it's not a 501 or a 510, it's just a receiver & not a DVR.
Regards, Jerico1

Well if it makes you feel any better. When you get sick of the other provider charging you alot more money for the service. After three months you can come back to Dish as a new DHA customer and get the 522 for free.

Jerico1 said:
Hi Guys,
Well i always thought it was a series 5000 receiver, but the User Guide says EchoStar DISHPlayer 500 on the cover. Anyway, not to mis-lead anyone, it's the only receiver we've had & we signed on to Dish almost 5 years ago. I do know it's not a 501 or a 510, it's just a receiver & not a DVR.
Regards, Jerico1
Unh. I think your book doesn't match your box. DishPlayer IS a DVR.

Doesn't matter, tho - E* is still in the UTTERLY STUPID habit of screwing existing customers.

Dishplayer + 5 yr. old sounds like a 7100 or a 7200 original DISHPLAYER. It was DISH 500 compatible. Welcome to Directv you will be much happier and programming can be cheaper if you are a good shopper. May I suggest subscribing to Directv Para Todos programming. The Opcion Ultra Especial package will get you Total Choice Plus minus about 7 channels that probably won't be missed and costs $39.99 and is not going up March 1st. Under the new promotion starting March 1st you will pay for Opcion Ultra Especial but will receive Opcion Premier which includes the Sports Pak with all 4 Premium Movie services for $39.99 for the 1st three months. That's a $48/Mo. savings for 3 months and the Opcion Ultra Especial will save $6/Mo. even after the promotion ends. :) :) :) Also while you are getting the Opcion Premier package you won't pay the $4.99 TiVo fee.

It seems to me that the only way to win at this game is to switch providers periodically so that each time you are regarded as a new customer. I have been with E* since I don't know when (I bought an original 1000 receiver which I just replaced with an 811 recently). I think E* has the best pricing package and that is why I like them. I suppose I am a tightwad. The only problem with switching providers is that your receivers won't work with another provider.

ktriebol said:
It seems to me that the only way to win at this game is to switch providers periodically so that each time you are regarded as a new customer. I have been with E* since I don't know when (I bought an original 1000 receiver which I just replaced with an 811 recently). I think E* has the best pricing package and that is why I like them. I suppose I am a tightwad. The only problem with switching providers is that your receivers won't work with another provider.
Well thats what makes America so great you can make choices. You can do the switch game but with some provider I think you have to change you personal info to be considered a NEW customer if you've been with them before.
Everyone has there own opinion, I like E* myself even tho they do LIE alot, I still think they have the better packages and offers for what I watch and like.

Trust me Direct TV is no better. Been there done that.

Once a company gets to the size of D* or E* its all the same.

Jerico1 I hear what your saying. Same thing happened to me.... well sort of. My 1996 Thunderbird is getting old and worn out. I went to the Ford dealership and asked them if I could upgrade to a new one or at least a better model. The guy looked at me funny and said I could BUY a new one. I was in total disbelief that I would have to BUY
one..... so I made a few phone calls and also had no luck. So now I am going to go with a different company. Funny thing is the same thing happened when I tried to upgrade my T.V. to HD. Sears told me I would have to BUY a new T.V. So I just went to Best Buy and bought one. What is this country coming to, no more free upgrades.

Wow. What a stupid analogy. The car sales model is in no way parallel to the service provider model.

You see, if your original car was given to you for free, in exchange for using Ford's monthly driving service for a minimum amount of time, and after subscribing to that service for many years, having giving Ford lots of money over those years, you might assume that Ford would want to give you another car, if not free, then at a huge discount, if you were to promise to use their service for another period of time. This would be even more true if they were still giving new customers free cars for signing on to their service.

You see, that is what the cell phone providers do. They allow you to get the same new-customer deals on new phones, after you have been a customer for a while, if you sign up for another service period. Most will also allow you to switch to whatever new, better, and cheaper plan they offer, at any time, if you sign up for a new contract.

Remember, we are not talking about a $30,000 vehicle, where all the profit is made on that sale. We are talking about an electronic device that costs them maybe $100 or so (despite the inflated figures of Charlie on his chats), where all of the profit is made on the service.

Man I wish Nextel would give you new phones for free

You singed up to get a service. You were given equipment to use that service for free. If you want new equipment you have to buy it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)