Goodbye Tivo!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I really hope the new boxes can also be hard drive upgradable like the Tivo units....

If they have a hard drive, which they to, they can be hacked. I read at TCF that it is a Linux based box.

As far as goodbye TiVo, the real rumor is saying D* may try to buy TiVo ... that would not be too shocking, considering they have 150,000 more subs. Either way there are still Ultimate-TV boxes out there and that has been dead 3 years so I am sure D* will continue to support DirecTivo

Why is this such "news"?
Both Peter Chernin and Eddie Hartenstein have talked about NDS boxes in the past.
And DirecTV has a contract with TiVo that doesn't expire until 2007.
So why the hysteria, when DirecTV execs have talked openly for many months about getting a low-cost, less feature-laden DVR in subscriber's homes?

rad said:
Has anyone been able to hack a E* PVR yet?
I read in one of the forums (I think it was DD)that someone upgraded their drive, I think the real question is why would you want to? These units are known for their poor functionality and have generally been an example of what not to do when building a DVR.

Tivo was hacked because it was the one most worth hacking. I know that UTV & XBOX are also both hackable units ... but I am not sure why.

I have been working on learning Linux for a couple months now, for the sole purpose of getting the most out of my devices that use this OS :D ... and I still have 3 more years to figure it out before my DTivo goes anywhere.

I'm still wondering why Tivo (and I guess Replay) aren't hot out of the Gate with Cable Card capable STBs. This would be like having a "DirectTV" deal with every single digital cable suppiler, but without having to worry about a contract with them.

The cable card turns the STB into a commodity, which is a good thing.

Cyclone said:
I'm still wondering why Tivo (and I guess Replay) aren't hot out of the Gate with Cable Card capable STBs. This would be like having a "DirectTV" deal with every single digital cable suppiler, but without having to worry about a contract with them.

The cable card turns the STB into a commodity, which is a good thing.
Tivo is not hot out of the gate with anything. It has been 5 years and D* is the one who invented the dual-tuner and HD boxes that TiVo has long talked about but never produced.

I am not positive about this but I think I read somewhere TiVo will also post a $450M loss, that cannot be good for R&D which is the most expensive of all electronics divisions.

If I was the head of "Cyclone Electronics Inc", I would build a Tivo Like Digitial Cable Card STB. I'd build in a Docis 2.0 Cable Modem with a 802.11 WAP. And I'd make it a DVR with optional DVD-+RW burner. Oh, and you could swap out the Hard Drive with any old IDE drive.

It would be HDTV compatible BTW.

Kinda off topic,

I have an older Sony Sat-60 Tivo/DTV box. When I bought it I purchased the lifetime subscription. The HDD crapped out on it quite a while ago. I disconnected the box from DTV to stop paying the $5 for the additional box. I would like to repair the HDD on the Tivo and hook it back up in one of my bedrooms.

So if I repair the box and call DTV to hook it back up, will I have to pay extra for the Tivo service now? Do they have a record that I had the lifetime package?

Would I be better off just buying a new Tivo/DTV box? I see they still don't have any connections greater than S-Video but the cooling system on the new units seems much better than my Sony has.

I saw someone say something about getting a OLD customer discount on the new HD-Tivos, what would one do to get this discount?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)