Google Assistant (voice search) not working on Joeys (but just fine on Hopper 3)

Wax Bean Tycoon

Original poster
Sep 27, 2021
Hartford, CT
OK, so, as part of an issue I had with Hopper 3 taking up alot of bandwidth, (and DVR not working well), I had the Hopper 3 replaced today (same model). (previous topic: " Hopper 3 sucking up all the bandwidth" )

Everything seems good, and the Hopper is once again connected wirelessly to the internet. The Joeys have not been replaced. They are model 3 Joeys (not wireless).

The NEW problem is............I just discovered that the Voice Search is not working on the Joeys, but it works fine on the Hopper 3 television.

I'm not "signed in" to my Google Account (I don't need to control smart devices with the remote) just voice search for television shows, or "what is the temperature in xxx" ).

The technician who replaced the Hopper didn't test the voice search on joeys because I said I would connect to the internet later, which I did.

When I try a voice search on all 3 joeys, I get an instant message, "Sorry we didn't catch that. Please try again in a few seconds"...........followed by "We're having trouble processing your request, please try again."

It happens EVERY time, not once has it worked on a joey, and the "Sorry we didn't catch that" message starts 1 second after pressing the voice button.

What the heck? Is there some process by which I have to "retrain" Google Assistant with my voice? There doesn't seem to be any setting to do that, or need to. Again the brand new Hopper 3 works just fine with voice search just not the 3 joeys now. They were working before the new Hopper 3 was installed.

Last edited:
Are other internet-related things working on the Joey's? Like netflix or on demand? First thing I would check is to see if bridging is enabled on the new Hopper (Home x2 >> Settings >> Internet >> Advanced Tab). Bridging, as the name implies, bridges whatever internet connection you have to the MoCA network (AKA what the Joey's use to connect to the Hopper) so that may be your issue.

Reactions: charlesrshell
OK, so, as part of an issue I had with Hopper 3 taking up alot of bandwidth, (and DVR not working well), I had the Hopper 3 replaced today (same model). (previous topic: " Hopper 3 sucking up all the bandwidth" )

Everything seems good, and the Hopper is once again connected wirelessly to the internet. The Joeys have not been replaced. They are model 3 Joeys (not wireless).

The NEW problem is............I just discovered that the Voice Search is not working on the Joeys, but it works fine on the Hopper 3 television.

I'm not "signed in" to my Google Account (I don't need to control smart devices with the remote) just voice search for television shows, or "what is the temperature in xxx" ).

The technician who replaced the Hopper didn't test the voice search on joeys because I said I would connect to the internet later, which I did.

When I try a voice search on all 3 joeys, I get an instant message, "Sorry we didn't catch that. Please try again in a few seconds"...........followed by "We're having trouble processing your request, please try again."

It happens EVERY time, not once has it worked on a joey, and the "Sorry we didn't catch that" message starts 1 second after pressing the voice button.

What the heck? Is there some process by which I have to "retrain" Google Assistant with my voice? There doesn't seem to be any setting to do that, or need to. Again the brand new Hopper 3 works just fine with voice search just not the 3 joeys now. They were working before the new Hopper 3 was installed.
This is actually not uncommon, in my experience, with slow internet speeds but also, I suspect that Frontier Gateway is an issue in itself.

Reactions: charlesrshell
UPDATE: Thanks for the replys ethanlerma and HipKat, but magically.........overnight..........the issue resolved itself. The voice search function is working on the joeys.

I wondered and hoped this would happen. There must have been a software update overnight. Who knows. Stupid technology lol.

I didn't get a chance to check whether bridging function was on or off, as ethanlerma suggested. It's nice that the system fixed itself, but I usually like to find the problem myself, just to learn from it and know what was the cause, but meh....it works now ;-)

thanks again, this message board is awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts