GOOGLE & DISH to Collaborate

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
So let me get this straight.. this is why Dish is pushing so damn hard for Connectivity so they can let Google ram advertising down our throats???
Yes. That's exactly right. That's all Google TV does. It just rams advertising down your throat. That's it. For you, that is.

But, for the rest of us, it's a seamless bridge that allows both traditional TV and web TV, as well as the full content of the web, to be viewed through our HDTV's.

And, because it's Android-powered, with many 3rd party apps already being developed for it, it will most likely be able to do a host of other things, such as stream media content from devices on your home network, and access all of Google's apps, Gmail, Calendar, Talk, Voice, Blogger, Picasa, YouTube, Earth, Blogger, etc.

I'm looking forward to it. (I may be getting one early, for reasons I can't say. And, if I do, I probably won't be able to share much info about it anyway. Sorry.)

My internet is crappy Cable One (The only thing offered at speeds abot 1.5mbps) in my area of Alabama. They monitor account usage from 12 pm to 12 am. If your account uploads or downloads 2gigs or more, your speed is dropped to 1.5mbps. This sucks for streaming video. I was also told by Cable One that many internet providers do this. So many people may end up having issues with services like this.

Yes. That's exactly right. That's all Google TV does. It just rams advertising down your throat. That's it. For you, that is.

But, for the rest of us, it's a seamless bridge that allows both traditional TV and web TV, as well as the full content of the web, to be viewed through our HDTV's.

And, because it's Android-powered, with many 3rd party apps already being developed for it, it will most likely be able to do a host of other things, such as stream media content from devices on your home network, and access all of Google's apps, Gmail, Calendar, Talk, Voice, Blogger, Picasa, YouTube, Earth, Blogger, etc.

I'm looking forward to it. (I may be getting one early, for reasons I can't say. And, if I do, I probably won't be able to share much info about it anyway. Sorry.)

I'm looking forward to it as well. One of the big reasons I didn't get a 922 was because of the lack of DLNA for video and internet streaming. I guess they will let google tv provide this and I will then be happy to move to this box.

Convergence is a big industry. And yes, there will be advertising. That will keep our costs down. If they did it with no ads and charged more, there would be 10 threads on here about price increase, google tv fees are outrageous, etc..

Most of us in the free media rely on advertising to support our businesses.

It'd be nice to see it roll over to the 622/722 too. I mean, they have the USB photo viewer. I can't imagine it being too hard to incorporate unless they consider the 622/722 a dead platform for future features.

All HD DVRs will work for this. It requires a HDMI cord from dvr to google box to tv, as far as i know. All Dish is really doing is updating firmware to allow a more seamless integration and probably a more enjoyable experience. The 922 is already going to have its own special "apps" anyway. The Google TV would be just an add-on to the dvrs, dish is sending out the software/firmware to everyone im sure, I dont see a charge coming just because it is something that the consumer doesn't need Dish for anyway I'm sure it could be hooked up other ways anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts