Google in Talks with Dish Over Wireless Partnership

HanoverPretzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2006
Link:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/16/google-in-talks-with-dish-over-mobile-network-partnership/

Could be great news if they use the typical Google model of cheap equipment, low access fees, and no credit checks; which attempts as many people online using their products as possible. If they use the typical Dish model of higher priced equipment, middle of the road access fees, and credit checks, to get as much money per person from a limited number of people as possible, I don't see the differentiation with already existing big big three carriers (Verizon, ATT, Sprint), and I'd still be stuck on Virgin Mobile. ;) However, I think a partnership like this would be more likely to use the Google model, because Google doesn't need to get into the phone carrier business and probably will only do it if they can do it on their terms in a way that doesn't hurt their brand.

I actually think Dish's best move here could be to just let Google have the spectrum, make all the terms, and run the thing, in return for some Google stock.

Potentially exciting, but of course it depends on the details, and building a network out from the ground up to cover the smaller cities and such could take a decade, and who knows where the industry or any of us individually will be in a decade (Literally or figuratively).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)