Google releases Froyo source code

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Folks, there is no surprise that just before the iphone comes out that the Droid X is officially announced, and then today, Google has finally released the official Android 2.2 "Froyo" source code.

Android 2.2 Source Code Released - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Add to it reports that the Motorola Droid will receive its OTA update to 2.2 in July.

Of course, for those of us who have rooted, and are enjoying the froyo goodness, it will be much sooner when the Bugless Beast and Cyanogen ROms, and all the other varieties are up to the official build of froyo - and that will include Adobe Flash BUILT-IN to the rom (already running it on Froyo jrummy 1.1); the ability to run apps on the SD card; and USB / wireless tethering, among other things.

There's also reports that some N1 users are FINALLY getting FroYo OTA updates. You know.. say what you want about Apple, at least they will publicly state a date for their big updates. I'd prefer just having a big roll out with a date as opposed to this crap where some people are getting updates and others aren't. Something tells me as an AT&T user that I'll be getting my update near the end of the line...

Nexus One receives final Android 2.2 FroYo build via OTA update – Android and Me

mike are you having any mms issues? also I am LOVING JRUMMY 1.1 very very smooth!!!

I have not tried to send any mms. As far as I know, I have no issues at all. Extremely smooth; no force closes, nothing. It was slow after the first boot, but that had to do with the syncing, once that finished and I rebooted, it just started flying. OC'd at 900, and extremely pleased with it.

The browser just flies when it is OC'd; the multi-touch zoom is extremely smooth; kind of like the video clip comparisons of the Incredible to the Droid, which made Droid look like a dawg - but now Droid just zips along.

There's also reports that some N1 users are FINALLY getting FroYo OTA updates. You know.. say what you want about Apple, at least they will publicly state a date for their big updates. I'd prefer just having a big roll out with a date as opposed to this crap where some people are getting updates and others aren't. Something tells me as an AT&T user that I'll be getting my update near the end of the line...

Nexus One receives final Android 2.2 FroYo build via OTA update – Android and Me

Remember, everything up to now was basically beta builds; and if in Apple's world, nobody saw iOS4 until it was officially released, whereas in Google's open-source world, we have been using froyo for more than a month. :)

Remember, everything up to now was basically beta builds; and if in Apple's world, nobody saw iOS4 until it was officially released, whereas in Google's open-source world, we have been using froyo for more than a month. :)
No, YOU have been using FroYo for more than a month. I, who is not willing to root and void the warranty on my phone have been sitting around waiting and waiting for Google to grace us with an official update.

My point is that at least Apple said, "We are officially releasing our new OS on this date." I'm not saying I don't want beta builds, but I don't think it's too much to ask for Google to just say "Our new OS will be released on this date." I don't like being informed of updates by going on Engadget and reading headlines like this: Nexus One getting Android 2.2 FRF83 update over the air? -- Engadget

That's all I'm saying. I want a commitment dammit! :rant:

No, YOU have been using FroYo for more than a month. I, who is not willing to root and void the warranty on my phone have been sitting around waiting and waiting for Google to grace us with an official update.

My point is that at least Apple said, "We are officially releasing our new OS on this date." I'm not saying I don't want beta builds, but I don't think it's too much to ask for Google to just say "Our new OS will be released on this date." I don't like being informed of updates by going on Engadget and reading headlines like this: Nexus One getting Android 2.2 FRF83 update over the air? -- Engadget

That's all I'm saying. I want a commitment dammit! :rant:

I get it, but remember Google makes the OS, it is up to the carriers and phone manufacturers to decide when to release it. It will always be more complex due to those additional factors.

Hang in there - I suffered through that same issue non-rooted when Android 2.1 came out. And Verizon took forever to release it. Alas, I doubt you'd ever see commitment by Moto or Verizon as to when they will set the update for release. Its like asking Dish to confirm when new channels are coming. THey always refuse to do that.

I am hopeful that once the NEXT version (Ginerbread) of Android comes out, Google will have moved to the model of building an OS where future developments can be implemented through the market rather than requiring carriers to do OTA updates, and be captive to them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)