Google Spying on your viewing

blacklablover

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
USA
" Through an existing deal with DISH Network, the Google TV Ads service can report second-by-second TV usage data allowing advertisers to measure viewership of their ads more precisely. The NBC-Google partnership extrapolates on the data supplied by Dish set-top boxes in millions of U.S. homes."

Found this linked off of Drudge

So what? They aren't reporting that blacklablover is watching Golden Girls at 7PM. they ar reporting that 17 people were watching golden Girls at 7PM. Anyone who gets worried about all this stuff is just being silly.

Seriously though... you didn't know what the phone line requirement was REALLY for already?

We're all already being spied on: Echelon. It monitors every phone call, fax and every "private" electronic communications IN THE WORLD!

In addition, all your search strings are "spied on" as well as every web page you view. Your spending habits at the supermarket and every other retailer. Tivo has been doing the "Google ad" spy thing since its very beginning. It's the only way the really make money. It is the heart of Tivo non-existent or occasional profit. Tivo is NOT a DVR business; it is a data gathering business who use it the same way Google and Dish will. And don't think Direct TV and Cable don't spy as well. It shouldn't be this way, but it is. NOTHING NEW! Just the same erosion of privacy.

It's a grand conspiracy involving Google and the Chinese. They hope to one day take over America by understanding our viewing habits and knowing how many people watch the New Gong Show. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

When can we expect to see the "Google Data Access Fee" added onto our monthly statements?

Seriously, we should use this to our advantage. By that I mean change the channel every time an annoying commercial comes on. Oh, wait , our remotes would not last a day if we did that.

(When some one begins a conversation with "seriously" they seldom are.)

what i find truely amazing is the number of people that don't know/assume this. i change my habits regularly, just to confuse the heck out of all the data collectors.

I bet many of the folks who don't care about this constant and intimate spying get all bent out of shape over the Government monitoring phone calls from terrorist; sympathizers in the U. S. to their brethren in the Middle East.

I bet many of the folks who don't care about this constant and intimate spying get all bent out of shape over the Government monitoring phone calls from terrorist; sympathizers in the U. S. to their brethren in the Middle East.

Sure. There is a big difference between whether or not a company is keeping track of viewing habits vs whether or not they are listening to phonesex.

Don't try and get people to accept this! It is an atrocious invasion of privacy.

And for those who don't understand what that means, don't you know at least how valuable that data is? Why should they have it for free?

However I suspect these concepts are too abstract for many...
And so we get this.

I have always used Clusty for searches. Respects your privacy, finds everything that-search-engine-everyone-uses does, and puts it in a better format. It's a 'meta' search engine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts