GoogleTV

Seems like GoogleTV is the exact product Verizon FiosTV already has available for free via its service. For the people, like me, who have DishNetwork and FiosTV, would you agree or disagree with my statement?

In what respect? I wasn't aware that FiosTV had a full web broswer with flash and app support.

Great find, BTW. :)

From what I read via DishNetwork's site, comparing the items listed to FiosTV's features... I just came to that conclusion. I did not read anywhere on DishNetwork's site about flash support. FiosTV has items called, Widgets that are accessible through it's STB via the internet. IE: Facebook, YouTube, WeatherBug, Twitter, Internet Radio, TMZ. I'm always posting updates on Facebook or Twitter about the TV program I'm watching or comment about items others are watching. As well as using it's MediaManager to watch videos off my computer on TV without having to connect or disconnect wires, drivers, or even dealing with Windows7 issues.

This is the link to Verizon FiosTV widget information that is almost identical to what DishNetwork has posted about GoogleTV: http://www36.verizon.com/fiostv/web/UnProtected/widgetbazaar.aspx
Here is a clue link to Verizon explaining what is has to offer: http://www22.verizon.com/residential/fiostv

It may seem I'm a Verizon Fios nut, but I'm just attempting to research new gadgets. Just bought an iPad this week that I want to throw out the window most of the time I use it because it's lack of a keyboard and Flash support! Its just a big iPod. lol

Last edited:
To me the biggest advantage of Google TV over most other products out there is full web browser and Flash support. Most other products just have apps, but are limited in what content they can access.

Instead of just looking at the Dish Network GoogleTV page get it from the source: Google TV

The idea of GoogleTV is to put it between your 922, or even your FIOS box, and your TV. Instead of using the FIOS UI to control your TV, you would use the GoogleTV to search for video content from your FIOS Live TV, stuff you might have recorded or is on demand from FIOS, or out on the Internet. The widgets you spoke of might duplicate some of the functionality that you could get with GoogleTV apps, but imagine MORE of those widgets as separate GoogleTV Apps that are written by Android and Web developers instead of being written and vetted by Verizon. You don't need to have DISH Network to get a GoogleTV. So for the examples I've given, I'd replace your FIOS box with my 922 and get the same functionality.

DISH Network just has a formal agreement with Google to allow integration between GoogleTV and DISH's line of receivers. And they are also manufacturing their own GoogleTV box much like Logitech has licensed to bring GoogleTV to everyone else and putting them in Best Buy Stores. Sony is integrating GoogleTV into their TVs eliminating the need for the extra set-top box in between. GoogleTV will work with any other TV provider, just to what degree is the question.

I'm not really seeing the big deal with GoogleTV yet. I know having everything connected and running on the internet is the new thing but I can't see myself needing it.

What is the one thing people are most excited to see with it?

Interesting the web site does not mention that one can get google tv through dish. Sony and logitec is mentioned. also I find it interesting that dish as of to date has not said a word about google tv being integrated into the 922. We know for sure it will integrate with the 622 and 722

Just noticed that on the google site it does mention dish. Dish and google tv sill control your dvr. You can record programs from the web or your tv. I guess this is Charlie back up in case he loses the court fight with tivo and have to stop the dvr function. He will use the google software to controll our dvr function.

Last edited:
Just catching up on all this. So will we still need a separate box to use Google TV or is Dish's plan to update the VIP receivers and no other box is necessary?

That's my hope.

jcvaughan said:
Just catching up on all this. So will we still need a separate box to use Google TV or is Dish's plan to update the VIP receivers and no other box is necessary?

That's my hope.

You will need a separate box. The VIP receivers dont have enough memory are Internet decoding CPU needed to play the various video types out there.

There will be a number of Google TV boxes sold plus TV's with google tv built in.

The first boxes will be the logitech revue which will be available at the end of the month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts