Got 2nd HR20 (HR20-100)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Brewer4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 12, 2005
Hartford Connecticut
In preparation of the HD additions starting in September and I feel like the HR20 is pretty stable and reliable, I grabbed another one to replace one of my HR10-250's. Big difference, this one is an HR20-100. I have the HR20-700. I know the OS is a tad different and hard drive is bigger but does anyone have both and see any differences? BTW, I know its lease but I got one for $219 plus shipping on EBay. There is one left. I was gonna get through D* in Fall but its gonna be a nightmare getting one with 100 HD channels. And I want no more house installs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HR20-100s-HD-DV...ryZ67888QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i'm getting a second one (provided directv doesn't pull any stunts on me) soon. paying for it friday so should hopefully have in next 10 days. i'll let you know.

I'm trying to get a 2nd one, I bought (leased) mine 10 months ago from D*, I caklled and inquired about wanting another one, they said I could not get one from them as you are onlt allowed 1 at this time.

I may be able to find one at the local BB but it's $ 299 even though the BB employee said he thought I'd get the $100 rebate even though I told hiom I was an existing sub.

I would like to find one for $ 199 again.

Brewer,
Did you say the 100's operating system is different that the 700's.
Is the guide different and the menus ? I really don't want to have 2 HD DVR's that work differently from one another, but I would like to find a black one.

Jimbo

Last edited:
I'm trying to get a 2nd one, I bought (leased) mine 10 months ago from D*, I caklled and inquired about wanting another one, they said I could not get one from them as you are onlt allowed 1 at this time.

I may be able to find one at the local BB but it's $ 299 even though the BB employee said he thought I'd get the $100 rebate even though I told hiom I was an existing sub.

I would like to find one for $ 199 again.

Brewer,
Is the guide different and the menus ? Ireally don't want to have 2 HD DVR's that work differently from one another, but I would like to find a black one.

Jimbo

i have 3 of the hr700, where is is stated that you can only have 1 ? do you mean 1 at a time? in fact i was given 1 for free and 2 months ago bought/leased for 299 withh 198 in credits, the first one was a replacement for a defective tivo hd10250

i have 3 of the hr700, where is is stated that you can only have 1 ? do you mean 1 at a time? in fact i was given 1 for free and 2 months ago bought/leased for 299 withh 198 in credits, the first one was a replacement for a defective tivo hd10250

The person at D* said I could only have one, or I could not order another one from them yet, thay only gave me $100 off the original price, I don't think that was too much to ask. Niow they won't work with me on a second one.

I suppose I could always call back again ...
I can get one at the locla BB but it would be full price.

Jimbo

Thats bizarre and just goes to show you how inconsistent CSR's can be. You can have as many as you damn well please. They do have a rule of only 1 discounted or free hardware every six months but you should be able to call and ask for retention. Explain how you are looking at Dish's HD package and see if you can swing another HR20. Hooks you in for another 2 year commitment, but I'm not going anywhere so no biggie to me. I didn't do retention again for the 2nd HR20 since I "moved".

Is the guide different and the menus ? Ireally don't want to have 2 HD DVR's that work differently from one another, but I would like to find a black one.

Jimbo

No almost everything is identical except its a slightly different release version probably to do with hardware drivers. For instance, the new White GUI release was only for the -700 and not the -100. So you may have the units at different configurations especially if you are a CE release candidate. I think the national releases end up with the same look and feel so you may not see anything different. Thats why I was asking if anyone had them side by side and DID see any differences.

No almost everything is identical except its a slightly different release version probably to do with hardware drivers. For instance, the new White GUI release was only for the -700 and not the -100. So you may have the units at different configurations especially if you are a CE release candidate. I think the national releases end up with the same look and feel so you may not see anything different. Thats why I was asking if anyone had them side by side and DID see any differences.

Gotcha ... Thats good, because the last thing I want, is to get a second one and have it be set up different.

I have yet to find a black one in town, if I do call D* again, I think I get whatever they send.
Silver would be OK also, just thought the Black might look better in my set up as most of my equipment is black.

Jimbo

Gotcha ... Thats good, because the last thing I want, is to get a second one and have it be set up different.

I have yet to find a black one in town, if I do call D* again, I think I get whatever they send.
Silver would be OK also, just thought the Black might look better in my set up as most of my equipment is black.

Jimbo

I hear you. I always did prefer black over silver/gray.

Since I moved all my units to the basement for multi-room distribution, the color doesn't really matter. I have them in my server closet on a wire rack. Its not the prettiest looking setup but its all in one place, I can get to all the wires easily, everything is centralized, and I can watch my receivers in several rooms and beyond with my Slingboxes.

I hear you. I always did prefer black over silver/gray.

Once you go black you never go back :D

I just had to . It's my understanding there is no difference between the 700 and 100 other then the manufacturer. Hard Drive are the same. Now with the 700 new CE release the look of the GUI may/is different but should operate the same.

I never had a problem getting my 2nd one a month after my first. And if I go to the D* web site and go to the upgrade hardware section it says I can get another one for $199.

I never had a problem getting my 2nd one a month after my first. And if I go to the D* web site and go to the upgrade hardware section it says I can get another one for $199.

Hmmm, I may have to look into that ....
I think they didn't want to allow me to gwet another one because they gave me a discount on the first one.

Jimbo

If you are looking for HR20-700's, don't forget about 'COSTCO' stores. Here in Southern California, most stores have HR20's by the pallet. Price: $269.

Rad,
It looks like I could do that (ordering online) as well for $ 199...
If thats the case why can't I talk to these guys and mention that it is available online for that price for me.

I wonder if they need to do the amazingly difficult install for me, or if they will let me do it.
Lets see, 2 sat feeds and an OTA in and component out, how tough can that be ? :rolleyes:
The rest varies from user to user.

Jimbo

jimbo, i'm assuming you have checked your account and upgrade equipment.

after 2 weeks of unpleasent discussion, i check my account one morning and voila, there's a notice that i'm eligible for an hr20 at $199. this was after a supervisor told me they couldn't honor the $99 upgrade retention gave me because the guy didn't notate the account.

jimbo, i'm assuming you have checked your account and upgrade equipment.

after 2 weeks of unpleasent discussion, i check my account one morning and voila, there's a notice that i'm eligible for an hr20 at $199. this was after a supervisor told me they couldn't honor the $99 upgrade retention gave me because the guy didn't notate the account.
ice,
Basically, I followed the link Rad left which took me to the upgrade page and it saus YES I can get one for $199 !, if I go that route it's possible, but why is it they cannot do that on the phone ?

Just wondering, would these that are available as upgrades for $ 199, NEW or Refurbed, and would Refurbed be a problem ???

Any one have any experience with a Refurbed one ?

Jimbo

brewer, i called and emailed directv about that very issue and, of course, i couldn't get a definitive answer. although, i seem to recall the first csr i spoke with said i could pay over the phone but they couldn't take payments!

brewer, i called and emailed directv about that very issue and, of course, i couldn't get a definitive answer. although, i seem to recall the first csr i spoke with said i could pay over the phone but they couldn't take payments!

Couldnt take payments? I think they just bill your account if you are in good standing. You can always try retention and get if for free of even cheaper then 199. If not, they usually throw in free programming.

Yeah, they just bill you for it. They did me the last time I got something.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts