Got 2nd HR20 (HR20-100)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
since the hr20-100 is not as big as the hr20-700, i might be able to push it back enough to throw a book in fron of the eye. thanks. open to other suggestions!

ETA: presently, an instruction manual is blocking one of the eyes, and its working. would like a more permanent solution, though!

Last edited:
iceturkee, are you trying to control 2 HR20's next to each other? I know how to set each up so they are controlled independently of each other.

jimbo, i don't have the rf antenna hooked up....i don't think i have that remote.

yes, i tried the tape......granted, it was scotch tape......didn't work. maybe, duct or electrical would be heavy enough to block the eye?

and must i remind you, i'm of the female persuasion?

Ice,
I would try using electrical tape or duct, clear tape would not block the signal very well....
and Oppps, my bad, but thanks for the reminder...

Jimbo

thanks jimbo. i had to resked today's appointment until tomorrow morning. i got bit by an unknown critter last week and last nite the site looked like it might be trying to get infected. went to doc, she says it didn't look bad, gave me creame and sent me home.

anyhow, i'm developing a multitude of problems. now, the hr20-100 will record but screen is blank on playback. remote for hr20-700 is still messed up. tech can't get here soon enough!!

thanks jimbo. i had to resked today's appointment until tomorrow morning. i got bit by an unknown critter last week and last nite the site looked like it might be trying to get infected. went to doc, she says it didn't look bad, gave me creame and sent me home.

Have you tried recording anything since you had a blank screen recorded ?
Just to see if it was a fluke, or not....
Are you sure you had the right channel set to record, I no this may sound simple, but for example, if it was a local channel you were trying to record and it was not the-1 channel, you would have recorded the analog signal and THAT would be black blank because the recorder does not pick up analog.
Just throwing out ideas, seeing I don't know what it was you recorded and obviously was not there.
just curious, how do you normally set up a recording ?

Jimbo

i haven't done anything different setting up my recordings. yes, i tried to record 10 minutes from espn yesterday. the program is being recorded but there's still no picture. it was fine when it was hooked up friday.

i usually record from the mini-guide, sometimes from the channel i'm watching. anyhow, i'm sure the tech is going to like me this morning.

okay, the tech just left. the hr20-100 was toast, said its a common problem.....if its going to fail, it does it right off the bat. so, i have a second hr20-700. he also reprogrammed my remotes to solve the other problem!

okay, the tech just left. the hr20-100 was toast, said its a common problem.....if its going to fail, it does it right off the bat. so, i have a second hr20-700. he also reprogrammed my remotes to solve the other problem!

Wow. At least it did happen now rather than slowly over time driving you crazy. So you are able to manage 2 HR20's side by side with the same remote?

yep, thank goodness. one dvr is set for dtv and the other av1. its working fine and i'm not going to begin to figure what i did wrong.

btw, the tech did mention those black hr20's starting to regularly make the rounds soon!

One difference that IS important to me that I didn't see mentioned here, is that it's my understanding from Earl's review the 100 has an external RF remote antenna connection on the back, while the 700 ONLY has an internal antenna. (haven't seen a 100 myself yet) I'd much rather have an external antenna, in case I want to extend it somewhere else.

One difference that IS important to me that I didn't see mentioned here, is that it's my understanding from Earl's review the 100 has an external RF remote antenna connection on the back, while the 700 ONLY has an internal antenna. (haven't seen a 100 myself yet) I'd much rather have an external antenna, in case I want to extend it somewhere else.

The external antenna is only for RF remote. How far away do you plan on controlling the unit and need to extend beyond the normal RF control range?

The external antenna is only for RF remote.

Well, uh, isn't that exactly what I said when I said...

external RF remote antenna
:confused: :confused:

Yes, I'm VERY well versed w/RF remotes & their antennas, back from the C-band days, thank you.

How far away do you plan on controlling the unit and need to extend beyond the normal RF control range?

Obviously, you haven't had the many issues I've had with "RF remotes" in multi-story & large ranch houses that I've installed in over the years, be it a C-band receiver, E* or D* as well. I've had to extend RF remote antennas many a time in these situations to get them to work consistantly ;) ;)

Got a second HR20 from Direct TV..they charged me $199 (3 equal payments of $67, then the girl discounted the last two months...so she gave it to me for $67 total..oh yeah and she also gave me 6 months of HD for free = $60) so net cost was $7.

Well, uh, isn't that exactly what I said when I said...

:confused: :confused:

Yes, I'm VERY well versed w/RF remotes & their antennas, back from the C-band days, thank you.

Obviously, you haven't had the many issues I've had with "RF remotes" in multi-story & large ranch houses that I've installed in over the years, be it a C-band receiver, E* or D* as well. I've had to extend RF remote antennas many a time in these situations to get them to work consistantly ;) ;)

Well I guess I stand corrected. As for issues, not really but I have some experience. I moved my receivers to my basement and own a 2 story colonial. My TV room is over 100 feet from the basement on the opposite end of the house. I use a separate RF extender rather than the one built in the Directv unit since I need it to control switchers via infrared. Works great. Wasn't trying to be snarky as your tone back. Just found it interesting thats all and I wanted to confirm why someone would do that or even care. Based on your sarcastic tone, apparently you do. :eek:

Last edited:
Got a second HR20 from Direct TV..they charged me $199 (3 equal payments of $67, then the girl discounted the last two months...so she gave it to me for $67 total..oh yeah and she also gave me 6 months of HD for free = $60) so net cost was $7.

Nice job. Never hurts to ask does it!

Well I guess I stand corrected. As for issues, not really but I have some experience. I moved my receivers to my basement and own a 2 story colonial. My TV room is over 100 feet from the basement on the opposite end of the house. I use a separate RF extender rather than the one built in the Directv unit since I need it to control switchers via infrared. Works great.

But see, since you ARE using a separate RF extender, (which I use in my own house) you really don't know how well the one built in to the receivers works. I would be willing to bet yours DOES work great compared to the one built in, since mine also works better, compared to the RF remotes in BOTH E* & D* receivers I also have. However, I have not tried the HR20 in my own house, but based on the track record of other RF receivers in my house, I'm not holding out that much hope. But as I said, an external antenna has a higher probability of longer distances. ;)

Maybe for kicks sometime, you should cover the IR on your HR20 & try the RF remote all over your house & see how it does. :)

Wasn't trying to be snarky as your tone back. Just found it interesting thats all and I wanted to confirm why someone would do that or even care. Based on your sarcastic tone, apparently you do. :eek:

Sorry for any sarcastic tone implied, but yes, it is important to me, as the majority of my clients would be better served with built-in RF remote capabilities, (that also work reliably over long distances) as opposed to having to do separate extenders - not to mention cheaper... :eek:

I've tried the RF on the HR20-700 and H20-600 and both work. I have not tried the new HR20-100 as I just got one and not really interested in the RF. Another reason I cant use RF built in is because of Slingbox. If you go RF, then you cant use infrared.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts