Got a 1.2M dish. Possible miniBUD. Need advise from the wise

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ftamart

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Manitoba, Canada
Hallo there,
I bought a 1.2M dish for $20 cdn from a business in town which used it to receive music from Muzak, for the music on hold on the phone system. The business has since switched to a different service provider.

Now I have some questions:
Would this dish be considered a 1.2m? The actual measurement of the dish is 48 inch 52 inch. It currently has a single polarity Ku lnb, which I wont use.
My wife really misses Univision (formally on 123°W) and now I would like to use this dish as a fixed miniBUD and point it to 118.8°W. Could I use two C band lnbs to get 118.8°W and 121°W at the same time?
For the lnb(s), I would like to buy in Canada, to avoid higher shipping and brokerage fees, otherwise I would gladly buy from this forum's sponsors. I think AV Satellite has some kind of arrangement with a partner in Canada, I might ask them yet. What kind of lnb would you recommend?

Dual Output lnb

Gospell lnb

Another one

This one from AV Satellite

Or any other?

I currently run a 36" motorised Ku system. I don't know if this dish would be big enough for C and on 118.8°W.

As far as I know, Univision isn't anywhere else on Ku, is it?

Thanks in advance for your friendliness and your help,

ftamart

Attachments

• MuzakDish1.JPG
    MuzakDish1.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 488
  • MuzakDish2.JPG
    MuzakDish2.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,928
Congrats on the score of the muzak dish. I have two of them set up at my dish farm. They work great. And I am still using 2 of the lnbs that came with them. I Have one of them setup for receiving sat 83 for RTV and one set up on sat 129 for White Springs Tv. It is the only thing on the sats that I want so being single pol does not matter. And its a pain to make a lnb holder to fit just right on that type of lnb holder. I was going to motorize one but found a free channel master 1.0m so I motorized it. Now that I put a newer dual lnbf on it so I could share the output with more than one receiver. Works good. As for converting it over to c band Im sure it can be done but there are others on the forum who will chime in and give you sound advice that I do not have a clue about. Have fun with the dish, it looks to be in nice shape. I painted both of mine with some left over beige paint and they looked new after.

Yea, no kidding!
While you are posting pix, can you get a shot of the back of the dish, too?
The mount looks like Prodelin, but the feedhorn and eyebrow, looks a lot like what old Primestars had (channel master).
'Course, I could be entirely wrong. :)

Looks like the LNB supports are outside the dish (like Prodelin). Channelmaster has them through holes molded in the reflector.

Here are some more pictures. The lnb is a Norsat 7000A series. It had a nice cover, but it was old and fragile and as I squeezed a bit, it broke.

Two C band at same time?

Depending on sat spacing.

It would be 118.8°W and 121°W. This should work, right?

What about the four lnb choices I am looking at, any advice?

Attachments

• MuzakDish5.JPG
    MuzakDish5.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 471
  • MuzakDish4.JPG
    MuzakDish4.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 442
  • MuzakDish3.JPG
    MuzakDish3.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 453
Here are some more pictures. The lnb is a Norsat 7000A series. It had a nice cover, but it was old and fragile and as I squeezed a bit, it broke.

That appears to be a C-120 flange mount on the feedhorn, although it could possibly be one of those weird mounts that is similar but has a different hole pattern. If it is a C-120 (probable), you would just unscrew the Norsat LNB from the mount and replace it. That is a Prodelin 1.2 meter dish...

Can you provide the web site where you got the dual cband lnbf holder? I am looking for something like this both for offset and prime focus cband dishes.

Thanks

Nice Dish ftamart

Thanks Auric!

I still haven't bought a C band lnb. I am going with a single lnb for now.
I am not sure if I can just buy any C band lnb or do I have to worry about the F/D ratio of the dish? According to my research, the F/D ratio is 0.6.

Thanks.

C-band LNBF's use an external and adjustable scalar.
So, to match your F/D of 0.6, you'd need a conical scalar.
To go with it, I'd suggest the C2 LNBF (two ports, ready for future expansion)
WSI / Galaxy offers the DMX241 single-output C-band LNBF.
Both gold sponsors sell the conical scalar.

If you are just experimenting and don't have a conical scalar, here is some additional reading material.
ACradio and flat scalar tune-up on mini-bud:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-...g-c-band-my-1-2-meter-dish-2.html#post1735458

C-band LNBF's use an external and adjustable scalar.
So, to match your F/D of 0.6, you'd need a conical scalar.
To go with it, I'd suggest the C2 LNBF (two ports, ready for future expansion)
WSI / Galaxy offers the DMX241 single-output C-band LNBF.
Both gold sponsors sell the conical scalar.

If you are just experimenting and don't have a conical scalar, here is some additional reading material.
ACradio and flat scalar tune-up on mini-bud:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-...g-c-band-my-1-2-meter-dish-2.html#post1735458

Thanks for the advice Anole. I read the post about the c-band 1.2m dish. I also looked at the LNBs. This points me in the right direction. Now I am going to start the project.

Thanks for the advice Anole. I read the post about the c-band 1.2m dish. I also looked at the LNBs. This points me in the right direction. Now I am going to start the project.

I bought the DMX741U with the scaler ring. Galaxy Marketing had them as a package deal for members of this forum for a great price, so I got that. I wish I had gotten the DMX241 with scaler ring.

On a 1.2 you will need a scaler ring.

The LNBF holders for these are for 1/2 square tubing. Looking at yours you will have to modify it like I did. It was simple & cost me $10. I'll take a pic & post it.

I bought a 40mm bracket from Sadoun so I can change from C to Ku any time. The dual LNBF's just don't work well on a mini it takes 5 minutes to swap LNBF's from a C to Ku.

Keep your feedhorn for sure

The LNBF holders for these are for 1/2 square tubing. Looking at yours you will have to modify it like I did. It was simple & cost me $10. I'll take a pic & post it.
Yes, I would like to see a picture to get some ideas.
I bought a 40mm bracket from Sadoun so I can change from C to Ku any time. The dual LNBF's just don't work well on a mini it takes 5 minutes to swap LNBF's from a C to Ku.
I agree, by what I have been reading in the threads here, Ku just doesn't work good on a dual offset set-up. I have have a motorised system for Ku, so I would go strait C with this fixed dish.
Keep your feedhorn for sure
Yes, if I ever wanted to use it for Ku, I would just purchase a dual polarity square LNB and use this feedhorn.

This works out pretty good for me. Sorry about the one picture. The sun popped it's head out for the first time in over a week just as I snapped it, but you can see how that holder takes the square tubing.

If you go that route, I used a Mill Vice to bend mine.

I can send many for photos of how I got it just the way I wanted it. Let me know.

To swap out I remove the RG6 & one bolt at the LNB holder. The C Band is 65mm the Ku is 40mm

Attachments

• DSCF1984.JPG
    DSCF1984.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 304
  • DSCF1985.JPG
    DSCF1985.JPG
    308.9 KB · Views: 303
  • DSCF1988.JPG
    DSCF1988.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 333
  • DSCF1986.JPG
    DSCF1986.JPG
    831.2 KB · Views: 343
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts