Got a C-Band dish...now some questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Well Saturday the big day arrived.....the FedEx man came and lugged a huge box out of his truck. I lugged it into my house and ripped it open. Yes, my 6 foot C-band dish arrived :D:D:D:D

Spent about an hour building it (real easy to build) and slapped my C-band LNB on it (the ASC421) and aimed towards what is my true south. Hooked up a DVB box and a C-band receiver and started moving the dish.

Monkeyed around and BAM….in came some church channel. World Harvest. Dang near crystal clear. Never been so happy to see a church channel. Scanned through the C-band receiver and found 2 church channels, a feed (b-ball game) and a test card. So I knew I was on G4. Tried to get channel 22 on T5 but that was really fuzzy so the dish on the roof is blocking part of the view.

Now all I have to do is move one of my dishes on the roof because it’s partially blocking the LOS.

Have some questions now in regards to the Digital stuff

-Is digital really this hard to pick up? It might be due to the dish on the roof blocking part of the view but I can get analog with almost no sparklies whatsoever yet the only DVB I could pick up was the WB 4:2:2 feeds (that showed scrambled on my box and a 30 signal). Heck digital KU isn’t this hard once you get the analog honed in.
-How does the C-band LNB get set up? Since 99 is 6 degrees west of my true south, I put the LNB with the 0 straight up and figured I can fine tune it. Problem is I can get V polarity stuff on Horizontal when I did a blind scan. I turned the LNB 90 degrees and now at least the H stuff comes in on H polarity.

Right now I moved the dish to a corner of the deck until I have time to move the one KU dish out of the way. Was going to do it yesterday but we had really thick clouds and rain/snow so it wasn’t worth working on.

Yes digital is MUCH harder to pick up :)

I have my ASC-421 C-Band LNBF set at "0" on top, works perfect!

Good luck with the new BUD! :)

I'll have to try again in the next night or two. I was so happy to get analog only to be pissed not to get any digital stuff :(

Its just weird..I had it set to 0 at the top and the polarity was backwards.

Ice, What brand of C-band dish did you buy ? I have a 10 footer that I don't want to put up till I move.I am looking for something smaller and manageable.What kind of mount also ?

6 footer from Sadoun

It has a metal type "o" ring base. If your elevation is pretty high, you'll be fine. On mine, the elevation is 38 for my TS so I need a brick or something to put on the back end to keep the back side of the o ring from lifting up about a 1/2 inich

I figured digital was harder but dang. I know when I had analog locked, the digital was real close. 30-32 signal and if I moved the dish it would disappear.

Guess I'm not just bang on yet :(
(also it probably has to do with the 6' size)

If in doubt use BLIND SCAN! Thats the only way I could get digital C-Band to start with :)

thats what I did...Thats how I found the backwards polarity

also I have to remember, the frequencies go DOWN in a blind scan (so it starts at the top of the C-Band frequencies and goes down to the lower) :)

To start with I had the same trouble, the only way I managed to get C-Band digital was to use Blind scan, then tweak the signal :)

john green said:
Did you need the optional LNBF collar ? Looks like a good deal.Shipping costs are usually an issue.

I bought one but the C-band LNB (421) won’t fit in it. The Collar is used more for KU band. The C-Band will fit right on there with no issues.

Since it’s in pieces and the box is pretty small, shipping wasn’t bad. $35 shipping to Minnesota. Ordered Monday, received Saturday

PSB said:
To start with I had the same trouble, the only way I managed to get C-Band digital was to use Blind scan, then tweak the signal :)

Have to try that (after I move one dish and remove another) :)

The Pansat does blind scan pretty good.

Correct aim and focal length setting on the lnb are more important for digital recption. I also had to fine tune my asmuth and elevation for best digital recption. Once you get it set a whole new world opens up.
Cheers,
Dale

ahhh crap...forgot about focal length. Have to make sure to add that in :)

If the weather would be better outside I can work on it more. (was really yucky yesterday)

another question

Are the digital signals on IA6, G3, IA5 and G4 strong and will a 6 footer pick them up. Or are they like some of the weaker KU birds and you need a bigger dish.

Icerberg!
Quick! Hide the BUD! Here comes the HOA . . . and they're carrying torches!!!!!!!:D

Ice,

I went through a lot of the same things you're dealing with when I put up my BUD last fall. I could get analog real well, but digital was pretty difficult. That was with an ASC421. My biggest issue was skew, although focal length was a problem too. I found it really difficult to get the skew right with the ASC421. The biggest problem is the difficulty in making very fine skew adjustments. Particularly with an undersized dish like you're using, being off by a few degrees on the skew can make a big difference. I eventually upgraded to a Corotor II plus and a DSR-922 and skew was no longer a problem.

In your case, using a dvb receiver, you have a little tougher problem. You might try what I did before I got my 4dtv receiver. I used the VC module in my old Toshiba. Even though you're not subscribed to programming it will still give you a signal strength number on the installation settings screen. You can have a pretty solid analog signal even when your signal strength is pretty low. I've seen VC locks with signal strength as low as 20%, and clear pictures with 60%. On a properly tuned system, I think you'll get most of the analogs at 100%. If you can peak your analogs first, I think you'll find that the DVB stuff is a whole lot easier to get.

Mike

rjc3895 said:
Icerberg!
Quick! Hide the BUD! Here comes the HOA . . . and they're carrying torches!!!!!!!:D

nah. I saw the old head of HOA guy yesterday and he just looked and kept walking the dog. (the dish is in the back so you cant see it).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)