Got a card in the mail today from D*

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

magnumhog

Original poster
Nov 8, 2004
NW Arkansas
Saying that if I send in the card I get to keep my distant networks as long as I never sign up for my locals that are now available. I just like the east/west feeds in case I miss something early or want to watch a different ball game.

Anyone else had any experience with this card?

I scanned it in and plan on calling them in a couple of weeks to verify that they got it so I can keep the DNS.

Yes I just received one today. I will keep my LA and NY feeds. Good idea about calling. What phone # would we use to check they recieved the card?

magnumhog said:
Saying that if I send in the card I get to keep my distant networks as long as I never sign up for my locals that are now available. I just like the east/west feeds in case I miss something early or want to watch a different ball game.

Anyone else had any experience with this card?

I scanned it in and plan on calling them in a couple of weeks to verify that they got it so I can keep the DNS.

Would you mind posting the scan, please ?

Shvera

There was a little confision earlier under the SHVERA thread about if it was certain that only people who had subscribed to DNS in 1999 or earlier have to choose between the two. I subed to DNS last year and locals about 2 months ago. I love having all the possible choices and hope I do not have to choose between the two.

Is this card going to only those who receive DNS and DO NOT subscribe to local channels which are available on DirecTV?

Here it is.

Attachments

• dtvcardONEaaanoname.JPG
    dtvcardONEaaanoname.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 412
bcushman said:
Is this card going to only those who receive DNS and DO NOT subscribe to local channels which are available on DirecTV?

No, I get two DNS (Fox & Abc) and I get locals, and I got my card today. Sigh

SHVRA email from D*

vfr781rider said:
There was a little confision earlier under the SHVERA thread about if it was certain that only people who had subscribed to DNS in 1999 or earlier have to choose between the two. I subed to DNS last year and locals about 2 months ago. I love having all the possible choices and hope I do not have to choose between the two.

vfr781rider said:
I have had DNS stations for a year or so and just added locals off of the 72.5 bird a couple weeks ago. Am I correct in reading this that I cannot keep that configuration and must decide to keep one or the other? If so, that SUCKS!

Sorry for cross posting to 2 threads, but here's a reply I got from DirecTV tonight. I don't like this at all, especially after installing a dish for 72.5 at both of my homes, buying the needed filters for 3 of my receivers, and NOW having to choose between what I had and what I just paid for. Come down to this though, the locals can suck my weenie :)

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:12:56 -0800 (Z)
[ Add to Address Book | Block Address | Report as Spam ]
Subject: SHVERA [Incident: 050223-001694]

02/23/2005 07:12 PM

Dear Gary,

Thanks for writing. I'm sorry, but December 2004 changes in the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act (SHVERA) prohibits DIRECTV from providing New York or Los Angeles TV stations in areas where we carry local channels. Because we offer local channels in Tri-Cities TN-VA (Johnson City, TN), we cannot provide you with non-local network feeds.

New York or Los Angeles networks are now only available to customers who do not live in a Local TV Market (using boundaries established by Nielsen Media Research) and who cannot receive an over-the-air signal from a local TV station, according to standards of signal reception we are required to use (significant restrictions apply).

Please understand that federal law -- not DIRECTV -- sets strict guidelines for receiving non-local broadcast channels.

Thanks for your understanding and please stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about our services.

Sincerely,

Sharad S
DIRECTV Customer Service

---------------------------------------------------------------
Original Message Follows:

02/23/2005 11:40 AM

DIRECTV FEEDBACK MESSAGE

Name: Gary Pitts

[Topic Selected: LocalChannels]

Details: I am confused a bit by your web page on the new SHVERA laws www.directv.com/shvera and hope you can clarify it a bit for me. I subscribed to DNS last year with waivers from 3 of the 4 major networks. I subscribed to local channels a couple of months ago. Your web page says "If you have Distant Network Services (DNS) � non local ABC, CBS, FOX and/or NBC feeds from Los Angeles or New York � and you originally added this service prior to November 1999, the December 2004 Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act (SHVERA) may require changes to your DIRECTV® service." Since I added DNS after 11/99, do I get to keep all my current programming?

Thanks,

Gary

Ironically the SHVERA makes a distinction about DTV versus analog but D* doesn't make that distinction. Sure frosts me!!!

I'm watching for the mail today too! I'm going to miss my FOX-HD from NY because our local O&O FOX station will not go full power until this summer. The rest of the locals I get great with an indoor antenna.
I only get CBS-HD & FOX-HD from NY right now from D*.
I'll give those two up, knowing later I'll get all my HD locals in MPEG4 & also be able to have OTA feeds.

Barney

Well still no card, did they stop sending them out? Kind of dead around these parts....D* anyway.....anyone heard from D* thats in the 1st group of 12 for the MPEG4 upgrade?

Barney

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)