got a problem or so i think.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

2muchspl

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
hi guys I'll keep it short as this is my 1st post.

Info: live in apartment, have D* with triple mounted on roof, 2 tivos but only 3 lines was ran during install. I installed a 2in/4out MS to get the "xtra" line i needed for dual tuners- seems to work perfectly (4 mo. so far)

problem: new plasma TV warrants HD from D*, landlord might frown with me getting a new 5LNB or even running the true 4th line from my triple.

solutions: Can i take my 3 lines and put a 4in/8out MS (heard my 2in was inadequate, 4in would be better), swap one of the tivo's for a HD DVR and be peachy? or will i be losing something on 1 of the recorders doin it like this.
what will i be losing by not having the 5LNB, HD loc's I'm cool with OTA.
thanks for any help

Your current 3X4 is giving you the equivalent of a 101 only satellite dish you can't receive the 110 or 119 satellites with that switch in place. You can run a 4th line in and get all 3 satellites if you remove the 3X4 multiswitch or you can run a 4X8 switch giving you 8 tuner connections.

A phase 3 dish can only access the 3 original satellites, 99 and 103 need the 5 LNB dish. 99 and 103 is where all the new HD and local HD signals are going this fall. Start negotiating with the landlord.

:welcome

Unfortunately without the 5 LNB dish, you wont get 100 new HD channels promised by the end of the year. And you do need to upgrade to the HR20 HD DVR to take advantage of the new HD. The HR10-250 HD Tivos are not capable of using the MPEG4 HD signals or the new sat slots at 99 and 103.

The HR20 does take advantage of a thing called SWM or Single Wire Multiswitch which would allow the HR20 to use one line down from the dish. So there are ways around the number of lines but you really need the Slimline 5 LNB dish to really experience Directv's HD.

I have to ask why only 3 lines were run from the triple LNB dish? Let me guess. You had one DirecTV TiVo and a regular receiver at the time.

IMO, anytime a dish that has four outputs is installed, all four lines should be run regardless of current need. Of course, SWM changes this dynamic.

thanks for the replies

jdspenser you hit a HR with that:D . Me and my wife start bickering over the single tivo (she cancelled the game to record Lifetime, had to do something). sad thing is I advised the guy to do it as my lil girl was only 3 or 4 at the time and soon would have her on sat box

so a 4x8 switch is a step up, just for now.
and when D* makes the fall transition, the triples will be useless for all HD seeking customers????? wow.

what are the new channels consisting of?
is it possible for the new installer (if i can get my landlord to ok anything) to use the "mast/pipe" from my existing triple and just put the new 5 LNB dish on that and run the extra wire.
its the holes in the roof is one of his concerns,

I have to ask why only 3 lines were run from the triple LNB dish? Let me guess. You had one DirecTV TiVo and a regular receiver at the time.

IMO, anytime a dish that has four outputs is installed, all four lines should be run regardless of current need. Of course, SWM changes this dynamic.

Maybe, he was not the tenant that ran the D* service and he's using what was there from the beginning.... maybe.

Jimbo

just saw the channel list and the 5 LNB is now a priority.

his other concern is too many dishes on the roof.

ok there are 4 D* subcribers in my building, if I get the new 5LNB, is the a multiswitch that can dump all the lines every one needs, like around 20+.(MDU is a term I heard) I am totally willing to pay for the switch, since I wont have to pay for peoples wiring sine they can use the existing feed from their sats

I might can use this as a bargining tool, less dishes and no one else will need to upgrade since it will be the best pan that D* offers

Wow! This turned into a bigger project, didn't it. :)

Simply put, the four lines from the dish can be put into a large multiswitch. For the 5LNB (MPEG4) dish, this could be a WB616, which has 16 outputs. For more outputs than 16, it gets a bit more complicated.

However, for an MDU setup you should consider the new SWM technology. I don't know much about it, other than SWM stands for Single Wire Multiswitch.

yeah it kinda did Jd, i did find a wb616 for like $199, without even looking hard so maybe there are some cheaper ones. i read that they are cascadable, well come monday I'll test it out on him & happy fathers day to all who are handlin they sh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

talked to my landlord today and he was completly cool with it as he just had his installed a few weeks ago!! even will give me the key to retrieve the long ladder (long story from previous D* woes) said my install was the neatest of all, no need to get a multi switch for other tenants

he suggested i dont get rid of my tivo just yet, assured me i would not like the the HD-DVR. is it that crappy?
hinted at just getting the HD reciever and use the tivo for my regular recording, like having 2 recievers on one tv. what are yall opinions, open ears... or eyes on this end.

talked to my landlord today and he was completly cool with it as he just had his installed a few weeks ago!! even will give me the key to retrieve the long ladder (long story from previous D* woes) said my install was the neatest of all, no need to get a multi switch for other tenants

he suggested i dont get rid of my tivo just yet, assured me i would not like the the HD-DVR. is it that crappy?
hinted at just getting the HD reciever and use the tivo for my regular recording, like having 2 recievers on one tv. what are yall opinions, open ears... or eyes on this end.

I can't comment on the Tivo since I have never had one, but the HR20 is a good box. Directv has made many upgrades to the software, and now it is very stable.

thats sounding good, can you explain the numerous cnet killings off this, like what kinda problems did you have before.I had no idea about this and to be honest it kinda stopped me in my tracks. so can you still pause live tv or am I in for a rude awakening?

thats sounding good, can you explain the numerous cnet killings off this, like what kinda problems did you have before.I had no idea about this and to be honest it kinda stopped me in my tracks. so can you still pause live tv or am I in for a rude awakening?

I have had my HR20 since April, so I can't speak to the early problems. I am pleased with how it works now. Yes, you can pause live tv.

Yes you can pause live tv.The problems I had channels surfing was REAL slow,If your recording one thing and trying to change the channels to watch something at the same time ,, That would make it even slower.In native mode switching between HD and SD was real slow. My biggest complaint was the whole thing was SLOW!It was like having computer from 1990 and using it Today to burn CD and DVD,and surf the internet with Dial up. But now its like a completely new receiver,Just with one update.I would rate it an 8.5 out of 10. Two weeks ago ,I would have givin it a 4. I can't wait to see what the next update will do.

lmao @ da slow computer refrence, that would be completly unnacceptable.
ok, so if I called D* there is a pretty good chance Ill recieve a HR20 with the newest update?
can you force the reciever to stay in like 720P for all HD channels?

sorry for the multiple Q's this is my first HDTV capable tv :)

lmao @ da slow computer refrence, that would be completly unnacceptable.
ok, so if I called D* there is a pretty good chance Ill recieve a HR20 with the newest update?
can you force the reciever to stay in like 720P for all HD channels?

sorry for the multiple Q's this is my first HDTV capable tv :)

Yes, you could get an HR20. As far as the newest update goes, either you or your installer will have to force a software download to update it once it's installed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)