Got conflicting info on how to use EHD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

shortspark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
texas
A while back I asked the question here about using my ehd with my Joey. The opinion here of several people was that an ehd could be used with joey. I have a hopper and joey and the dish rep I chatted with said ehd will work only with hopper.

I decided to try it today to see which was correct (I did not have access to my old ehd which I used to archive recordings when I had an old 722 receiver). I finally got the ehd which worked great with the 722 and plugged it to the Joey's usb port - nothing. No devices were detected. I tried a second ehd and the same thing happened. I got a rep again on chat who was not sure if Joey's would accept ehd and he had me do a couple things including a reset. He then sent something down to command my equipment to accept an ehd but all to no avail. He then put me on hold, talked to someone else and came back telling me the ehd will work only with the Hopper, it can not be plugged into the Joey.

That sucks of course because the Hopper is in another room and used by another person. Can anyone confirm that the ehd can only be used with Hopper and not compatible with a Joey?

Reactions: TheKrell
Well, since your Joey is connected to the Hopper, I don't see why you wouldn't want your EHD to also be connected to the Hopper. Anyways, you can not connect an EHD to a Joey and use it for separate recording. The Hopper system is a "Whole Home DVR"

A while back I asked the question here about using my ehd with my Joey. The opinion here of several people was that an ehd could be used with joey. I have a hopper and joey and the dish rep I chatted with said ehd will work only with hopper.

I decided to try it today to see which was correct (I did not have access to my old ehd which I used to archive recordings when I had an old 722 receiver). I finally got the ehd which worked great with the 722 and plugged it to the Joey's usb port - nothing. No devices were detected. I tried a second ehd and the same thing happened. I got a rep again on chat who was not sure if Joey's would accept ehd and he had me do a couple things including a reset. He then sent something down to command my equipment to accept an ehd but all to no avail. He then put me on hold, talked to someone else and came back telling me the ehd will work only with the Hopper, it can not be plugged into the Joey.

That sucks of course because the Hopper is in another room and used by another person. Can anyone confirm that the ehd can only be used with Hopper and not compatible with a Joey?

Someone here said you could use an external hard drive with a Joey?
Do you realize you can use the external hard drive that is attached to the Hopper from a Joey?

Reactions: JSheridan
Yea, I will have to connect it to the Hopper I guess but wanted to use the Joey if I could. The Hopper is in another room across the house and I would like the ehd to be where I am. I have several and would like to switch them out at will without going all the way to the far end of the house to do it. They have a usb port on the Joey so I don't know why they did not just configure the thing to accept the ehd right there at that port.

Yea, I will have to connect it to the Hopper I guess but wanted to use the Joey if I could. The Hopper is in another room across the house and I would like the ehd to be where I am. I have several and would like to switch them out at will without going all the way to the far end of the house to do it. They have a usb port on the Joey so I don't know why they did not just configure the thing to accept the ehd right there at that port.
Get a powered USB hub for the Hopper. You plug in multiple drives that way. Or use all 3 of the USB ports on the Hopper.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using the SatelliteGuys app!

I have a powered usb hub around there that I'm not using - should work perfect and will make access a lot easier since the hopper is in a cabinet. Good idea!!

I have a powered usb hub around there that I'm not using - should work perfect and will make access a lot easier since the hopper is in a cabinet. Good idea!!
I believe the limit will still be 3 drives. Can't take credit for the idea other folks thought of it first.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I have two hooked up just now through the powered usb hub - work great! I'm all set now but I still wish the Joey's usb port could play the ehd. I don't know what it is there for. Maybe to hook up a blue tooth device or something or a wifi dongle, other than that I don't know why they even have a usb port on a Joey if it won't accept a drive.

I recently had a joey and a hopper installed. They replaced a 721 vip and 612 to which I often hooked up my external hard drives of archived shows I had recorded. Do I have to use the EHDs only with the hopper or can I hook them to the Joey?

You asked that question back in September and we were pretty specific that you had to plug your EHD into the Hopper and that you could access it via the Joey. You can follow the entire conversation in the above quote. There were no several people that said that you could. The Krell mentioned that he thought it could be done but found out otherwise. The reason the Joey is unable to handle a direct EHD is that it is a dumb receiver, it doesn’t have the electronics to handle that. The USB is for use with a bluetooth adapter should you require that feature.

Someone here said you could use an external hard drive with a Joey?

My installer claimed we could! He was wrong. IIRC before the H2K came out, Scott suggested we could too. I think he was misinformed as well.
There were no several people that said that you could. The Krell mentioned that he thought it could be done but found out otherwise.

Wow. Good memory Bobby. Actually I didn't think it could be done; my installer surprised me. There were all manner of extra connectors on Dish receivers that look promising but were never used. Do you remember that long connector on the back of the 501? I was convinced that was for an EHD, but it was never used. That was all pre-USB.

Yes, it was back in Sept. when I first asked the question as it was about that time, maybe a little earlier that I upgraded from the 722 to the Hopper/Joey, which at that time I knew nothing about. I said several people but it might have been one or two, I did not go back to my original thread to see exactly what was said but I did remember there was a little debate about it. Even the rep on Dish chat was not sure. Once I got my edhs together I found how to make things work through the Hopper and usb hub (thanks to a suggestion here). Bottom line is that it works well so all is good.

I have two hooked up just now through the powered usb hub - work great! I'm all set now but I still wish the Joey's usb port could play the ehd. I don't know what it is there for. Maybe to hook up a blue tooth device or something or a wifi dongle, other than that I don't know why they even have a usb port on a Joey if it won't accept a drive.
Bluetooth dongle for connecting headphones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)