Got DTV installed yesterday - not too pleased

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've had a HR44, H44 and HR54 Genie's and never had a problem with 'soft' PQ and this was on a 73" DLP and 65" 4K UHD set.

I have an HR44 with a three year old Vizio, it has a good picture.

Did some research last night and found someone on the other satellite forum mentioned they think their Genie doesn't provide as good PQ. Come to think about it my sister has a Genie at her house (HR44), and it to me looks a little on the soft side (more cable-like as well). My parents have old HD receivers, and their PQ looks fantastic.

Could it be that these new Genies are delivering "softer pictures?" I know some of you say the PQ is good, but have you also tried an older HD, non-genie receiver on the same TV to compare?

Thanks

Could it just be a HDMI handshake issue? I am not sure how that works, so please excuse my ignorance.

My HR54 looks fine on my 70" Sony UHD set. I had a Tivo Roamio OTA before that. Looks pretty good to me.

Could it just be a HDMI handshake issue? I am not sure how that works, so please excuse my ignorance.

My HR54 looks fine on my 70" Sony UHD set. I had a Tivo Roamio OTA before that. Looks pretty good to me.

I've heard the term..not exactly sure what it is either though.

I tried a different HDMI cable from another room that is fairly new, and plugged the DTV receiver directly to the TV (not going through my Denon AVR), and the PQ was the same.

There is no difference between the PQ of the older DVRs, the HR44/54 and the mini-clients. I have an HR54 and an HR24 on the same 70in TV and on the same channel the PQ is identical. Just for fun, I added a C41 client to the same TV and all three pictures have the same quality.
The PQ on locals is often not as good as it used to be, because many local stations have added subchannels that steal the bandwidth.
Remember some channels (ESPN, ABC in most cities) only broadcast 720p not 1080i and this can sometimes be quite noticeable.

Reactions: maverick22
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I guess I'll just have to accept it. It's not bad...just not spectacular like I had thought it.

I notice that through the app there seem to be more episodes of shows available -- why is that?

Also, does downloading of shows through On Demand slow down the Genie?

What seems to make the Genie slow down at times? I have seen this from time to time (unsure of the cause) and want to avoid it if I can.

Thanks again

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I guess I'll just have to accept it. It's not bad...just not spectacular like I had thought it.

I notice that through the app there seem to be more episodes of shows available -- why is that?

What seems to make the Genie slow down at times? I have seen this from time to time (unsure of the cause) and want to avoid it if I can.

Thanks again
I don't have any slow downs when downloading or at any other time

There's a few places settings need to be changed to get beat PQ. First go to menu, settings, video, resolutions, and make sure all boxes your TV supports are checked. Genie boxes automatically pick the best resolution possible as lone as all are checked. Next, while on normal picture (is live tv) hit the info button to bring up the top bar. Using the arrows go to audio/video. You should see the broadcast resolution as 1080i-original format. If it's not set to that click it until it changes to 1080 original. It's a vital step that techs sometimes forget to get best PQ.

Nown if a box is taking a long time to respond, there's a few things that could cause it. First thing I would check is the wall plate where the coax line plugs into the wall. Unscrew it and look to see what color the inside is. It should be orange. If it's clear, white, or blue it should have been changed out at install.

If the wall barrel is orange at the client and the genie, i would check to make sure that your boxes aren't set for native format. Menu, settings, display, preferences, should be the top box if I remember right. Turn native off.

Thanks again

My HR54 Genie is not slowed down noticeably by any downloads it does. Most of the time, it is fairly responsive. Only very occasionally does it lag at all to remote inputs, usually when in the Guide. We're talking less than a second delay here, not multiple seconds like TWC Navigator or anything.

There's a few places settings need to be changed to get beat PQ. First go to menu, settings, video, resolutions, and make sure all boxes your TV supports are checked. Genie boxes automatically pick the best resolution possible as lone as all are checked. Next, while on normal picture (is live tv) hit the info button to bring up the top bar. Using the arrows go to audio/video. You should see the broadcast resolution as 1080i-original format. If it's not set to that click it until it changes to 1080 original. It's a vital step that techs sometimes forget to get best PQ.

Nown if a box is taking a long time to respond, there's a few things that could cause it. First thing I would check is the wall plate where the coax line plugs into the wall. Unscrew it and look to see what color the inside is. It should be orange. If it's clear, white, or blue it should have been changed out at install.

If the wall barrel is orange at the client and the genie, i would check to make sure that your boxes aren't set for native format. Menu, settings, display, preferences, should be the top box if I remember right. Turn native off.
Stephen, since you are a new member we'll forgive you but your post is full of misinformation, mainly installer "urban legend".
First, the color of the wall insert can have no effect on the response of the box. In fact, the color of the wall plate is not relevant to anything. Installers will tell you that having the wrong color wall plate can cause anything from signal loss, to missing channels, to fires in the cables. NONE OF THESE ARE TRUE. The only difference between the wall plates is m,arginal changes in signal losses, so small you would be hard puched to measure it. When a DirectV tech installs a wall plate he will use orange ones, the only thing this tells you is that the DirecTV tech did in fact change it. It's a quality control issue.

Second, you are getting all the resolution and native stuff mixed up. The DirecTV box gets a signal in a resolution determined by the channel provider. SD channels are 480i/p, HD channels are 720p or 1080i (i'm ignoring 1080p on PPV movie channels, and 4K, because they are special cases). Setting native to "on" means the DirectV box sends the signal to the TV without changing the resolution, and then allows the TV to upscale the resolution to the TV's own resolution (typically 1080p). Setting native to "off" tells the DirecTV box to do the upscaling before the signal goes to the TV. So the most common settings are:
native on with checkmarks for all the resolutions supported by the TV
or: native off with only one resolution checked (typically 1080i), all signals will be upscaled to that resolution

If your TV has a better upscaler than the DirecTV box, native on is normally used
If the DirecTV box is better, use native off.
In 99.9% of the cases, you won't see any difference.
There are some other considerations. Because of the HDMI handshake between the DirecTV box and the TV, some TVs will have faster channel changes with native off. Also, native on allows the TV aspect controls to operate. Personally all my TVs are set to native off and 1080i/p

Thank you, guys, very much for the information! Learning more every day.

I don't know if my TV or DTV box has better upscaling. I think I'll try to do Native Off and 1080i like you suggested (well Native Off is already set but then I also have 720p, 1080i, 1080p all checked). My Samsung has a great picture but is about 6 years old.

Thank you, guys, very much for the information! Learning more every day.

I don't know if my TV or DTV box has better upscaling. I think I'll try to do Native Off and 1080i like you suggested (well Native Off is already set but then I also have 720p, 1080i, 1080p all checked). My Samsung has a great picture but is about 6 years old.
Then don't forget to hit INFO then scroll right to the AUDIO/VIDEO option then CHANGE RESOLTUION & FORMAT and make sure that it's got 1080i native selected.

Then don't forget to hit INFO then scroll right to the AUDIO/VIDEO option then CHANGE RESOLTUION & FORMAT and make sure that it's got 1080i native selected.

Okay, will do! What about shows that are 1080p though? If I checked "native off," have only 1080i selected, will 1080p shows look worse?

thanks

If you have 1080p checked as a supported resolution the box will automatically switch to 1080p.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)