Got my FiOsTV hooked up today

CluelessOne

Original poster
Apr 22, 2006
Initial thoughts are, SD is not as good as the picture I got with Dish Network. Very disappointing. After watching the basketball game on TNT and the MLB game on ESPN I realize now the HD picture is also not as good as it was on Dish. Not sure what the deal is. SD on the local channels is where it really seems to be the big difference as opposed to say something like the Food Network.

Last edited:
very surprising. that was the first thing i noticed, how good the sd was. are you the one i told to adjust your picture settings when you got it? try that. to me, the sd is way better than dish or bhc. never had direct so can't say anything abou them.

That makes no sense, I came from Dish the the quality is WAY better in both SD and HD. Perhaps you should check your settings in the "shutdown menu" that you get at when the unit is off (press the menu button). It may be in 480i or something.

If that isn't it, I would have Verizon come back out and see what's up; everyone on here that has gotten it has remarked how much better the FIOS pq is.

Just got done watching Lost. HD on the local channels is much better than what I had before. With my over the air antenna I never got a signal strength over like 82% and lot of things were in the 60-72 range so like Lost and American Idol stuff look much better in HD than what I was seeing before.

The basketball game on TNT does not look as good on Dish. Its not bad by any means but I used to get an outstanding picture on TNT and now its just really good. I will wait and see how the second basketball game looks as sometimes different games look better whether thats arena lighting or what.

UPDATE:

My SD channels are showing up in 480i. Can they show up any other way? My HD channels say they are showing up in 1080i.

Last edited:
Well I cant figure out how to change it from 480i. When I am on the HD channels it shows 1080i and then I switch to an SD channel and it shows 480i.

On my TV remote I have a "Virtual HD" button. It says "press this button to toggle between 1080i and 540p". When I hit the button and it says 1080i at the bottom I dont notice any difference in the picture. If I hit it again and it says 540p, I still dont notice any change in the picture.

Tomorrow I am going to sit down with my Digital Video Essentials DVD and mess with the settings and see if I can make the picture a little better.

Last edited:
Watching the Suns game now on TNT HD and its a noticeable difference between watching on FiOs and on Dish Network. Picture is not nearly as crisp a picture as with Dish. I dont know what the deal is but I am not happy. :confused:

Perhaps you should check your settings in the "shutdown menu" that you get at when the unit is off (press the menu button)

Ok here is what it says

TV TYPE 16:9
YPbPr Output 1080i
4:3 Override 480i

I can change the 480i to "480p", "stretch", or "Off". I didnt seem to notice a picture improement when doing any of these.

Found this on another site;

3. Picture Quality. Overall, HD is great. The ESPN feeds are so much better than they were on DirecTV. The SD Picture quality has been a bit disappointing.

BUT, GETTING BETTER....
1. Verizon is coming out tomorrow (the tech left his direct dial number), and is correcting the picture quality problem. They believe they are pumping out too much signal over the coax and are going to "turn it down", to stop some of the picture interference in SD. We'll see, but I'm impressed they responded in less than a day to fix it.

UPDATE: FIOS Standard Definition Channels. Picture Quality.

Well, Verizon came out, checked out the hardware, everything is fine here at the house.

The issue is that the SD channels seem to be a bit "over-compressed" (digital channels such as CNN, Disney, Bravo, etc). I'm seeing many motion artifacts on these channels.

Turns out Verizon knows about this. Sounds like they are trying to be a bit cute with their compression at the head-end (or the HD box really stinks at SD content).

Is the SD picture quality horrible? No, it's on par with Digital Cable, but not as good as DirecTV SD.

So it sounds like at least one other person has experienced my pain.

I still think you should have Verizon come out and check it- I've had both DirecTV and Dish and the SD and HD are better than both.

In the User Settings of the DVR I have it set at TV TYPE 16:9, YPbPr OUTPUT 1080I, and 4:3 OVERRIDE OFF. With this setting on my widescreen tv, I get a sharper picture (with a slight notice of compression of fast action), and a couple inches added in the overscan. If you have the override set to something like 480i, it takes out the overscan and softens the picture.

You can try this and see if it helps. How do you have the DVR connected to your tv?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)