Got my first C band signal last weekend

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jullius

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
La Crosse, WI
My many frustrating attempts at getting a signal on a BUD have finally paid off. Turns out my LNBF was to blame. :( I bought a new LNBF after rescuing a 6ft mesh Star Trak. The dish was in fair condition, but I could never get any quality on my receiver. I blamed my line of sight, the dish and the elusiveness of C band signals, but not my new LNBF.

I gave up for a few weeks. One day when I was visiting my sister, I noticed the neighbor had a 7.5 Sami out back in excellent condition. I asked her if she would find out if they still used it, long story short I got the dish for free and a Uniden Supra reciever.

I spent several hours trying to aim the sami last Saturday, surely the extra surface area will help... but still 0 quality. I was about to give up hope when I decided, why not try the old LNB, so I looked down the feedhorn and decided to guess that the probe should face vertically for vertical poliarity and after about 5 minutes of slowly bumping the dish... I had 72W and NASA TV on C band :)

sweet :)

if you aim at 91 or 99W there are lots of signals that are very strong to pick up :)
121W has some stronger stuff to

Congrats! It's always fun to find that first c=band signal. Sami dishes are pretty good dishes, I like my 10', and that one should do fine job for you. That Supra had a good reputation too, I never owned one but have a couple of other Unidens that are still going, though not in use right now. Makes a good dish mover, if you have an actuator.

Pictures

Here's a picture of the dish and the inside of it's Venture actuator. Assuming the actuator still works, I'm going to try hooking it up to the analog receiver and see if I can get it motorized.

Probably going to end up getting the Gbox and new actuator at some point, am I correct in thinking that even if this one still works, I will need a 36V version?

Attachments

• dish 001.jpg
    dish 001.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 227
  • dish 003.jpg
    dish 003.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 244
Here's a picture of the dish and the inside of it's Venture actuator. Assuming the actuator still works, I'm going to try hooking it up to the analog receiver and see if I can get it motorized.

Probably going to end up getting the Gbox and new actuator at some point, am I correct in thinking that even if this one still works, I will need a 36V version?

if it works ? save money
there are somethings on the old box a few times a year.

Nice sami dish. I have a 7.5' out back and its a great little antenna. it picks up most everything. I used to watch HBO and cinemax from G15 (G1 4dtv). everybody used to cry and complain about getting pixellation on those harder to lock feeds because of their 7/8 fec and for us low on the horizon. You will love the sami. I remember my first c band signal. It was the outdoor channel dvb if my memory serves me right (4180H-29270) on G10R at 123w.
I was using a 6 foot commercial prodelin offset Ku antenna with an astrotel gold series 20 degree lnbf with a scalar ring for offset dish. I had another astrotel off to the side of that one at the time to get 127w c-band back in the day. My prodelin was rescued from the roof of a local car dealer who no longer was going to use Hughes Network services in favor of DSL broadband.

I still have it and I have a 1.2 Meter prodelin that I have never put up or used.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts