Got my GooFi installation appointment today

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rharkins

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Kansas City, MO USA
Google Fiber installed the drop to my house sometime last week, and I got an email for my installation appointment for Friday.

Gigabit internet is $70 a month, and TV is added for an additional $60. Channel lineup is pretty close to Top250. Price includes an 8 tuner DVR and one TV box. Additional TVs are $5.

I've been with Dish for 15(?) years, and I love my Hopper, but my Dish bill is creeping up towards $120 a month. The Google DVR doesn't have a lot of the features that the Hopper does, but except for AutoHop, I don't think I'll miss them. I like that Google does not do any additional compression of the video streams like Dish does.

I have until Friday to decide which way to go. I'll just have to see what kind of retention offer Dish has...

My vote is to switch. You KNOW what Dish is going to keep doing, so go with Google and see if it's better. If it is, SCORE!

In my area, even Charter is now better than Dish (except of course that Charter's dvr's suck.)! I never thought I'd be able to say that Charter would be better than Dish in my lifetime...

Reactions: old corps
Honestly, if there is no contract, I say switch for Atleast 60 days. I haven't seen a single live report on Google, so I expect you to come back and tell us how it is... But try this new service. It is new to everyone...

My vote is to switch. You KNOW what Dish is going to keep doing, so go with Google and see if it's better. If it is, SCORE!

In my area, even Charter is now better than Dish (except of course that Charter's dvr's suck.)! I never thought I'd be able to say that Charter would be better than Dish in my lifetime...

+1
Neither did I, but other than their DVRs it appears to be true.

Ed

Google Fiber installed the drop to my house sometime last week, and I got an email for my installation appointment for Friday.

Gigabit internet is $70 a month, and TV is added for an additional $60. Channel lineup is pretty close to Top250. Price includes an 8 tuner DVR and one TV box. Additional TVs are $5.

I've been with Dish for 15(?) years, and I love my Hopper, but my Dish bill is creeping up towards $120 a month. The Google DVR doesn't have a lot of the features that the Hopper does, but except for AutoHop, I don't think I'll miss them. I like that Google does not do any additional compression of the video streams like Dish does.

I have until Friday to decide which way to go. I'll just have to see what kind of retention offer Dish has...
I switched from Dish to GF back in January and I am very satisfied. Overall the Hopper is a superior platform, but GF is quite comparable with one or two better features. As long as you won't miss AMC or the Sling Features I say go for it. What little I gave up in the switch I am getting back in cost savings! i wrote up this comparison and put it in the Pub forum:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3CD9C2D7F1C0DB11!2456&authkey=!AI_QXq4lVwQ0kNw&ithint=file,pdf

Reactions: rharkins
I know it's in Phx. I didn't know how big the market was. They are competing directly with Cox on Gigabit Internet. Cox wants something like $150/month for it, and Google said something like "pay for the tower for us, and it's free for 5 years". The tower is less than $1000 and has to sit in your yard... Hmmm

If there is, it's probably pretty lonely.... It's only up and running in 3-4 cities.
Yeah - just me and rharkins :)

The service is live in Kansas City and Provo. Austin is still in the build-out phase. Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh-Durham and Salt Lake City have been announced, but no major movement.

That's one I haven't heard yet. So did they run the fiber to the house and forget to terminate it or have they just not lit up your neighborhood yet?

I had to wait 6 weeks or so after they attached the fiber to my house before I got my install notice. Once you get the service it's great, but the construction/waiting process can be maddening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts