got my new 921 and now it has died

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dodge

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Plano, Illinois, United States
I got my new 921 the other day thursday, got it all hooked up and it would not recognize the dp pro plus separotr, hooked up a standard splitter and let it download the corrupt software overnight. next morning software was up to date and called dish to activate, worked fine for a couple of days, then on sunday it would not launch any timers, this made me mad, the time on the unit was off no correct time. Turned it on monday nothing just the stupid hdtv medallion nothing else, called dish tech support and was on with them for over an hour, gues what??? It bit the dust!!! 5 days old and it took a
s@%t what a piece of crap, dish is sending me a new soon, more to follow!!!

Is this receiver a piece of crap or what?????

Unh. This is a common symptom when you use a splitter instead of a separator.

The tuners get VERY confused. What's the switch matrix look like?

splitter not separator

I used the splitter just to download the software, after the current software was downloaded, I connected the dish plus pro separator and my switch matrix was fine, 119 110 and 61.5 no problem, it just died hard drive must've crashed according to e*

921 has many documented issues.

942 is better.

I begged and got a 942 for half the price of a 921 at Costco -- plus, I'm leasing so MPEG4 upgrading should be less of an issue.

Plus, the PQ with the 942 is AMAZING -- the hardware tuners and software are improved over the 921.

921 = bad.
942 = good.

dodge said:
I got my new 921 the other day thursday, got it all hooked up and it would not recognize the dp pro plus separotr, hooked up a standard splitter and let it download the corrupt software overnight. next morning software was up to date and called dish to activate, worked fine for a couple of days, then on sunday it would not launch any timers, this made me mad, the time on the unit was off no correct time. Turned it on monday nothing just the stupid hdtv medallion nothing else, called dish tech support and was on with them for over an hour, gues what??? It bit the dust!!! 5 days old and it took a
s@%t what a piece of crap, dish is sending me a new soon, more to follow!!!

Is this receiver a piece of crap or what?????
I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but I have absolutely no sympathy for you regarding your new "piece of crap" 921. Multiple people including myself attempted to repeatedly warn you of the problems associated with the 921. We all attempted to steer you towards a 942 in a thread started by you where if I recall, you were asking about the size of the hard drive in a 921 vs a 942. Do you remeber when I told you the following in response to one of your posts on 06/02/05?
dodge said:
Dont care much about the psip info over the air because my market chicago has been hit or miss, and I have put up with an 811 for months now.
250 gig is not ig enought for me,I have a 721 thats 90hrs and it is still not big enough!!!!!

Thats why i was wondering if anyone with a 942 had an external hard disk, if not capable I will go with a 921 and see what happens
You'll be sorry....Don't say we didn't warn you. If you do decide to buy a 921, make sure you get it from Costco or somewhere that has a return policy so you can get your money back.

Don't confuse the 921 with the 721. Although they are similar and may have been built on the same platform, the 921 has alot more problems and in my opinion is not nearly as stable as the 721.

Also one more thing, the 942 has the exact same hard drive size as the 921. The 921 will never be hard drive expandable. DISH has stated that the 942 eventually will, supposedly by mid to end of summer. The 942 also has Name Based Recording now and the 921 never will, at least if you believe what most folks are saying. Don't underestimate the joy of NBR if you have never had the opportunity to use it.

I have both a 942 and a 921 and there is almost no comparrison between the two.

I guess some people never learn or maybe they think they are just too smart to heed the advice of others who have used a product and attempt to offer feedback regarding it. I hope for your sake you at least took my suggestion of buying the 921 form Costco or someplace where you can return it for a full refund. If not, enjoy your new "piece of crap" 921 but don't say you didn't get what you paid for or that you didn't know what to expect when you bought it. I think you recieved fair warning.

All,
Please don't take my post the wrong way. I too still have my 921 and like many of you have had little problems with it except for many of the same minor annoyances. With this being said, I have to add that although my 921 problems were minor compared to some, I still went through three of them. I also now have a 942 and believe that in it's current state it is far superior to the current state of the 921 and is really what the 921 should have been. I have almost no problems from my 942 other than needing to do an occasional reboot (three in 2 months) which fixed any of my minor problems.

What I was attempting to convey was that well before Dodge bought his 921, he asked questions regarding the unit including size of hard drive and if the drive was expandable. Many current 921 users including myself attempted to warn him of the annoyances we had experienced with our own 921's and reccommended he consider the 942 as in it's current state, it has proven to be much more stable and less "buggy" than the current state of the 921.

I'm not trying to attack or belittle Dodge in any way. I guess I'm just tired of repeatedly hearing whining from people about the 921 in it's current state that have either read about all the problems with it here or at DBStalk or were warned in advance (as Dodge was) and told they should consider the 942. They then choose to try the 921, maybe thinking they will be immune to the problems experienced by everyone else, and then come back here and complain about it.

I think it is clear to most that the 921 is for the most part a dead product (with the lack of regular updates and the approaching release of MPEG4) and I'm just baffled that people will continue to put themselves through the abuse of dealing with it just to save a little $$$ vs the 942.

Sorry for the rant and also sorry to Dodge if I offended him.

Yep.

All the negative experiences to read regarding 921 issues and some folks just don't wanna believe it and run out and buy a 921 anyway! Sure, you might get lucky and not get a lemon, but why fart around and take a chance?

Self: Hey, wife, don't stick your hand in the Insinkerator when the cat is on the counter.
Wife: That's OK, Amber is just looking for some tuna.

Self: Wife, Amber is rubbing on the wall near the switch.
Wife: I'm not done looking for my ring.

Self: Please take your hand out of the garbage disposal.
Wife: Don't tell me what to do.

Self: Watch out.
Wife: Schreeeeeeeeeeek!

Self: I guess you won't be needing that ring afterall.
Cat: Purrrrrrrrrrr.

David Dietzel said:
Yep.

All the negative experiences to read regarding 921 issues and some folks just don't wanna believe it and run out and buy a 921 anyway! Sure, you might get lucky and not get a lemon, but why fart around and take a chance?

Self: Hey, wife, don't stick your hand in the Insinkerator when the cat is on the counter.

Man, if I called my wife "Wife" all the time, I'd be the one in the disposal! :) How come you call the cat by name but not your wife? :confused:

Anyways, I too like my 921, it works pretty darn well, but there sure are alot of people who have posted numerous issues with it. Luckily, I have avoided them all one way or another. (it still works better OTA than my 811 did)

SatinKzo:

Ummm....it's called creative writing skills...such an event never happened.

Love my 942, tho. Super picture quality. Great-looking on-screen menus. Professional-looking silver exterior matches my Sony set and Sony DVD player -- doesn't even look like a typical sat or cable box, it looks like a high-quality home theater component.

Life is good.

David Dietzel said:
Yep.

ROFLMAO... David, That was priceless!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)