Got my price increase notice

Yup. Got my notice of the price increase w/2 brochures on Monday. As a DDA customer I was expecting an $8 increase. But they're giving back $3/mo for a year and I "saved" $0.98 for an extra 625, so my net increase was a manageable $3.98.

By the way, I explained these "savings" in another thread. Since the damnable DVR fee is $5.98 regardless of receiver type, when you subscribe to DDR you get relieved of the $5.98 on your 1st receiver. $5.98 X 12 = $71.76, hence the"over $70/yr" in savings. It also states that the more DVRs you have on your account, the greater the savings, "up to $12/yr." Recall that the DVR fee + additional receiver fee was formerly $10.98 or $12.98, depending upon SD or HD receivers. So each additional DVR receiver (after the first) at $10 (or $12 for HD) combined yields the $0.98/mo X 12 months = $11.71/yr.

It all adds up, both literally and figuratively. ;)

Yup. Got my notice of the price increase w/2 brochures on Monday. As a DDA customer I was expecting an $8 increase. But they're giving back $3/mo for a year and I "saved" $0.98 for an extra 625, so my net increase was a manageable $3.98.

By the way, I explained these "savings" in another thread. Since the damnable DVR fee is $5.98 regardless of receiver type, when you subscribe to DDR you get relieved of the $5.98 on your 1st receiver. $5.98 X 12 = $71.76, hence the"over $70/yr" in savings. It also states that the more DVRs you have on your account, the greater the savings, "up to $12/yr." Recall that the DVR fee + additional receiver fee was formerly $10.98 or $12.98, depending upon SD or HD receivers. So each additional DVR receiver (after the first) at $10 (or $12 for HD) combined yields the $0.98/mo X 12 months = $11.71/yr.

It all adds up, both literally and figuratively. ;)
I'm not sure the math makes sense. DVR fee = $5.98. Locals = $5. Total = $10.98. DDA = $10, so we're only saving .98 x 12. ($11.76). I'm not sure how adding $10 (DDA) to save $10.98 nets anyone a yearly savings of $71.76...

I'm not sure the math makes sense. DVR fee = $5.98. Locals = $5. Total = $10.98. DDA = $10, so we're only saving .98 x 12. ($11.76). I'm not sure how adding $10 (DDA) to save $10.98 nets anyone a yearly savings of $71.76...

I believe they are also count $5 a month you can now save with waving the no phone line fee. $5x12 + $0.98x12 = $71.76

A most excellent point. I have the log of my chat sessions to prove that at least two on-line CSRs claimed the $70 in savings comes from the DVR fee X 12.

Seems as though both CSRs were just guessing. I am again outraged over the "$70/yr savings" language. What a crock!

bhelms,

Rule 1:

If it has the word SOON in it and it's coming from Dish Network, don't trust it. :)
Oh, I think we can trust "soon"...and for that matter "up to". We are just completely unable to define those qualifiers in terms the average JSP understands! (I'm seeing Charlie and Dish as abject politicians. "If their lips are moving...") :D

(New addage forming in my mind - maybe I should trademark it!) "The path to DirecTV is paved with Dish's good intentions...!"

Last edited:
No they helped me out by knocking some of the price off and I did ask if there was a commitment and they said no. Plus I was already done with mine but yes I knew to ask about that..

Wouldn't you need to sign a document before they can lock you in for another 2 years?

Got it. My bill went up $4. Smithsonian is still listed. What irks me is that Charlie said on the last chat the new HD channels were coming in Feb. Then you reported on the retailer chat where Jim said they were coming in the "spring".

S~

Overpromise and underdeliver. It's Charlie's mantra. Surely you've picked up on this by now? :)

Here is the scan (at least of one side) from the other thread:

img009.jpg

I haven't gotten one myself as HD Absolute isn't going up.:)

If you have Two HD TV's you need two HD recievers/DVR's....correct

I did not get a price increase notice . I did get a nice red envelope with a pretty red card inside. Looks like a Valentine. Inside the card were two coupons, each one good for a free movie on PPV. Value of $4.99 each. Says it is an exclusive offer for our best customers. I have never used PPV because there are very few movies I like and at my age I can't stay awake long enough to watch the whole thing. Can you record PPV movies on the VIP 622 so I can watch in parts?

I did not get a price increase notice . I did get a nice red envelope with a pretty red card inside. Looks like a Valentine.
That offer is the subject of another thread around here.
Can you record PPV movies on the VIP 622 so I can watch in parts?
Yes, although once you start watching it, you will have to finish within a 24 hr period or else it becomes inaccessible. That nauseating change happened about a year ago.

In March, were are supposed to get the Reno HD locals. Are they free if you have the $5 local package and the $10 HD package? I don't need the dish feed since I get them OTA, but it would save a little room on the HDD and help with scheduling conflicts.

Yes, although once you start watching it, you will have to finish within a 24 hr period or else it becomes inaccessible. That nauseating change happened about a year ago.

That isn't true for all PPVs. Only the ones title "limited recording". I just checked and only 7 of the current offerings fall into this category right now. Many are still available to save and watch again and again.

In March, were are supposed to get the Reno HD locals. Are they free if you have the $5 local package and the $10 HD package? I don't need the dish feed since I get them OTA, but it would save a little room on the HDD and help with scheduling conflicts.

Yes, if you have an HD package and your locals then you get the HD locals as well.

I find it odd that in the Charlie Chat from December, 2008, both Speed and FX were listed in the HD channels "soon" to be added - along with the rest of those in this brochure. Now they seem to have fallen off the radar screen. That either means they intend to add them "soon", or negotiations have fallen through for those channels and they are back at the bottom of the priority list.

Well you'd think that with Fox news and Business HD coming aboard that the negotiations have continued/concluded.... And seeing that fox owns both FX and Speed, it might just be a matter of one side (E*) flipping the switch. But then again who knows as like everyone else, am little tired of getting the proverbial smoke blown up the pooper by E*

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)