Got my Sonic Voom headphones, now what?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
>Where 2 Sonic units on 2 different receivers produce the same no-result,
>it would seem the problem lies somewhere in the setup or cabling

I've tried them on both receivers but have a new problem now. On the geosat, it didn't work so I'm trying on the traxis again. This time, I've got it connected to optical but now my LNB seems to have blown up again. I do see 250ohms on it so it's not wide open but cannot get anything in again. It's the third LNB I've installed on this blasted traxis setup.

>I would completely disconnect everything you have, for testing purposes run
>either the audio coax or optic cable directly between between your receiver
>and Sonic unit then plug in the phones.

I'll have to get back to this once I've solved the LNB problem. I do have a spare Standard LNB but it's way too cold to be out there doing that today. We put our Thanksgiving get together off until tomorrow since the in-laws thought the weather was supposed to be very bad today. Doesn't seem bad but it's cold :).

>I don't know what you mean when you say the AC3 sounds like an amped
>up modem.

Just a joke. You know how a modem sounds, AC3 unencrypted sounds (sorta) similar.

>It almost sounds like you have audio from your receiver's RCA plugs connected
>to your TV in addition to your receiver's coax or optical connected to your
>Sonic unit
at the same time [undesirable].

Sort of.
I have Y cables connected on the RCA outputs. One set goes to a switcher in the basement so that I can output and see what's going on for testing.
The other goes into it's own modulator so that I have a channel for that particular device on my house coax.

However, while testing, I did change the cables into the modulator to be the decoder output so there should be no conflict. I don't think there's anything intercepting or interfering but I don't see the harm in disconnecting everything but the decider to see what happens.

Have to get my LNB going first.

On the geosat, I have coaxial but no optical.
On the traxis, I do have both.
On both units, there are no additional settings to change output in any of the menus unless perhaps it's a hidden option.
In fact, there's not a heck of a lot for options on this thing. It's a 3500.

Last edited:
>If I had to guess, I would guess that he has all 3 plugs of his RCA cable AND his Sonic coax
>or optic outputting at the same time, but who knows w/o being able to see it?

Sort of. Everything is physically connected but not terminated.
In other words, I do have Y cables coming off of the L/R traxis unit, one set goes into a local switcher, the other goes into a modulator.
However, for testing, the switcher is turned off and I have the second set disconnected and the decider connected in place.
Nothing would be outputting at the same time, that I can think of.

>You stated that the GEOSATpro has coaxial and that is the selection you have made on the unit.......
>Except that the GEOSATpro DVR1100c and DSR100c/200c have optical outputs not coaxial.

That's right. My GeoSatPro DSR-R100 only has an SPDIF connector, which is coaxial, not optical.
I do know the difference between a two wire connector vs a glass based one :).

BTW, on my LNB problem, in the setup, I have LNB power ON which I believe is the correct setting right? I don't recall changing it since it was working but just in case.

yes LNB power has to be on

sometimes a hard reboot (turn off receiver with switch on back) can bring back a LNB

>sometimes a hard reboot (turn off receiver with switch on back) can bring back a LNB

Ya, tried that. I'll unplug it and let it sit for a few hours. That worked once. The geosat has been a good box, requiring the same maybe twice since I've had it but the traxis is always acting weird.

Sounds like the Traxis might have "transponder overload" from too many blind scans. I know my Pansats do that...they act really weird for no reason

What I would do is start going through the sats that you dont use and removing transponders from the list. Now I dont know if the Traxis removes the channel when the transponder is removed (Coolsat & Geosat do...Pansat does not). If you remove dead transponders that frees up the memory

My GeoSatPro DSR-R100 only has an SPDIF connector, which is coaxial, not optical.
I do know the difference between a two wire connector vs a glass based one :).

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I forgot that you had the DSR-R100 rack mount receiver! My apologies!!!

>If you remove dead transponders that frees up the memory

I had done that on my geosat but can't recall if I got around to doing the traxis. I'll factory default the darn thing so I know I'm going from scratch. Then I'll remove dead TP as suggested.

Did the headphone cable mod this morning... Works well and now when switching from satellite to OTA I don't get blasted out of my chair.
Maybe I can put away the stereo remote now I won't have to play with the volume so much!
Thanks Jim (I think you posted the wire colors etc)
-C.
(red - unused
> green - unused
> red/green - left audio
> gold - shield or ground
>
> 2nd cord...
> red - unused
> green - unused
> red/gold - right audio
> gold - shield or ground)

I've not abandoned the thread but my KU setup no longer works and only my traxis has optical out. I changed the LNB out and the problem remains. I need to check the output voltages on the receiver next. What a pain the KU setup has been.

Hey Ice, if you recall my setup, do you think it would be possible to put both a KU and C-Band LNB on that 6' dish I have?

sure you could do that. I had a DMX741 on my 6 footer for a while (WSI/Galaxy-Marketing sells them)....you can use one cable for both C & KU by using the jumper wire on the LNB from the KU to the internal switch. The 741 is a standard KU so you can use the 22k settings in it. The only drawback is it is single output so you'd have to hook the 410 back up to be "slaved" like it use to be before you got the dual output LNB

>I had a DMX741 on my 6 footer for a while.

Way cool. I'd get the benefit of using the 6' dish instead of the 90cm plus could use just one receiver for both KU and C-Band right?

>you can use one cable for both C & KU by using the jumper wire on the LNB
>from the KU to the internal switch.

I have a dual cable going to that dish, into a dual LNBF.

>The only drawback is it is single output so you'd have to hook the 410 back up
>to be "slaved" like it use to be before you got the dual output LNB

That doesn't sound like much of a drawback, it sounds more exciting than the constantly troublesome traxis and 90CM dish setup I've got. Then I could use the geosat for both KU/C-band and the 410 keeps getting it's W5.

This sounds like a good solution.

Got one on order. Next is to decide what to do about receivers. I won't need the traxis anymore and the geosat leaves me without hd or AC3 again. Maybe it's time to find a clean used coolsat that does it all. I don't know those models but that would be an 8000 and up right?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)