Got New 5 LNB Dish!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
He did a good job as far as I could tell, he didnt damage my home. If the QC guy wouldnt have told me he lied about the 5LNB, I would have never known and I would still have my 3lnb up today. So its not a matter of poor workmanship (besides the bad ground) its about an untruthful installer and unnecessary mounting holes. He was an employee and a representative of directv so I assumed he was being truthful. Had I known all of this before, of course I wouldnt have signed anything. Hell, I didnt even know that he worked for a private contractor for directv. His hat and shirt said directv, so I assumed he worked for directv.

Last edited:
Okay, give me one good reason I shouldnt have signed off on it given the circumstances. Did you read my story on what happened in the other thread? I had the installer at my house AND a lady from D* on the phone telling me the KA KU couldnt be installed on the roof. The lady from D* said she wasnt aware of it (because it wasnt true) but if the tech said it he was right. She also said if I paid the $75 for a pole-mount and he couldnt get a line of site, I was out $75 and stuck with a pole concreted in my yard. The tech said the only way he could find out for sure if he could get a line of site was if he put it on the pole. When the QC guy came out he said the two power lines in question wouldnt have hindered my reception at all. So according to the tech it was either the 3LNB or nothing. If D* wouldnt have sent out an incompetent technician, none of this would have happened. I signed off on the work he did, which was fine but falsely represented and I have proof of it. Im sure a judge would see it my way.

no sir, you signed off and said the w/o and the install was done to your satisfaction, did you read it?? dish has exactly the same wording , as does com crap and armstrong and adelphia. the wording on all these companies work orders is identical.

one more item of contention. you may not like this, but, roof mounts SUCK,,if the thing could have been on a pole next to the house, it SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON THE WALL OF THE HOUSE!

chaotic646 said:
The way they are now? Why do you say that?

There are a number of things that could be done to MINIMIZE not eliminate the possibility of a leak. anytime you put a hole in the shingles there is a huge chance of a leak. As it freezes and thaws and the humidity goes up and down the wood will swell and contract around that bolt. unless the hole is filled with roof tar and then the bolt inserted then the bolt head covered in tar there will be a leak. A rubber gasket between the base and shingles is NOT going to cut it.

This is the reason only a roofer will put a hole in my roof. A hole the size of a needle will cause the roof to fail over time.

WE HAVE GUYS THAT HAVE DONE THIS PROFESIONALLY FOR DECADES TELLING YOU ALL, DO NOT LET ANYONE INSTALL A DISH ON YOUR ROOF!!!!!!

directvfreak said:
I got my new dish on Saturday! The installers BIRDOG signal meter stopped functioning so he used a crappy channel master thing powered by a receiver. He says he will come back this week once his BIRDOG is fixed and fine tune the dish once more.

what programming package do you get to need this setup. I am asking cause DirectV will be out Sunday to install my 3 HD receiver setup.

Hoxxx said:
what programming package do you get to need this setup. I am asking cause DirectV will be out Sunday to install my 3 HD receiver setup.

You need the HD package that should be free for 3-6 months. And what ever else you want. If you get HBO and/or Showtime you get one HD channel of each.

There are several things you need to be aware about BEFORE the installer comes out to do the install. Prepare yourself and you will be fine. But with the cuts D* is making getting a good tech seams to be getting harder to do.

Eric Goempel said:
WE HAVE GUYS THAT HAVE DONE THIS PROFESIONALLY FOR DECADES TELLING YOU ALL, DO NOT LET ANYONE INSTALL A DISH ON YOUR ROOF!!!!!!

Sometimes the only way to install a dish the size of the AT9 is on the roof. If the front of the customers house is facing south and the customer wants the dish on the back of the house the only way to do it is on the roof or on a pole "I don't know why anyone would not want a pole". If you do it right it will be ok. If you predrill you hole, fill it with sealer, run the lag in, then seal around the head it will be fine. When you do it you want to make it as difficult as possible for the guy who is going to re roof the house to get all the sealer loose.

chaotic646,

When you signed your paper work you stated that you were fine with the install. As dragon stated you are more than likely screwed.

Tate like you said "I don't know why anyone would not want a pole" it is 1000% better than having holes in your roof.

For me I would be all for a pipe mount, but it all depends on where it would have to be for a good LoS and if that required it to be over 6' tall.

Eric Goempel said:
Tate like you said "I don't know why anyone would not want a pole" it is 1000% better than having holes in your roof.

Poles cost and most people want stuff for free.

(see half the threads around here for proof)

Eric Goempel said:

Well I was told I didnt have a choice. The first tech said that he didnt think he could get a line of site from a pole-mount, and he also said the only other possibility was a roof install. When I had dish network, they put the dish up on the eave of my house with a metal bracket. The D* tech said they didnt use those but he did use my old bracket DN left behind for my smaller dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)