Got rid of my 811 today

I, too, have had absolutely no problems with my 811. I have had it for 3+ weeks. SD picture quality is much better than I got with my 301, and the HD quality is equal to what I was getting with my Samsung STB. Never had the 49% problem, and never "acquiring sat signal" problem. OTA Guide info would be terrific, but for a good HDTV receiver, you can't beat $149!
Maybe I should "clone" my unit, and sell them! Wish everyone could have the success and enjoyment I've had.
Tom in TX

I would have to agree. My 811 works great. The only problem I ever had with it from the begining was the constant downloading of the guide. But that has stopped since 266 came out. I get all my locals OTA, I had a 49% problem with signal for a while, then I bought a real antenna (channel master) and a rotator and have no problems viewing OTA stations.

I will admit I am only using the DVI connection and not any of the SD connections so I don't have any problems with dark video. But I think the thing is great.

If they fixed OTA guide data and the dang recall button when watching OTA it would be perfect IMO.

I also ditched my 811 about 2 months after becoming a Dish member. The HD looked incredible on my tv. But I have to tell you. After you've had a taste of DVR, it's hard not to have it. The few crappy HD channels didn't outweight the benefits for me so I sold my 811 to the first sucker I could find on ebay and picked up a 721 and I'm happy as hell. S-Video Output is damn good on my TV and I can record and watch shows at my leisure. A much better value IMHO anyways. And since the 921 is a complete fiasco, I'll keep my hard earned $$ until a decent alternative comes out. The 942 appears to be shapping up as a good product. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Gordon Reid said:
My 811 is supposed to be installed Sunday (Dish screwed up and did not send the information out for installation - was supposed to be done yesterday). How prevalent is this problem and can you minimize it by adjusting the contrast using Video Essentials?

Video Essentials is NOT going to fix the dark picture from the SD outputs. If you watch all your programming through the component or DVI outputs the dark picture is not an issue. It only happens using the S-Video or RCA outs.

The issue is that the expand/stretch modes of the 811 are not as good as my TV. I can not speak for other sets. Actually the SD is upconverted to 1080i instead of 480i when using the Hd outs. Picture should be better.

Kevinw said:
If you watch all your programming through the component or DVI outputs the dark picture is not an issue. It only happens using the S-Video or RCA outs.

Actually, there is a slightly darker image from the 811 DVI and Comp outputs than should be. (Or, lack of detail in the dark areas, actually.) But, it is relatively minor at this point. It was much more noticable during the P265 period. P266 got it back to P264 quality.

GaryPen said:
Actually, there is a slightly darker image from the 811 DVI and Comp outputs than should be. (Or, lack of detail in the dark areas, actually.) But, it is relatively minor at this point. It was much more noticable during the P265 period. P266 got it back to P264 quality.
Correct , I forget about it becasue it is minor. In comparison to other STB's I hve had it is darker. Now that I do no not use them I forget that there is a difference.

Dish 811 for $149. How? When? Where? The best prices I see are around $250 even on e-bay.

HDFan said:
Dish 811 for $149. How? When? Where? The best prices I see are around $250 even on e-bay.

I got mine (installed today) from Dish for 149.00. I had to turn in one of my other receivers for that price, agree to keep HD for one year and have autopay (which I was already doing).

HD is so cool! No dark images.

ocaddict said:
I also ditched my 811 about 2 months after becoming a Dish member. The HD looked incredible on my tv. But I have to tell you. After you've had a taste of DVR, it's hard not to have it. The few crappy HD channels didn't outweight the benefits for me so I sold my 811 to the first sucker I could find on ebay and picked up a 721 and I'm happy as hell. S-Video Output is damn good on my TV and I can record and watch shows at my leisure. A much better value IMHO anyways. And since the 921 is a complete fiasco, I'll keep my hard earned $$ until a decent alternative comes out. The 942 appears to be shapping up as a good product. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

This option is great for people that don't already own a stand alone ReplayTV, which is a better DVR. IMHO

I have the HDTV-ready Hitachi 50v500 hooked up to my 7200 now my 721.
The picture quality is very good.
I can only imagine the PQ when I get an HD receiver hooked up!
I am using S-Video as the tv doesn't have optical input.
I am using optical from my dvd to the 721, which is nice.

charper1 said:
This option is great for people that don't already own a stand alone ReplayTV, which is a better DVR. IMHO

And don't forget more expensive. No way am I gonna pay $12.95 a month for a TIVO when my DVR is free. ;)

rsebolt said:
I am using S-Video as the tv doesn't have optical input.
I am using optical from my dvd to the 721, which is nice.

That doesn't make sense. Or, I'm just dense.

S-video is for a video signal (obviously), and the optical output is for digital audio. I've never seen a TV that does have an otical input.

What do you mean you are using optical from DVD to 721? Does the 721 have an optical input? Even if it does, why are you going from DVD to the 721?

He probably has an "all-in-one" system like mine and is running Optical out from the 721 to the DVD/Stereo. Optical is super crisp and clean sound. I love it.

ocaddict said:
And don't forget more expensive. No way am I gonna pay $12.95 a month for a TIVO when my DVR is free. ;)

I don't pay a monthly fee either. I paid $199 and a lifetime subscription was included. Nor do I have a TiVo. Can you stream video to the other DVRs in your home via wired or wireless networking? Can you move or copy your programs to your PC? Can you burn your programs to DVD to archive for future in-home viewing? Can you access your DVR via the internet from anywhere to add, delete or record new shows? Do you get progressive scan (480p) output? What do you really get for free; assuming that it isn't a rental unit? The dual tuner is a nice feature, however.

Current Setup:
DishNetwork 811
UltraVision 65X500
HTS Premier 70 (C-band)
Samsung DSR-3800CI (DVB/FTA)
10' H-H Paraclipse
Dish500 (110/119)
Dish300 (61.5)
ReplayTV 4516 (3)
Yamaha RX-Z1
Toshiba SD-3750
54g Wireless Network

ocaddict said:
He probably has an "all-in-one" system like mine and is running Optical out from the 721 to the DVD/Stereo. Optical is super crisp and clean sound. I love it.
Maybe so. But, he said "optical from my DVD to the 721."

Also, I still don't understand what was meant by, "I am using S-Video as the tv doesn't have optical input."

That's like saying, "I used a Philips screwdriver because the bolt head wasn't metric."

I have decided today that I will send my 811 back into Dish Depot for a full refund minus the restocking fee. This unit has some really bad pq problems.

1. Sd channels from the satellite look fuzzy and out of focus compared to a 721 hooked up to the same tv.
2. Dark dvi with blacks dropping out of the picture making it look like x-rays in some scenes. Try watching The Others form Tnt in hd, it is god awful.
2. Dark Component as well. Less problems than the dvi but now noticing the same problems with blacks in the picture showing the same tendecies. Glowing x-ray quality on dark scenes.
3. The sd ouputs through s-video or rca composite also demonstrate the same thing with a stand alone tivo. Recorded a show in hd on the tivo and it had the same problem with blacks dropping out in the scenes .

This is to much money to pay to be able to watch just my ota channels , since the hd channels from Dish have pq problems that make watching the show distracting. The whole idea about hd is to receive the best picture quality available. My 721 hooked through my dvd recorder through component looks wonderful and shows none of these problems on the same tv.

Dish won't replace the unit and is telling me that ,first the dark ouput problem has been fixed. When I told her that there were like 8 pages and growing on the web boards about these problems she then said that the next software update at 268 would fix this "unknown" problem. How can you have a update for a problem that you don' t admit that exists?

I will do with out hd for a few more months till they can come up with a hd receiver that has dvr and works properly. I can still watch my ota channels through my tv itself since it has a hd tuner built in.

This receiver has been a big disappointment. :no

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)