Got SD/HD 2 Days Ago. Very dissappointed In Resolution

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

BKSinAZ

Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Got SD/HD pack 2 days ago. Seems Like Sub Standard definition To Me
trans.gif
trans.gif
I've never had SAT tv before and took the plunge 2 days ago.
Before getting DTV, I had a pair of rabbit ears on top of my 50 inch Sony SXRD Wega HD 1080p television. The local channels that I was able to receive came in clear and I was even able to get some channels that were broadcasted in HD thru those rabbit ear antennas. Those channels were just stunningly perfectly clear. I got bored of the very few locals and watching the same ole dvd's over and over again and purchased DTV.

They installed it 2 days ago. Service was professional and freindly. Installer turned it on and showed me how to use it. After he left, I was exploring the various SD and HD channels and I was extremely disappointed with the clarity/resolution of the pictures on both the SD and HD channels.
The HD channels do not have the resolution/clarity of the HD channels that I received via the rabbit ears. I remember getting channel 27.1 via the rabbit ear antennas and watching that channel was like looking out my house window. It was stunning and clear. The channels, both Standard Def and HD via DTV, seem to be not as sharp. Muddy/Soft. ALL HD channels lack high definition resolution.
Before buying DTV, I was so looking forward to watching the outdoor channel, verses I think it is called now, and that channel's resolution has got to be SUB Standard definition.
What gives? Any Advice?

This is very true. You see, satellite and cable TV must compress the signals from each channel in order to offer that many in the bandwidth they are assigned. Your antenna is going to always bring in HD better than anything. Where I live, in the Los Angeles market, the locals on DTV are worse than with rabbit ears, but not as bad as you describe.

This is very true. You see, satellite and cable TV must compress the signals from each channel in order to offer that many in the bandwidth they are assigned. Your antenna is going to always bring in HD better than anything. Where I live, in the Los Angeles market, the locals on DTV are worse than with rabbit ears, but not as bad as you describe.

hmm. I understand. I was thinking of switching to HDMI cable from the current connection of COMPONENT video. Was wondering if that might help a little bit. Have you tried both?

What receiver did you get during your installation? It is very possible that they have something setup incorrectly. I have to say that my HD channels are not as bad as you describe. Not the same as OTA but not that far off.

I have a similar tv the sony 60'' SXRD A2000 and live in the Orlando area. The mpeg-4 channels here look about the same as on OTA on some programs and better on others. Compare some of the primetime shows like CSI:NY, Miami, and Lost. Some of the better looking ones. I have HDMI with 1080i setup connected to my H20. The HD's look good on the shows that are broadcasting a solid presentation. Not all of them are doing that. Sports programs are great in HD like football, hockey, and baseball. Hope this helps and DTV is still the best out there overall. A have seen some of the cable offerings like Cox and Comcast. There SD is horrible looking and the HD is not up to par with DTV.

Another user here with great exper on DBS HD too. Not sure what you got or how its setup; maybe you are looking at a "HD channel" when its not airing any HD program at the time.

What receiver did you get during your installation? It is very possible that they have something setup incorrectly. I have to say that my HD channels are not as bad as you describe. Not the same as OTA but not that far off.

I am at work now, but will answer you when I get home to see equipment brand and model#

I have a similar tv the sony 60'' SXRD A2000 and live in the Orlando area. The mpeg-4 channels here look about the same as on OTA on some programs and better on others. Compare some of the primetime shows like CSI:NY, Miami, and Lost. Some of the better looking ones. I have HDMI with 1080i setup connected to my H20. The HD's look good on the shows that are broadcasting a solid presentation. Not all of them are doing that. Sports programs are great in HD like football, hockey, and baseball. Hope this helps and DTV is still the best out there overall. A have seen some of the cable offerings like Cox and Comcast. There SD is horrible looking and the HD is not up to par with DTV.

How do I know the difference between mpeg-4 channels and others? I thought that they install only mpeg-2 capable receivers....
Do you use HDMI or component out? Have you tried both and if so, which is best?

I am at work now, but will answer you when I get home to see equipment brand and model#

When you get home just post the info. There are some great people on this site that will be happy to help you out.

Another user here with great exper on DBS HD too. Not sure what you got or how its setup; maybe you are looking at a "HD channel" when its not airing and HD program at the time.

Thats a good question, however out of all the HD channels I looked at, one of them must have been a broadcasting a true HD program.
How do I know if it is a true HD program?

How do I know the difference between mpeg-4 channels and others? I thought that they install only mpeg-2 capable receivers....

All the Local HD and the channels that were launched this past fall are all mpeg-4. There are only a handful of mpeg-2 HD channels left.

Let's not forget the basics. Make sure your receivers are set at the right HD resolution to begin with. There are four settings, 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. If the installer left with 480i or 480p on...

Let's not forget the basics. Make sure your receivers are set at the right HD resolution to begin with. There are four settings, 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. If the installer left with 480i or 480p on...

I will recheck that, but believe I did already. That is in the setup menu from the remote control? What does the format button do? Did not seem to do anything except change from STRETCH, CROP, and something else...I forgot.

Specs

To answer everyone's questions..

My receiver is a H21-100
Settings are set to Native with 480p, 720p and 1080i enabled. It is also set to full screen. I was watching Star Trek on HBO and it actually did not look too bad.

My video connections are component, but will try HDMI if everyone thinks it will provide a better picture.

I did do a signal strength test and although I do not know what that all means, most of everything was 94 and above. There were about 4 zeros or so per line and one line showed a 44( I think line 3 of 4)

To answer everyone's questions..

My receiver is a H21-100
Settings are set to Native with 480p, 720p and 1080i enabled. It is also set to full screen. I was watching Star Trek on HBO and it actually did not look too bad.

My video connections are component, but will try HDMI if everyone thinks it will provide a better picture.

I did do a signal strength test and although I do not know what that all means, most of everything was 94 and above. There were about 4 zeros or so per line and one line showed a 44( I think line 3 of 4)

I have my receiver set not to output 480p or 480i. I let the receiver send it out at either 720p or 1080i. You should also be able to see what setting is currently active by the front of the receiver. At least on the HR20 it has 480i, 480P, 720p and 1080i lights on the front of the receiver.

Me too.

Sorry, nothing helpful here.
I just wanted to say that I just made a switch from SD only "Dish" to HD Direct.

None of the Sd channels look as good as they did on Dish and I feel the same way as you about the HD. With the old setup I was using component cable only and am now using HDMI and the composite cables. BTW, I've been switching between composite and HDMI and can't tell any difference.

I've going through some serious buyers remorse.
I'm still scanning through the forums though hoping to find that magical advice that will make it all better.
So far, no luck. That includes the advice given so far in this thread.

Seeyall

If you can't even tell the difference between composite and HDMI, something is definitely wrong with your setup.

Maybe some of the programming you were watching was not true HD, many "HD channels" show only SD content.

If you can't even tell the difference between composite and HDMI, something is definitely wrong with your setup.

Maybe some of the programming you were watching was not true HD, many "HD channels" show only SD content.

Actually, many HD channels are starting to show more and more HD content. Some good ones to try, even if you don't like the programming, are Science Channel HD, Smithsonian HD and National Geographic HD. Even on a small 19 inch screen like mine, the difference is spectacular! If you aren't seeing a WOW picture on those channels, I would run through your cables and connections again or check your eyesight. Make sure that you run an HDMI cable directly from your receiver to the TV set and not connecting the sat receiver through a DVD player/recorder or other equipment and then to the TV. A direct connection is always the best.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)