Got some answers, FWIW, at DirecTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Scott had said earlier that DirecTV was a bust, in the nutshell and I still agree with him but I did manage to corner one "engineer" who while quite confusing, gave me some info on what's coming with their new MP4 compatible DVR to replace HDTIVO which will continue to be supported as long as Mp2 is sent.

First of all it is not out yet and they don't know when.

The HD capacity is expected to be 50 hours. It is a 2 tuner design and no ATSC capability. If you want local HDTV channels you will not be able to get them on this via local signal. It will be only from DirecTV LIL and as such are treated just like any other sat channel in HD.

The DVR will support NBR and also look ahead beyond guide data to do a hunt it down when it airs and record function. He called it their version of VOD but I don't think it qualifies since all you are doing is typing in something like Starwars III and then when it finally airs on a channel you subscribe it will record it. This is not quite the same as season pass on HDTIVO since to execute season Pass, according to this guy, the first airing must be in the current guide. I'm not so sure he is accurate with that although I've not tested it with my HDTIVO.

The new DVR will require a new dish with 5? LNB's and the cost to do is free with a monthly DVR fee. However, he did say that the other receivers are that but it is still undecided whether the DVR will follow that business model or whether you will have to pay something too.

No word on new national channels. Concentrating on HD LIL for now.

The new HD PVR will not support added hard drive capacity. The DirecTV rep I spoke with was using an HDTIVO and had the dual hard drive mod himself. He said the decision to allow this was TIVO's and since the new DVR is a direcTV model, they do not want to risk suit by the content creators

That's about it. Otherwise,... what Scott said. Nothing new.

Last edited:
That's total crap if they don't have an ATSC tuner. What if your area has an HD channel that D* doesn't have an agreement with? What if you have some rain fade going on. It would be nice to switch to the OTA channel. It also will prevent people like me from getting the HD DVR before my DMA gets the HD LiL. Being in the high 40s means I'm going to be waiting a while.

No ATSC tuners would contradict everything heard up to this point including the reports out of 2006 CES from DirecTV. They also said Q2 06 at the latest.

Don Landis said:
...f you want local HDTV channels you will not be able to get them on this via local signal...

I find this hard to believe. Most stations have the capability to multicast and I am quite sure many of us would not be happy to lose this due to them not including the ability to hook up an antenna to the receiver. Here in Detroit for example, I watch NBC's multicasted Channel 4.2 to get my local weather. If this is the case, I will be highly disappointed in the upcoming HD-DVR.

Proc said:
I find this hard to believe. Most stations have the capability to multicast and I am quite sure many of us would not be happy to lose this due to them not including the ability to hook up an antenna to the receiver. Here in Detroit for example, I watch NBC's multicasted Channel 4.2 to get my local weather. If this is the case, I will be highly disappointed in the upcoming HD-DVR.
Good point Proc, I'd forgot about the multicasting. I have two different local stations that have weather on their sub channels. Also my local CBS shows out of market NCAA tournament games on their sub channels. I don't want to miss those either. If D* does this I would seriously consider E* since it appears that their HD DVR has an ATSC tuner.

I'm confused by some of the information in the article.

The device features two DirecTV inputs, two ATSC tuners, one satellite in, an HDMI input, a component input, a composite input, and a digital/coaxial out.
They say there are two Directv inputs and one satellite in. This confuses me. Also they talk about an HDMI input, a component input, and a composite input. I'm assuming the writer meant to say output for this items.

Last edited:
Proc said:
Looks like it does have the OTA capabilty then. Good work CPanther95. How 'bout them Panthers today?

Great football day. Transplant Panther fan - born & bred Steeler fan.

Very bad beer headache right now.

CPanther95 said:
Great football day. Transplant Panther fan - born & bred Steeler fan.
Very bad beer headache right now.

Go Steelers !!!
Great 2nd half, but they must start much quicker , perticularly next week, or they will be out of the game by the half.

I would like to play the Panthers this year !!!!

Jimbo

btw, if D* leave the ATSC tuner out, I bet they won't sell nearly as many units as hoped for, It would be down right stupid, especially after how well thenew H-20 works for OTA.

This is total crap.

As soon as FIOS TV is available we're switching.

It would make no sense to leave out the ATSC tuner(s) unless they felt that they were extremely cost prohibitive. They don't plan to charge extra for HD LILs and eventually they want to just include locals into any basic package (SD & HD) - so it's not like they will be trying to drive more people to purchase them.

Not only do you have the sub-channels, but they also have to provide access to all the netlets since they will be focused exclusively on the Big4 well beyond the time that the HD-DVR will be introduced.

All cleared up, so no more need to panic or claim DirecTV conspiracy.
"The device features two DirecTV inputs, two ATSC tuners, one satellite in, HDMI, component, composite, and a digital coaxial audio."

CPanther95 said:
It would make no sense to leave out the ATSC tuner(s) unless they felt that they were extremely cost prohibitive. They don't plan to charge extra for HD LILs and eventually they want to just include locals into any basic package (SD & HD) - so it's not like they will be trying to drive more people to purchase them.
Not only do you have the sub-channels, but they also have to provide access to all the netlets since they will be focused exclusively on the Big4 well beyond the time that the HD-DVR will be introduced.

It seems that Sean Mota also talked to the same engineer I did.

I can see only one reason why DirecTV would think of dropping the ATSC tuners in their DVR. It would be to force you to receive your locals via the DirecTV tuner, subscribing to locals. Besides, isn't this how cable does it in their boxes? They don't offer you the opportunity to tune channels for free. They require you to tune your locals via their subscription service with their box. I'm not saying I agree with this thinking from a consumer perspective but I do understand how this mindset exists and whjy they may feel they don't need to have the tuner.

Regardless of what it finally ends up with, I was not impressed with the concept of their DVR and service anyway. 2006 seems to give E* the superior design and programming package.

I plan to remain with D* and HDTIVO for as long as it works but may add back E* with their new 622 when their lease/upgrade becomes available in April.

Right now- no point in arguing about what reps claim is or isn't or what others say, it's a wait and see what really happens and then decide. With D*, I take what their reps say with a grain of salt and with E* I don't even trust their written specs since we all learned you can't ever take what E* says to the bank.

Don Landis said:
I can see only one reason why DirecTV would think of dropping the ATSC tuners in their DVR. It would be to force you to receive your locals via the DirecTV tuner, subscribing to locals. Besides, isn't this how cable does it in their boxes? They don't offer you the opportunity to tune channels for free. They require you to tune your locals via their subscription service with their box.

Except they aren't charging for HD locals, and they claim that all locals will be included at no charge (no separate charge anyway).

The difference with cable is that they are offering all the local channels on their system so there's no reason for anything external. D* won't be offering all local HD channels for a while.

CPanther95 said:
Except they aren't charging for HD locals, and they claim that all locals will be included at no charge (no separate charge anyway).
The difference with cable is that they are offering all the local channels on their system so there's no reason for anything external. D* won't be offering all local HD channels for a while.
Not completly accurate, Comcast doesn't carry our local UPN station which has HD content as of yet, only the SD channel.

rad said:
Not completly accurate, Comcast doesn't carry our local UPN station which has HD content as of yet, only the SD channel.

That's different than offering a box that gets UPN-HD, then replacing it a couple years down the road with a STB that can't get it.

DirecTv would save some money on the hardware costs by not having the HD tuner in the receivers as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)