Got some response to my Tech Chat questions. Interesting. Very Interesting...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

WeeJavaDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2003
SoCal
Few Questions:

811:

Q: Is there plans to offer the ability to set 1080i/720p/480p on a SD/HD
basis. Currently there is only one setting. If so, will this include a
native option also.

A: At this time the 811 supports 1080i/720p/480p using component cables (YPrPb). DVI is automatically 1080i.

Q: The "Acquring Signal" bug has been in the code based with the 60000. Has
the root cause be found and if so is there a fix on the horizon?
A:Acquiring signal can be caused by several different things. If you are referring to when you are switching from an off air channel to a satellite channel, acquiring signal in this case is normal. This happens because when you tune to an off air channel the only port on the back of the 811 is the off air input, the 'satellite in' port is basically shut off. When you tune to a satellite channel it needs to reacquire the signal and guide information before you can tune to the channel you are searching for.

Q: We have been seeing what has been termed as the "Black Screen of Death"
since the recent software update. Will this be fixed soon.

A:The black screen is estimated to be fixed with software by the end of this month. For now a simple reboot will temporarily resolve this issue. (Press and hold the power button on the front panel of the receiver for approximately 7 seconds, then release. The receiver will power off and then back on. You will see 'Attention 015' on your screen. Wait for the receiver to reboot).

921:

Q: There has been a recent drop in price for this unit. Can you elaborate the reasoning behind the drop and can you compare this unit to the upcoming 942.

A: I have no information as to why the price dropped on the 921. The 942 will have 4 tuners instead of 2.

Q: When can we expect to see the 942?
A: We do not have an estimated time of the release date of this unit.

Overall questions:

Q: When will NBR hit dish and what DVRs are targeted for this feature.
A: I have checked with several sources and cannot determine what you mean by "NBR" please define so that we can answer your question accurately.

Q: When is Dish going to come to their senses and change the VOD fee to per
account or remove it completely.

A: The DVOD fee is per receiver, this fee allows you to be able to use over 100 recording hours, as well as the rest of the DVR features. I have no knowledge of this being changed.

WeeJavaDude said:
A: I have checked with several sources and cannot determine what you mean by "NBR" please define so that we can answer your question accurately.

Way to skip around answering it, Dish! Do you think that WE think you're that stupid!? Of course they know what NBR is... they just don't want to answer that. *sigh*

I was under the impression that the 942 had three (1 OTA and 2 Satellite)tuners. The answer you were given indicates four tuners. Does anyone know how many of these tuners are OTA and how many are Satellite?

As of last month when Dish last showed the 942 it had 3 tuners (1 OTA and 2 Satellite) and from everyone who asked there at the show the answer was there was no plans to add a second OTA tuner.

Scott Greczkowski said:
As of last month when Dish last showed the 942 it had 3 tuners (1 OTA and 2 Satellite) and from everyone who asked there at the show the answer was there was no plans to add a second OTA tuner.
So it would be better named 932 then? :)

Scott Greczkowski said:

This was the answer that I thought was the most interesting. Not sure if changed their mind but thought I would through it out. Could have been a typo or a mistake. Who knows. Maybe some else should ask the same question and we can compare notes and see if it came from someone else.

WeeJavaDude said:
This was the answer that I thought was the most interesting. Not sure if changed their mind but thought I would through it out. Could have been a typo or a mistake. Who knows. Maybe some else should ask the same question and we can compare notes and see if it came from someone else.
Of course the person who answered the question had no idea what NBR was eaither. :shocked

Bizzach said:
Way to skip around answering it, Dish! Do you think that WE think you're that stupid!? Of course they know what NBR is... they just don't want to answer that. *sigh*

Actually I gave my self a "DOH!!" for that one. I should have spelled it out to make sure it was clear as day. The fact she and here fellow colleages could not find out what NBR was that kinda of makes me wonder about the other answers.

The first answer I found also a little odd and the last one is laughable. I don't know how she could type it and not gringe as one is doing it.

Has anyone actually seen the INSIDE of the 942? Unlike the satellite tuners, you could drive two OTA tuners with a single antenna input. So it may indeed have four tuners.

Yeah that's what i've been going by all along. I think it will have 2 OTA tuners, with an internal splitter. Just cause the back only has 1 input doesn't mean it only has 1 tuner.

WeeJavaDude said:
Few Questions:

WeeJavaDude, you can't assume everyone is up to speed on abbreviations/acronyms like "NBR". Spell it out in plain english next time! People ask on a dailly basis what E* and D* stand for here for comparisons sake. Your question about why the price drop on the 921 kind of confused me a bit. Its been out for almost a year now and was due for a price drop in this time frame.

Unthinkable said:
WeeJavaDude, you can't assume everyone is up to speed on abbreviations/acronyms like "NBR". Spell it out in plain english next time! People ask on a dailly basis what E* and D* stand for here for comparisons sake. Your question about why the price drop on the 921 kind of confused me a bit. Its been out for almost a year now and was due for a price drop in this time frame.

If you noticed above, I gave myself a "DOH" after I saw the reply. Typed it at work rather quickly and I forgot to spell it out. :D As for the 921 question, I kept it open on purpose to see what type of response it would get. The price drop of almost 50% is rather steep wouldn't you say?