got something weird happening when it gets a little cold

John W

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Planet Earth
At night when it drops below about 60 degrees I tend to lose all my even transponders 119 and even some of the odd ones. It happens on all recievers which you can see below in my Sig. I have checked all the connectors and they are good. using good quality rg 59 cable - just kidding its RG 6 rated for HD. I have a dish pro twin LNB and a DPP 44. During the day its fine - all transponders are over 70 and the majority are >90. Moisture has been extremley low and my DPP 44 switch is in my attic and stays at a resonable temp.

Line of site is fine - I took down a 60 ft Ficus a year ago to give me a clear view of the Southwest sky....totally clear and since I am getting good signals I am sure that it is aligned correctly. I would guess that it is probably a bad LNB but in the eight years I have been with dish I have never had one go bad.

Who is gonna fix it for me?

Any suggestions are welcome

Unfortunately I am both Kirk and Scotty and sometimes even Lt. Uhuru when I feel like donning the go go boots and mini - skirt..... but that's an entirely different story.

OOOOO drops that far down eh you must be freezing. ;)
All kidding aside it does sound like an lnb is going, thats exactly what my lnb did before it went. hth

John Walsh said:
Who is gonna fix it for me?

Any suggestions are welcome

After eight years, it is most likely a bad LNBF. They don't last forever.

An LNBF is easy to replace on your own. If you can get to the dish easily, try to do it yourself, otherwise check the yellow pages for a local sat installer to replace it for you.

The LNB is only about 3 months old but that doesn't mean it can't be bad. My previous LNB was about 6 years old and it worked fine til the end. I only replaced it because it was a legacy and I didn't want a entire cascade of switches and cabling.

Being the cheapskate I am I found a different way to deal with buying a new LNB that may work for you as well. I had one go out a few months back and decided to take it down and see about getting it replaced. When I got up there I found the LNB had two cable connections on the end of it (no idea what they call it). I figured what the hell and unplugged the one it was hooked into and hooked it to the other cable connection on the end of it. Wally wa, there it is all better and full signal. It was on my 65.5 dish that had completely lost signal. My setup is also one that only has one receiver hooked to it. That dish and LNB has worked flawlessly since. If you have a similar setup you may want to try it.

Sounds like you had some corrosion. Maybe it would've worked by plugging it back into the same port - maybe not. Sometimes just the R&R cleans the contacts. ;)

MustangLX89 said:
Being the cheapskate I am I found a different way to deal with buying a new LNB that may work for you as well. I had one go out a few months back and decided to take it down and see about getting it replaced. When I got up there I found the LNB had two cable connections on the end of it (no idea what they call it). I figured what the hell and unplugged the one it was hooked into and hooked it to the other cable connection on the end of it. Wally wa, there it is all better and full signal. It was on my 65.5 dish that had completely lost signal. My setup is also one that only has one receiver hooked to it. That dish and LNB has worked flawlessly since. If you have a similar setup you may want to try it.

That would be a quad LNB but I only have a twin. Mark at Dish Depot is taking care of me and swapping one out. He sent it next day so I should have it running correctly when I get home from work then I have to send him the defective one back. It really pays to work with a reputable dealer.

Sounds like you had some corrosion. Maybe it would've worked by plugging it back into the same port - maybe not. Sometimes just the R&R cleans the contacts.

LOL I never thought of that one. :D I guess I was just in to much of a damn hurry to get my tv going again. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts