Got treated like crap by Apple and AT&T for iphone purchase.

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Last Saturday, my wife and daughter went into the Apple Store to buy an iphone as a gift for our son-in-law who has been wanting one for a long time. Money is tight and he just couldn't afford one so we decided it would be a great gift for him with his birthday and college graduation coming up. Sounded like a good plan, but...

At my suggestion they went to the Apple store and were greeted with great enthusiasm by an Apple zealot until he found out the recipient of the iphone gift was an existing AT&T account holder. At that point the Apple salesman said they are not permitted to sell iphones direct to AT&T account holders, even though it was to be sold to my wife who was paying. He sent them to the att store down the street. My wife really really gets irritated with nonsense like this but knowing that there was nothing she could do, pissed off, went down the street to the AT&T store.

At the AT&T store she explained the situation and the salesman said that's right and proceeded to write up for a new iphone for $499.00 What happened to the $199 deal? The salesman said oh, that is for new accounts only and since the person for whom the phone was for is an existing customer, the price would be $499 or full list price. He explained that the now, existing customers can't get an iphone when upgrading from their lower cost phones. My son-in-law has AT&T's cheapest free phone and he needs a new one now since it broke. AT&T said he can't even get a replacement now until May, because he hasn't used the phone he has for the 3 year contract term which won't expire until January. Even with the phone that is broke. (It won't take calls unless plugged into a charger since the battery power system is broke.)

So, at this stage the iphone has been put on hold, indefinitely. My son-in-law and daughter are shopping for a different service, giving up the idea of becoming iphone users.

Now last summer, I stopped in the at&t store thinking I would try an iphone out for a few months for the trial period they had offered in advertising at the time. I came very close to getting one but then the at&t sales guy said the wait time was 4-6 weeks. Meanwhile at the Apple store people were walking out with them, no waiting. But they didn't have the no risk return trial offer that AT&T was advertising. So, I gave up the idea of trying one out myself.

I don't see the problem. I've been an AT&T/cingular customer for years. If I walked into the AT&T store today and asked to buy an iPhone, that's exactly what it would cost me, $499 for a 16GB model. If I was buying an iPhone as my every 2 year upgrade, it would be about $200 less than that.

New customers always get cheaper pricing and existing customers typically only get subsidized upgrade pricing once every 2 years.

The story who have been no different regardless of what phone you were trying to buy... you still would have had to pay full, unsubsidized price. In fact, I can't think of any other provider who wouldn't have done the same thing.

I like my iPhone for the most part. Nathan is right though, if he's under contract he would have to pay full price.

If he cuts his service early he will have to pay an early term fee. Would it be possible if he really wants an iPhone to add it as a second line, drop the first line to the cheapest plan, and swap out SIM cards to the new iPhone so that he could keep his number?

This is why we left Verizon after an 8-year relationship...got tired of new customers getting the good deals while long-time customers were given $50 off a phone and a free gumball. Thanks for the gumball Popeye!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMQETp7Dxyo]YouTube - Gumball Banks from mid-1970s tv commercial[/ame]

I like my iPhone for the most part. Nathan is right though, if he's under contract he would have to pay full price.

There's full price and then there's FULL price... lol.

16 GB iPhone

New Customer/2 year upgrade price: $299
Early Upgrade price: $499
No Contract Price:$699

That's one thing I'll say for AT&T... you get the same discount on your 2 year upgrade as new customers get.

Be patient. New iPhone is rumored to be coming out this summer, when the new firmware comes out. It's possible that they'll offer a price break, the way they did for the last two iterations.

Ira, that's what I heard too but then I'm not in the market for one.

I had a slightly different experience with Verizon as a corporate account even only with 3 numbers, one being a laptop EVDO card. When my wife switched jobs, her new employer required Blackberry and we selected the 8830. We got all thew discounts as does as new subscriber upgrading from a 9 month Treo. It cost her $149 after the two discounts. PLUS, when her 2 year anniversary rolled around for the Treo, they gave us a $50 credit since there was no need to do the new every two. The difference is they considered the Blackberry a lateral move of equipment and knew that if they did not give us a competitive deal, we would be forced to move to another Blackberry provider. So what this really boils down to is competition. The iphone really has no service competition like Blackberry. With the iphone, you are forced to use it with AT&T. Not that I want one myself but I do wish for all of you iphone enthusiasts, that Apple gets into a CDMA iphone or some way to offer competitive services.

Buy one on ebay. How does he have a 3 year contract? 2 is the max. If his phone is not usable he is better off buying a used one on Ebay until his contract allows upgrades.

Kevin- Not sure, he may be mistaken as in, he's been with ATT and after a year signed a 2 year contract Maybe to get the "free" phone he now has after the first one failed.

I don't see how buying on ebay would help except to get it cheaper. He would still be bound by the existing free phone contract and would be required to add the iphone as a second phone on his account. Anyway, I'm not going to pay for something like that. Remember this is to be a gift. I would rather get the new upgraded technology. I heard a rumor it will fix the short battery life, making it operate at full brightness for upto 8 hours. Also rumors that the memory will be micro SD card, but I doubt the second rumor.

He is bound by the contract not the phone. He can activate a used/ebay phone by transferring his number with no contract extension. He would have to add a data plan which is 20 for an edge and 35 for a G phone.

I think the iPhone data plan price is a joke with AT&T. I pay nearly as much as I do for our home internet service.

I have to pay it twice though as my wife has an iPhone as well. I wish they had a family data plan.

I think the iPhone data plan price is a joke with AT&T. I pay nearly as much as I do for our home internet service.

I have to pay it twice though as my wife has an iPhone as well. I wish they had a family data plan.

Why I am glad that I have the edge phone 20 nuck per month for UNL internet a 200 text. My wife with her Blackberry is 35 for the same plan. When my son wanted an I phone, the data plan was why was told no.

Why I am glad that I have the edge phone 20 nuck per month for UNL internet a 200 text. My wife with her Blackberry is 35 for the same plan. When my son wanted an I phone, the data plan was why was told no.

We were on the 200 text each plan but decided it was worth upgrading to the unlimited family text plan since we do a lot of text.

Our bill for AT&T is $170 a month for us sharing 700 minutes, two data plans, and the unlimited text plan. This is with all taxes.

We were on the 200 text each plan but decided it was worth upgrading to the unlimited family text plan since we do a lot of text.

Our bill for AT&T is $170 a month for us sharing 700 minutes, two data plans, and the unlimited text plan. This is with all taxes.

Same for me Unity/family plan w rollover - 4 phones. 3 of us have the 200 text. Mine's included but he other 2 have I pay 5 per month for. Make sure you have the unity plan if you don't. No charge for calls to and from Att land lines. It's free but you have to ask for it.

I pay $30 extra for my iPhone with unlimited usage, over the family plan rate (3 phones). I think that's a good deal. My company pays $60/month for unlimited data for a laptop. Technically 5GB, but real world it's unlimited for corporate. Never came remotely close to 5GB.

One of the many reasons I don't have an iPhone is the data plan. They get ya!

I have 3 phones here with 500 minutes each, 7pm nights, unlimited N&W, unlimited data, unlimited text, and unlimited roaming (voice/data). For about $100 a month after taxes/fees. Two of them are TouchPro's which IMHO is better than the iPhone. AT&T can't touch it ;)

One of the many reasons I don't have an iPhone is the data plan. They get ya!

I have 3 phones here with 500 minutes each, 7pm nights, unlimited N&W, unlimited data, unlimited text, and unlimited roaming (voice/data). For about $100 a month after taxes/fees. Two of them are TouchPro's which IMHO is better than the iPhone. AT&T can't touch it ;)

Who is that with? 3 Lines for $100?? What would 2 lines be?

I don't know if I should start a new thread - I don't want to hijack this one. I have a question about what to do with our cellphone plan with Verizon or to go elsewhere.

We have two phones (Razors). Mine is out of contract, dh's expires in Sept. We don't need dh's phone anymore b/c he has a cell phone through work. We're also thinking of getting rid of our landline, going to cell, and perhaps using Magic jack as a backup for international calls.

We've been with Verizon for 7 years. Always happy with the service, but as someone said upthread, it seems they give the good deals to new customers while giving long time, loyal customers the billing shaft.

Our ultimate goal is to reduce expenses. We've shared 500 minutes for years and now that we are considering having my phone be the primary number, we will need to increase the number of minutes. Adding a monkey wrench is we would have to cancel my phone altogether and I would have to switch my number to his b/c my current number is not switchable as the contract is still under his phone, not mine. Seems they're being a bit uncooperative in that one. They had no problem swapping numbers/phone when we were renewing.

Any advise on different phone plans or how to get Verizon to offer some deals to get us to stay? Can anyone advise how it has worked for them costwise to get rid of the landline and going strictly to cell?

Who is that with? 3 Lines for $100?? What would 2 lines be?

Sprint SERO plan. I was on it too and the price was great but the coverage in my area was terrible. My bill more than doubled when I went to the iPhone but the coverage is much better. I'm all for a great deal but the quality of the service just wasn't there for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)