Not open for further replies.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Not sure if posting this in the other thread would be hijacking it or not. Decided to go with a new thread.

My Magellan 4350, about a year or so old, not sure, just went toes up. I moved it from a car to a truck for a trip with guests, and it just freezes during the boot up process (with the sweep arm of the "clock" at 25 mins.). I tried rebooting various ways, running the battery down, reloading firmware & OS, nada. I get an error about finding problems in the TFAT but it never resolves them. Reloading fails just as Vermont starts. The screen looks a lot like a TV screen in 1965, tuned to channel 8, where there is no channel 8! :D

Of course, a couple of weeks ago I paid for a one year traffic update renewal. Oh well, maybe it's that soon to be discontinued MS version anyway. It was never quite up to date, but was just barely worth renewing. And I'm not sure my system was ever successfully backed up (hard to tell from the process). I'd HATE to lose all those addresses.

Anyway- for this thread. I, of course, am looking at buying another Magellan, or perhaps follow the suggestions and go with Garmin. So I'd like to review what I liked and did not like, to see how the Garmin or others compare. I'd love to know what features I'd lose, if any, by going to another brand.

-AAA points of interest. Seems to be more of them, and I'm familiar with the way it works.
-Some destinations can be "one touch" where you can more quickly select them, without scrolling thru the address book. Mine got kinda long.
-Could enter waypoints.
-Could tell it to take you to a searched destination, say Panera Bread, mid trip without losing the main trip route.
-It could display the nearest restaurant, or a listing of, say Panera Breads, in order of closet to furthest.
-It always took into account where I was, when searching for addresses or other destinations, so I did not get every Main Street in the country in some useless order.
-Detours were suggested, based on traffic, although this was awkward and didn't work very well.
-Standard USB charging port.
-Zooming in/out. Although zooming out to see the entire planet wasn't cute after the first time.
-Volume controls.
-"Preview" of trip, where you could basically "drive" thru the route at various speeds (up to well over 1,000 mph) while sitting still.
-2D/3D map views.
-Could back up my addresses (but not sure it worked).
-Could save phone #s etc with addresses.
-Could create a destination by saving current location.
-Would like to be able to scroll thru map, pick a spot and save it as destination. Not sure if the 4350 did this.
-Traffic updates, although they may not have been very up to date.

DISLIKES:
-Pronunciation of some words was REALLY bad.
-Tendency while driving on the interstate, especially, to direct you to take an exit, drive thru it to the other end, and re-enter the hwy. Dumb logic.
-Sometimes thought you were on a parallel street, not the one you were actually on.
-Seemed to sometimes recalculate route for no good reason.
-Started locking up, but this may have been my warning something was wrong.

I had no use for the hands free phone or playing AV from an SD card features.

So, Garmin & other users- What do I get by changing brands, what do I lose? Why do you prefer yours?

And Magellan users - how has your experience compared to mine?

Thank you. I should have posted in Chit Chat originally, for more visibility, over the Pub.

Oh yes- it also allows selecting fastest/shortest/etc routes.

Both Garmin and Magellan use NAVTEQ for traffic & maps, which seems to have it's problems.

Before the 1690 model, Garmin also offered MSN Direct for traffic, which will be discontinued in (2012?). The replacement Garmin uses, NuLink, has pop-up ads, which obscure the info you want.

Reading thru Amazon reviews, they all seem to need major improvement.

May be a moot point. I just discovered that since I bought it thru AAA, I have a two year, not one year, warranty. I will pursue this tomorrow. Calling today, I was disconnected. Wouldn't expect them to be open on Sunday anyway. But AAA was/is.

I have a Garmin 1690. The ads are NOT annoying at all, they pop up when stopped, and go away as soon as you start up again.

Navteq maps are BETTER than Tele-Atlas (MHO).

The current (2010.40) maps seem to be fairly close. Buying the Lifetime maps option from Garmin ($90 or so from Amazon) is a good move. Gets you new maps generally quarterly.

I also own a Garmin StreetPilot 2720.

I LIKE the garmin software. As far as I'm concerned, Garmin is the best.

Feel free to ask questions.

Any features that I listed for Magellan NOT available on Garmin? Also, isn't that 1690 kinda pricey?

Some of the preview stuff is different. The MapSource program (Windows) or RoadTrip Program (Mac) allow save/restore of routes if you don't want to do them on device.

$379.99 is the price on Amazon.

You can definitely save phone numbers etc with the Favorites.

There are also other Nuvi models that are cheaper, but they don't do the GSM based live link. The GSM live-link seems to get data faster than waiting for the FM RDS signal.

Traffic data is Navteq traffic, delivered over the GSM connection on the 1690. I also have the traffic antenna on my 2720 (ClearChannel, FM RDS).

The NavTeq traffic seems(!) more accurate here in Austin, but that's definitely city dependent.

It gets weirder.

I brought it in to work today, to have it handy when I called in for repair or replacement. Just for grins and giggles, I turned it on, driving to work.

Works fine. :confused:

Got to work, backed up user data to SD card, and now we'll see what happens. Maybe I'll try to update the OS again. Maybe.

Probably a heads up for trouble.

BTW, we call her Chatty Cathy. Anybody else name theirs?

I use the name of the voice (Karen, the Aussie voice) as the name of mine.

There are days when mine is too chatty as well (bouncing in and out of "traffic ahead").

I have a sweet spot for Aussie accents. I do like it. Glad to see I'm not the only one that likes Karen. I got bored with Jill (the American English female) early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts