Grainy / Blurry HD Picture

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bep1973

Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
So I recorded the Hi Def season premeire of Fox's "Prison Break" Monday night on my HR-20. When I watched the playback about an hour after it recorded, there were parts of the show -- usually scenes with lower light and/or close-ups -- that were REALLY grainy / blurry. I'm talking, they looked worse than my 10-year-old tube SD television.
What's crazy is, the show would cut to another scene -- maybe an establishing panoramic shot, or one with more light in it -- and it would look totally Hi-Def... Perfect.
What gives? Am I doing something wrong?
I have a 40" Sony Bravia with HDMI, with the "native" feature set to "on", so as to make sure I am showing it in the right native resolution (720p in the case of Fox HD.)
I thought it might have just been the show itself, but then I watched an episode of HBO HD's "Tell Me You Love Me", and the exact same thing went on (i.e. occasionally blurry in low-light scenes, etc.)
It is especially noticeable in the black / dark spaces in the forground or background -- the people themselves tend to be in focus.
If you ever watched Michael Mann's movie "Collateral" with Tom Cruise, you probably noticed how blurry the night outdoor scenes were -- that's basically what it looked like.
Do I need to turn the native off? I would think watching it in whatever signal it was coming in at would be optimal? Or, is it maybe one of the picture settings on the Tv I need to adjust? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

So I recorded the Hi Def season premeire of Fox's "Prison Break" Monday night on my HR-20. When I watched the playback about an hour after it recorded, there were parts of the show -- usually scenes with lower light and/or close-ups -- that were REALLY grainy / blurry. I'm talking, they looked worse than my 10-year-old tube SD television.
What's crazy is, the show would cut to another scene -- maybe an establishing panoramic shot, or one with more light in it -- and it would look totally Hi-Def... Perfect.
What gives? Am I doing something wrong?
I have a 40" Sony Bravia with HDMI, with the "native" feature set to "on", so as to make sure I am showing it in the right native resolution (720p in the case of Fox HD.)
I thought it might have just been the show itself, but then I watched an episode of HBO HD's "Tell Me You Love Me", and the exact same thing went on (i.e. occasionally blurry in low-light scenes, etc.)
It is especially noticeable in the black / dark spaces in the forground or background -- the people themselves tend to be in focus.
If you ever watched Michael Mann's movie "Collateral" with Tom Cruise, you probably noticed how blurry the night outdoor scenes were -- that's basically what it looked like.
Do I need to turn the native off? I would think watching it in whatever signal it was coming in at would be optimal? Or, is it maybe one of the picture settings on the Tv I need to adjust? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Don't worry, it's not your set, it's the signal itself.
You diagnosed it yourself, low light areas look bad and well lit look great !
It all depend on what type of signal was originally sent out, if it's not a high enough quality, you will have these problems.

Jimbo
Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)