Grainy HD picture on 1000.2 at 129W and 110W

jeffero

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
Akron, Ohio
I have a brand new system from dish network with a new 612 DVR new 1000.2 picking up the 3 satellites and my HD picture quality is horrible. It's to the point that I'm about stop the service. I had the area field manager out here to check everything over and the signal is strong as it can be. What do you all think could be causing the picture in HD channels to look bad? The TV is not the problem because I have a Blu-Ray and it looks great. We have swapped cables so that's also not a problem. Is anyone else on the 129 and 110 satellites experiencing a lousy picture on their tv? Any help is appreciated thank you. The field manager did say that there are known issues with the 612 DVR and maybe a 722 would clear it up.

The 612 has an OTA input, doesn't it? Hook a set of rabbit ears to it, and compare OTA HD to the Sat feeds. If OTA looks like crap, too, it's the receiver or your settings on the receiver.

I assume that if the Field Manager was out, he probably ran through your HD output settings to make sure that the box was putting out 720p or 1080i.

What kind of TV are we talking about, anyway?

Pretty sure the receiver is set to 480 output. This happened to my father-in-law last January. Not meaning to stir up the hornet's nest, but why don't the installers make sure the customer is viewing HD before they leave? Or is it because of lack of cables provided by Dish? Although my father-in-law had the HDMI cable and it was still left in 480 mode.

Pretty sure the receiver is set to 480 output. This happened to my father-in-law last January. Not meaning to stir up the hornet's nest, but why don't the installers make sure the customer is viewing HD before they leave? Or is it because of lack of cables provided by Dish? Although my father-in-law had the HDMI cable and it was still left in 480 mode.

My installer did, when he came out. I think they are suppose to, but maybe they forget. I would think that 1080i should be the default, and NOT 480, or your receiver should tell if your using HDMI.

It's set for 1080i. I had to mention that to the tech. I was at my mom's place today and she has Warner cable with their standard HD cable box which is pretty nice for a cable box but I noticed their HD signal isn't that sharp either. I may just let it go because I am getting a good deal from Dish Network. If it gets too bad though I'll call Dish again. The 612 box I have now is new. It was swapped from an old one that I had and I did notice this one runs a lot quieter than the old one which was over a year old so at least something good came from the complaints over the picture quality.

My installer did, when he came out. I think they are suppose to, but maybe they forget. I would think that 1080i should be the default, and NOT 480, or your receiver should tell if your using HDMI.
With HDMI it has the capability of detecting the TV's supported resolutions so I'm surprised Dish hasn't created a "auto resolution" feature where it sets the receiver to match the highest definition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts