Grandad Needs HD on the Cheap

CowboyDren

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
I know this has been covered before, in threads 13-pages-plus, but...

My parents have Comcast analog cable, for which they pay about $20 per month. Comcast is slowly but surely dropping channels from the analog tiers, which is no great loss, considering the signal quality they're getting at their house. One of the two TVs in the house is a High-Def LCD, and it looks like crap for all of those reasons.

They have a normal phone line and a 768k broadband Internet connection through AT&T, so connectivity isn't a problem. I've pointed out that a TiVo HD for $13 per month and Netflix for $17 per month will cover a lot of their TV "needs," but Mom and Dad both want linear programming from the likes of Discovery, HGTV, and maybe some channels like TCM and AMC.

Dad seems to like my 722, but he's not sure that the DVR is necessary yet. I think he'd be happy enough with a 222K ($230+35 for OTA module), but he doesn't want his TV bill to nearly triple with Bronze+HD. Buying the gear doesn't bother him as much as a contract does.

What's the cheapest way to get rid of Comcast and have HD programming to watch? What would you do if you were starting from scratch?

I know this has been covered before, in threads 13-pages-plus, but...

My parents have Comcast analog cable, for which they pay about $20 per month. Comcast is slowly but surely dropping channels from the analog tiers, which is no great loss, considering the signal quality they're getting at their house. One of the two TVs in the house is a High-Def LCD, and it looks like crap for all of those reasons.

They have a normal phone line and a 768k broadband Internet connection through AT&T, so connectivity isn't a problem. I've pointed out that a TiVo HD for $13 per month and Netflix for $17 per month will cover a lot of their TV "needs," but Mom and Dad both want linear programming from the likes of Discovery, HGTV, and maybe some channels like TCM and AMC.

Dad seems to like my 722, but he's not sure that the DVR is necessary yet. I think he'd be happy enough with a 222K ($230+35 for OTA module), but he doesn't want his TV bill to nearly triple with Bronze+HD. Buying the gear doesn't bother him as much as a contract does.

What's the cheapest way to get rid of Comcast and have HD programming to watch? What would you do if you were starting from scratch?

Looks like nobody has any really good deals going on right now(checked both websites).I believe the best time to change is when you get a really good deal,so you can try a more expensive package cheaper to see if you like it.(I did).So until there is a really good deal I would advise them to wait.;)

set them up with a slingbox from one of your receivers. you could even get an extra receiver just for that purpose. then all they would have to pay is the extra monthly for you and what ever the cost of the slingbox is.

That's interesting, but I don't have internet access from my home (can't Sling out), and even if I could, their 768k bottleneck would make the video look worse than the analog cable does (clearly not HD).

They're not exactly cutting edge, but my house is strictly stone-age. :)

Depending on where they live they can order Dish and get HD receivers even if all they order is the cheapest package. All eastern arc markets are setup for Mpeg4 HD receivers only. They will get local channels in HD if they are availible in the area, and using the HDMI input will get them the best picture they could get without subscribing to HD.

Other than that set them up OTA as that is the only way to get HD free. Getting channels like Discovery, HGTV, TCM and AMC is going to require subscription to something more than $20/month.

I did say cheap, not free. Has anyone ever added HD to the Welcome Pack?

On my Welcome Pack account on my owned 622, the locals are in HD, and Bravo(129), VS.(151), and NBATV(402) networks are in HD. The HD Test Channel(5710) is currently showing HD Theater. E* formerly charged an additional HD fee for the locals, but dropped the HD fee a few months ago. None of the other Welcome Pack networks are in HD, and you cannot pay an additinal fee to receive them in HD within the Welcome Pack.

I think he'd be happy enough with a 222K ($230+35 for OTA module), but he doesn't want his TV bill to nearly triple with Bronze+HD.
This is a false savings. If they can't get the channels they want, there's not much value in the $20 they are spending. Bronze with HD is $50/month with HD for a ViP222.

Comcast's starter digital package (their cheapest alternative with Comcast) with HD is $64.48/month+taxes and fees. You would really have to be into VOD to step up for that package at that price. For less money, they could be getting Classic Silver with HD.

On my Welcome Pack account on my owned 622, the locals are in HD, and Bravo(129), VS.(151), and NBATV(402) networks are in HD. The HD Test Channel(5710) is currently showing HD Theater. E* formerly charged an additional HD fee for the locals, but dropped the HD fee a few months ago. None of the other Welcome Pack networks are in HD, and you cannot pay an additinal fee to receive them in HD within the Welcome Pack.

Forgot to mention, I think you can still get TurboHD Bronze package for $29.99/mo, though it's no longer available on E* website. Per other posters, it will be gone as of Feb 2010, but may be grandfathered in for current subs.

This is a false savings. If they can't get the channels they want, there's not much value in the $20 they are spending. Bronze with HD is $50/month with HD for a ViP222.

"Savings" isn't a word that plays into this conversation. The cost of Comcast Digital Starter is what started this conversation in the first place, and costing three times as much as he's paying for pretty much the same content. He's no tightwad, but he will not spend $2 per day to watch TV. $1, sure, $1.50 (Bronze only), maybe, but not $2.

Forgot to mention, I think you can still get TurboHD Bronze package for $29.99/mo, though it's no longer available on E* website. Per other posters, it will be gone as of Feb 2010, but may be grandfathered in for current subs.

May be worth trying to talk him into. I'm not sure Comcast has him that angry yet. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)