Gray Broadcasting sells some stations

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Gray Broadcasting made some changes today in 4 markets by selling some stations and donating one

Wausau-Rhinelander, Wis. (DMA 134): Gray entered into an agreement with Davis Television LLC, to acquire certain non-license assets of WFXS, which had served as the market’s Fox affiliate. Earlier today, WFXS ceased operating. At that time, the parties closed the transaction, and Gray began broadcasting the program streams formerly transmitted by WFXS on Gray's digital low-power WZAW in Wausau. Gray also owns and operates full-power WSAW in Wausau, which serves as the market's CBS affiliate. Kalil & Co. was the exclusive broker for this transaction.

Laredo, Texas (DMA 184). Gray entered into an agreement with Eagle Creek Television to purchase certain non-license assets of KVTV, which had served as the market’s CBS affiliate. Earlier today, KVTV ceased operating. At that time, the parties closed the transaction, and Gray began broadcasting the program streams formerly transmitted by KVTV on Gray's digital low-power KYLX. Gray also owns and operates full-power KGNS in Laredo, which serves as the market's NBC affiliate.

Great Falls and Helena, Mont. (DMAs 191 and 206).
Gray entered into an agreement with Cordillera Communications, to sell Gray's KBGF, the NBC affiliate in Great Falls, and KTVH, the NBC and CW affiliate in Helena. Gray said it “believes that Cordillera, as the owner of top-rated stations across the state of Montana, will leverage its strong presence throughout ‘Big Sky Country’ to further improve the service and operations of KBGF and KTVH for the benefit of those stations' local communities.”

Helena, Mont. (DMA 206).
Gray owns KMTF in Helena, which simulcasts the CW channel broadcast by KTVH-D2. At the suggestion of Cordillera, Gray has agreed to donate KMTF to Montana State University. This donation will allow MSU to operate a full-power PBS station in the state's capital for the first time in the history of the statewide PBS network that MSU operates.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
Folks in Wausau are pissed as Fox went from a full power station to a low powered one...which cut out folks

Helena is interesting as in most of the markets in Montana CBS had CW as a subchannel (Cordillera owns most CBS stations in the market). Helena was the exception as its on NBC and on its own freestanding station which Gray just donated to MSU for PBS (PBS is on a translator)

Reactions: jamesjimcie
some more info on the Wausau situation.....courtesy of northpine

Gray TV has taken over the FOX affiliation in the Wausau market, buying the programming and other non-license assets of WFXS/55.1 (Wittenberg-Wausau) to operate alongside existing CBS affiliate WSAW/7 (Wausau).

WFXS went silent on July 1 and its entire lineup, including FOX programming and the Me-TV and Movies! subchannels, moved Gray's recently-acquired low-power station WZAW-LD (Wausau), which is using WFXS' former virtual 55.1 to 55.3 channels. WFXS owner Davis Televison indicated in an FCC filing that it plans to return the WFXS license after selling the non-license assets to Gray. The purchase price was not disclosed in a press release announcing the deal.

Gray could not buy WFXS' license because ownership caps prohibit one company from owning more than one of the top four full-power TV stations in a market. However, LPTV stations are not covered by ownership rules.

The assets sold include the WFXS transmitter, which had broadcast with 685kW as WFXS but is now being used by WZAW-LD at reduced power of 15kW, the maximum allowed for low-power TV stations, according to a request for special temporary authority approved by the FCC. The LPTV station had originally been permitted to transmit on channel 33, but Gray told the FCC that it needed to use channel 31 because it couldn't secure a channel 33 transmitter in time for its desired July 1 airdate.

Since WZAW-LD is transmitting on WFXS' former RF channel and remapping to its former PSIP channels, some viewers in the immediate Wausau area may not notice the change. However, the LPTV signal can't reach outlying areas of the market such as Rhinelander and Marshfield, and some viewers have already taken to the station's Facebook page to complain.

WFXS had signed on in 1999 as part of a wave of station startups that completed FOX coverage of small markets. It had carried a 9 p.m. newscast produced by Quincy ABC affiliate WAOW/9 (Wausau), and WSAW says it'll launch its own 9 p.m. newscast on WZAW-LD this fall.

Gray TV has been acquiring multiple big-four network affiliations in many markets, including Lincoln, Fargo, and Bismarck. Its recent purchase of LPTV stations in Sioux Falls and Rapid City may indicate a desire to create similar setups in those markets

from the new Fox Wausau facebook site

On July 1, Gray Television began broadcasting WZAW, Fox 55 in Wausau. WZAW is a low power television station. Some television homes outside of Marathon County will currently not be able to receive WZAW over-the air. WZAW is available through DirecTV, Dish Network, and many cable providers including Charter and Solarus. WZAW is actively working with other cable companies to help them receive it. WZAW is also working on plans to expand its over-the-air coverage. Those plans are expected to occur over a 90 day period. Getting the WZAW signal to as many homes as possible in north central Wisconsin is a top priority for Gray Television.

Viewers who are not able to receive WZAW are invited to get there local news updates on WSAW Newschannel 7 and at wsaw.com. More information on WZAW and it coverage area is also available on WSAW.com.

My .03. They'll put Fox as a HD subchannel on WSAW and move My to 7-3 (right now My is on 7-2 and H&I is on 7-3).

well they fixed the mistake......and people are now bitching two different ways

Gray TV CBS affiliate WSAW/7 (Wausau) has added FOX on channel 7.3, simulcasting low-power "FOX 55" (WZAW-LD/55.1 Wausau). Gray launched WZAW-LD at the beginning of the month to assume the programming and channel position of WFXS-DT/55.1 (Wittenberg), which went silent after Gray bought the rights to its programming. (FCC ownership caps prohibited Gray from buying WFXS outright, but LPTV stations are not subject to ownership caps.) Many viewers had complained that they could no longer receive FOX after 55.1 downgraded to 15kW, the maximum allowed for LPTV stations. FOX replaces Heores & Icons TV on channel 7.3; WSAW continues to carry MyNetworkTV and other syndicated programming on 7.2, while WZAW-LD also carries Me-TV on 55.2 and Movies! on 55.3.

Now you have the people who like H&I bitching because its gone
And you have the people who get FOX now on 7-3 bitching because its not HD

well they fixed the mistake......and people are now bitching two different ways

Gray TV CBS affiliate WSAW/7 (Wausau) has added FOX on channel 7.3, simulcasting low-power "FOX 55" (WZAW-LD/55.1 Wausau). Gray launched WZAW-LD at the beginning of the month to assume the programming and channel position of WFXS-DT/55.1 (Wittenberg), which went silent after Gray bought the rights to its programming. (FCC ownership caps prohibited Gray from buying WFXS outright, but LPTV stations are not subject to ownership caps.) Many viewers had complained that they could no longer receive FOX after 55.1 downgraded to 15kW, the maximum allowed for LPTV stations. FOX replaces Heores & Icons TV on channel 7.3; WSAW continues to carry MyNetworkTV and other syndicated programming on 7.2, while WZAW-LD also carries Me-TV on 55.2 and Movies! on 55.3.

Now you have the people who like H&I bitching because its gone
And you have the people who get FOX now on 7-3 bitching because its not HD
I can understand bitching about the first part, the second part nah. They need to beg 55 to put Heroes on.....

Its not that easy. There is already a HD and 2 SD stations on 55. Plus Gray would need a new encoder to add the -4 if they so desire

First thing they need to do is make FOX on 7-3 HD. Packer games are on there and contrary to what folks on facebook complain about dropping H&I, Packer Games are more important to WSAW than H&I is ;)

Its not that easy. There is already a HD and 2 SD stations on 55. Plus Gray would need a new encoder to add the -4 if they so desire

First thing they need to do is make FOX on 7-3 HD. Packer games are on there and contrary to what folks on facebook complain about dropping H&I, Packer Games are more important to WSAW than H&I is ;)
55 and 7.3 are both the same channel. WOW. Yeah Packer games are more important to the Wisconsin faithful. Living in a small market with stations owned by Media Giants that are compared to no name brand food products oh well. Hopefully in the years to come they get their H&I back. But if views rather the H&I than the fox on 7.3 that says alot.

55 and 7.3 are both the same channel. WOW.
yes. 55-1 and 7-3 are both FOX. Just like 46-1 and 15-2 are NBC in your area. Difference is right now 55-1 is in HD and 7-3 is not ;)
But I'm sure Gray will get that remedied soon :)

Yeah Packer games are more important to the Wisconsin faithful.
yup pretty much. When their pre-season scrimmage (they call it family night) is televised state wide (and on the FOX in Duluth, MN) that says something. Packer fans are crazy.

Living in a small market with stations owned by Media Giants that are compared to no name brand food products oh well. Hopefully in the years to come they get their H&I back. But if views rather the H&I than the fox on 7.3 that says alot.

Fox is the cash cow for Gray right now. Yeah a few folks will be mad because H&I is gone but the fact folks outside of the immediate Wausau area can now see FOX again (even though right now its in SD) is more important to Gray. I'm sure H&I will make a comeback

a belated update

Helena, Mont. (DMA 206). Gray owns KMTF in Helena, which simulcasts the CW channel broadcast by KTVH-D2. At the suggestion of Cordillera, Gray has agreed to donate KMTF to Montana State University. This donation will allow MSU to operate a full-power PBS station in the state's capital for the first time in the history of the statewide PBS network that MSU operates.

MSU signed on the "new" KUHM on 9/1 on RF29 PSIP 10. They still have the translator (49) there too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts