Great 119 signal, no 110

Sponge14

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Most people come on here because they can't pick up sat 129. My problem seems to be pretty different. I get a great signal on sat 119, about 45 on the new sat meter. I can't get a signal on 110. 129 is okay, about 25 on the new meter.

I know the location of 119 and 110 are almost on top of eachother. How is this situation possible??? I have had to aim and re-aim my dish a bunch, and I think it might have something to do with the trees coming into season and growing leaves. But seeing how 110 and 119 are almost on top of eachother, how can I get such a good 119 but no 110?

I lost 110 with a tree blocking the signal 119 was fine , this is with a dish 500

I tried to install 500 yesterday and I am too getting good signal and quality on 119 but nothing on 110. If someone can please give some pointers I would appreciate.

Are you sure your SKEW is set correctly on your Dish 500?

Most people get the ELEVATION AND DIRECTION right, but not the SKEW, which causes 1 satellite to come in great, and nothing on the other.

Also it is possible to have the Dish pointed to 119, 128, 138. 129 would be weak but you could see it since only off by a degree. You might have to turn the dish 9 degrees east.

I will check to see if maybe its too far east. It was real windy the other day so maybe it got knocked to the east. Where can i find the skew setting I need? I have a dish 1000

So I am at home now, and I have been messing with the dish. I get sat 110 to come in but only on transponder 13, sometimes a pretty good signal too (32 on the new meter.) From what I can see, spotbeam 13 is for KS,MN,IA,OH,NE. If I choose spotbeam 17 which is what SCIFI HD and USA HD are on, I get no signal strength at all.

I am in Oklahoma, so I am not far from that #20 spotbeam. To me, this makes me think the dish got knocked up too high and to the east? I don't want to mess the dish up tonight because I have some shows that I do not want to miss. Does anyone have more help with this new info?

You don't have the dish pointed right. What does your check switch show?

Also 110 and 119 are 9 degrees apart. They are not right on top of each other. It is very easy to have a tree block just one.

I'm betting on mike123abc's guess. Turn the dish East somewhat and see how it goes. You'll probably also need to bump the elevation a bit.

I'm betting on mike123abc's guess. Turn the dish East somewhat and see how it goes. You'll probably also need to bump the elevation a bit.

Ill try that. Right now I get 119 and 129 great, 110 is still almost nothing. This wasnt always the way it was, I used to get a great 119 and 110. I did move it a bit to the east before, but still nothing on most transponders. If I was picking up one transponder on 110, why would I not get them all??

I did move my dish about 20 ft south of where it used to be, this was to pick up 129. I had all 3 sats coming in great for a while even in the new position. Maybe I should put my old dish 500 back up in the old place where I got 119 and 110 great, and put my dish 1000 to pick up 129 only, leaving it in the place it is? This is starting to piss me off, I didnt realize how many channels there were on 110 that I actually watched. I was all psyched for Scifi HD and now I cant get it now that it's available.

If I was looking from behind my dish to where it's pointing in the sky, where is 110 located from 119? Like is it down and left, up and left, etc.? I have tried to figure this out from the sat list on the site but I dont understand all the terms that are used when talking about sats.

Can't tell you where the satellites are relative to where you live without knowing where you live. Go to dishpointer.com and enter in your address. Choose each satellite in turn and record the azimuth and elevation values. Lesser azimuth values are the more easterly ones.

Ill try that. Right now I get 119 and 129 great, 110 is still almost nothing. This wasnt always the way it was, I used to get a great 119 and 110. I did move it a bit to the east before, but still nothing on most transponders. If I was picking up one transponder on 110, why would I not get them all??

I did move my dish about 20 ft south of where it used to be, this was to pick up 129. I had all 3 sats coming in great for a while even in the new position. Maybe I should put my old dish 500 back up in the old place where I got 119 and 110 great, and put my dish 1000 to pick up 129 only, leaving it in the place it is? This is starting to piss me off, I didnt realize how many channels there were on 110 that I actually watched. I was all psyched for Scifi HD and now I cant get it now that it's available.

If I was looking from behind my dish to where it's pointing in the sky, where is 110 located from 119? Like is it down and left, up and left, etc.? I have tried to figure this out from the sat list on the site but I dont understand all the terms that are used when talking about sats.

Sounds to me like you have the wrong lnbs on your dish500 seeing the satellite. In other words, your 110 lnb, is seeing the 119 sat, so you'll never get the 110 sat. From behind the dish, 110 would be higher, and to the LEFT of 119. Cover the end of the 110 lnb with aluminum foil. Set your skew and elevation for Dish 500 for your location. Slowly turn the dish on the pole, until 119 sat pops in. Tweak it for a strong signal. Tighten it down, but not too tight yet. Uncover the 110 lnb, and see if that now pops in! Now, tighten the screws down all around. After you are done, use a felt marker, and place tick marks on the pole and dish to mark your settings for future reference.

That's right. They look like my avatar or like this:

What does a dish "see"?- Picture Examples

Okay I looked at the picture from St louis, which is pretty close to me in Durant OK 74701. 110 is up and left, the tree I was worrying about would be blocking 119, if anything, but I get a great 119 signal.

Primestar: I am using only the Dish 1000 with the 3 lnbs right now. The dish 500 and it's lnb are sitting in my living room. 119 is getting a great signal, almost 55 on the new meter (which someone said is like 95 on the old meter) 129 is close to some trees, so it comes in at about 30. 110 is dead though, except for certain spotbeams one of which was the KS locals spotbeam. Maybe I got a bad lnb??? I am pretty sure I am aimed good if I am getting 129 and 119 so strong, but I could be wrong?

thanks alot to everyone trying to help me out, I appreciate it since I cant get dish out to my house to fix this.

Okay I looked at the picture from St louis, which is pretty close to me in Durant OK 74701. 110 is up and left, the tree I was worrying about would be blocking 119, if anything, but I get a great 119 signal.

Primestar: I am using only the Dish 1000 with the 3 lnbs right now. The dish 500 and it's lnb are sitting in my living room. 119 is getting a great signal, almost 55 on the new meter (which someone said is like 95 on the old meter) 129 is close to some trees, so it comes in at about 30. 110 is dead though, except for certain spotbeams one of which was the KS locals spotbeam. Maybe I got a bad lnb??? I am pretty sure I am aimed good if I am getting 129 and 119 so strong, but I could be wrong?

thanks alot to everyone trying to help me out, I appreciate it since I cant get dish out to my house to fix this.

What I said still applies to a Dish 1000. You probably are receiving 119 sat on the wrong LNB, which will screw up everything else. Make sure your lnbs are receiving the signal from the proper sat you want. In other words, your dish isn't aimed/skew properly. Also, yes, you could have a bad lnb. Far more likely though is wrong sat + signal bouncing to the wrong lnb. Very common issue with self installs. Check this guide:

http://sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Dishnetwork/Dishes/DISH_1000_Installation_Guide.pdf

See how the CENTER lnb is for 119, the left upper one (if looking at the dish while standing in back of it) is for 129, and the lower right one is for 110 sat? That's how it should be set up and skewed. If not, you'll only pick up 2 sats at most like you are now. TRy the aluminum foil trick, and cover the 129 and 110 lnbs, and sight in on 119 with the 119 lnb!

Last edited:
What I said still applies to a Dish 1000. You probably are receiving 119 sat on the wrong LNB, which will screw up everything else. Make sure your lnbs are receiving the signal from the proper sat you want. In other words, your dish isn't aimed/skew properly. Also, yes, you could have a bad lnb. Far more likely though is wrong sat + signal bouncing to the wrong lnb. Very common issue with self installs. Check this guide:

http://sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Dishnetwork/Dishes/DISH_1000_Installation_Guide.pdf

See how the CENTER lnb is for 119, the left upper one (if looking at the dish while standing in back of it) is for 129, and the lower right one is for 110 sat? That's how it should be set up and skewed. If not, you'll only pick up 2 sats at most like you are now. TRy the aluminum foil trick, and cover the 129 and 110 lnbs, and sight in on 119 with the 119 lnb!

Ahhh I understand now what you were saying, i will do this when I get home tonight to see which lnb is picking up the 119 signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts