Great Places to eat.

HCI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
land of the ice and snow
I was going to post this in the regular chit chat but I see we have a new forum. :hungry:

I am staying in Mountain View AR tonight and ate at Tommy's Famous A Pizzeria. Maybe the smallest pizza joint I have ever seen but they make a great pie. I had a 16" pepperoni, fresh mushroom, and tomato. Price was 22 dollars for it which is a little high, but it beats having a sonic burger. The guy that owned the place looked like a stoner but that probably helps. :D

OK People will probably never travel to these places but I would give my right arm to get to go to either of them and have the fried clams, lobster chowder, and/or lobster roll. No other places make the fried clams the way these places do. I think some people refer to them as whole belly clams.

Chicken Coop Restaurant in Mexico, Maine
ChickADee Restaurant in Turner, Maine

Does anybody know if Valentino's in Lincoln, Nebraska is still there and still as good as it used to be? The last time I ate there was 1980, believe it or not. The pizza was to die for, far better than any pizza I have eaten before or since.

Living in southern California I have a wide variety of Mexican restaurants to pick from. My favorite is Mijares' in Pasadena. The food is excellent but the real reason to go there is their Margaritas. They don't fiddle around. You get a strong drink made with lots of premium tequila. The service is variable---they have two or three great waiters and six or seven mediocre ones.

Last edited:
when I head from Minneapolis to Duluth, MN I usually stop in Superior at one of two places

Anchor Bar
ANCHOR BAR

great food
cheap prices
sh!tty (funny) service...you come for the food, NOT the service. As noted in an article "The place is also just plain a cool place to hang for the rest of us as well and even though you might not feel welcome (it is a truly rough place, I once saw the bar mistress punch a customer in the nose then turn to me with the nicest smile and ask what the HELL I wanted) it is a mainstay around here." When I lived in Duluth I use to take folks there for a good laugh. Love sitting on the barbers chairs (yep there is a table where there are 3 barbers chairs). We'd pump them up and lower them until the "waitress" would hollar (usually a good 25 feet way) "will you quit f'ing with those chairs dammit!" :D
good (and funny) article
The Drunken Compendium: Gettin? Ripped at the Anchor Bar

Other place is Gronks
GronksGrill.com - Welcome

Caveman food
Caveman prices

They had a wall of fame for the mighty mammoth burger. 1 pound burger and toppings. Eat it all and ya get your pic on the wall...by the way I stopped at 6 pictures :D
now that I looked at the menu, they have a NEW one

The "Enger Tower Burger" This monster is just not right. Six of our famous burger patties with American Cheese between each layer of meat, served with home cut fries and slaw. EAT IT ALL IN 2 HOURS AND GET THE ENGER TOWER T-SHIRT FREE. Six stories of beef and 5 LBS of fun.

WARNING from our Sturgeon General: This burger is not for the weak at heart.
$20.25
DAMN!!
engerburger.jpg

might have to make a trip back up there soon ;)

Speaking of "Anchor Bar", this is actually the name of a place in Buffalo that takes credit for serving the first Buffalo Wings! I have family in Syracuse and I try and stop at this place along the way whenever I visit. Sabres, surely you've been here right? The wings are awesome.

Anchor Bar

The wife has talked about the Anchor Bar, since she's from Buffalo. We're planning a trip to Cedar Point next year and will be stopping in Buffalo to visit relatives. I'll have to check this place out. Not sure if it's still there, but the Owl Bar and Grill in NM had the best green chili cheeseburgers around. Can't remember exactly where it was. Somewhere between Socorro and White Sands.

When I travel, a few places I can think of:

Boston, Mass: The Union Oyster House.
Union Oyster House, Boston, MA?Seafood and History at America's Oldest Restaurant
One of my all-time favorites. History and fine dining all rolled into one...its the oldest continuously running restuarant in the US...

Bentonville, Arkansas:
Shogun Japanese Steak and Sushi.
Many folks wind up in this town at some point in their careers if they travel. That That restuarant is a gem for the business traveler. Also, if you'd like to avoid some of the 'restaurant row' franchises in that area, you can find some good BBQ and fried catfish on the outskirts of town. You may need to ask a friendly local for some tips on that one... :)

House of Seafood, Poipu, HI (Kauai)
I swear, whatever they pull out of the ocean that morning is whats on your plate that night! Wow that was good...went there twice while I was there.

Maders in Milwaukee, WI
Mader's Authentic German Restaurant, Beer Steins, and Hummels
I believe this may be the oldest traditional German restaurant in the country at 106 years, but i could be wrong. Its like a museum in there with antique beer stiens, suits of armor, etc. The good is great. I highly recommend the sundsy brunch in that you can sample almost everything on the menu and its not to expensive. (dinner can get pricy)

Aureole in Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas, NV
Aureole Restaurant - Las Vegas - Home
Thats the place with the 5 story wine tower and the women who go up and down on the cables to get the wine. Its very good, and VERY expensive. But its worth it just for the experience and the food in incredible...

Carnegie Deli, NYC
Welcome to Carnegie Deli
I think I had a pastrami sandwich there that was as big as my head! Its cool, quick, and good...whenever I'm in NYC I try to stop there for breakfast or an early lunch before leaving midtown manhattan and heading to the airport.

Kenosha, WI is home to the world famous Brat Stop... Welcome to the BratStop

Romeoville, IL has White Fence Farm...
White Fence Farm
Chicken is to die for and great place to bring kids...

Chicago, IL...the Goose Island Brew Pub...one of my favorites locally. But they are closing the doors to the original location at the end of this year. The one in Wrigleyville isn't to bad, but not the same.

I've got a few others...off the top of my head, these would have to be my favorites...

The wife has talked about the Anchor Bar, since she's from Buffalo. We're planning a trip to Cedar Point next year and will be stopping in Buffalo to visit relatives. I'll have to check this place out. Not sure if it's still there, but the Owl Bar and Grill in NM had the best green chili cheeseburgers around. Can't remember exactly where it was. Somewhere between Socorro and White Sands.

Owl Bar and Grill is in San Antonio, NM, about 10 miles south of Socorro.