Great sports fan traditions in professional sports

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
While watching the opening of the soccer match yesterday between Celtic and Manchester United at Celtic Park in Glasgow, ESPN was smart enough to show the part, in between the anthem and the start of the game, where the entire crowd (80,000 strong) stands as one and sings 'You'll Never Walk Alone'. Oh my goodness it gives me chills every time I hear it. Everyone is holding their green and white scarfs over their head and singing together. The announcers were smart enough for the most part to stop talking and let us see and hear everyone singing. It was amazing.

So I'm trying to think of what in North American professional sports can compare to that. College sports has traditions like that (dotting of the I, etc.), but that's a little different since tradition is a big part of the college fabric. Perhaps there should be another thread to celebrate that.

But professional sports are different, changes of ownership, arenas, stadiums, and even teams themselves on occasion seem to mitigate against fan traditions to some extent.

The first thing that comes to mind for me (and the most direct comparison) is when the entire Edmonton crowd sang BOTH the American and Canadian national anthems in the Stanley Cup finals a couple of years ago. The singer, sang a little bit and then held the microphone up. That was amazing too, but I'm not sure if it can be called a tradition. Do they do it at every home game? Every home playoff game? Or just in the finals?

At Yankee home games the bleachers do the roll call in the top of the first, with the players actually acknowledging the crowd in between pitches when they hear their name chanted. This happens every game.

At Ranger home playoff games the crowd is so loud during the national anthem you cannot hear yourself think. The only reason you know John Amirante is still singing is you can see the words to the anthem on the scoreboard. I used to scream into my brother's ear when I was a little girl just to see if he could hear me.

J-E-T-S

The crowd cheering with two strikes.

Wasn't there a Miami Dophins Number One song or something? Do they still sing that?

I don't know if things like the Dog Pound qualify, and the Raiders people who dress like it's Halloween...I'm thinking more about things that involve everyone, or at least a lot of fans.

What am I missing?

Sandra

"God Bless America" in Yankee Stadium before the start of the 7th inning.

In Jacob's Field we sing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" during the 7th inning stretch.

"God Bless America" in Yankee Stadium before the start of the 7th inning.

In Jacob's Field we sing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" during the 7th inning stretch.

Oh goodness, and how could I forget Cubs fans singing 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame'? It's probably done everywhere, but at Wrigley it's an event.

My dad told me about Kate Smith singing 'God Bless America' before the game being a good luck charm for the Philadelphia Flyers...do they still do that? He said in the mid-70's when the Flyers were winning the Cup they actually brought Kate Smith onto the ice, she sang it live, then they gave her flowers or something...then they won the Stanley Cup.

Sandra

Another iffy tradition is the Ketchup, Mustard and Onion races. Every game, each mascot does a lap around the stadium. Each fan roots hard for their favorite to win and the finish always seems to be a close one. (I know this is a stretch, but it takes place during every game, so it's a tradition of sorts.)

I think in Milwaukee, this race is done by sausages and brats.

ketchup-mustard-mascots.jpg

racing-sausages-color.jpg

How about Red Wing fans tossing octopi onto the ice??

octopus_hasek_Dave_Sandford.jpg

I remember watching a Ranger-Red Wing game a long time ago, and this was the announcers' exchange:

JD: "Sam, there's an octupus on the ice!"

Sam Rosen: "Yeah, that Yzerman is everywhere"

JD: "No, really, there's an octupus on the ice!"

Sandra

Everytime the Kentucky Wildcats get a first down the announcer yells. "It's another FIRST DOWN KENTUCKY!!"

"Sweet Caroline" at Fenway at every game in the middle of the 8th inning.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PxHqMEcSuQ&feature=related]YouTube - World Series - Game 2 - Sweet Caroline - October 25, 2007[/ame]

There still NOTHING like when Harry Carry use to sing "take me out to the ball game" during the 7th inning stretch. Damn I miss those days....:(:(:(

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo9fEADUqPs&feature=related]YouTube - Harry Caray Sings Take Me Out to the Ballgame[/ame]

"Hail to the Redskins" and the Redskins Band. Downright prehistoric in NFL terms.

I forgot about that. The words though have changed over the years due to being politically correct.

Another iffy tradition is the Ketchup, Mustard and Onion races. Every game, each mascot does a lap around the stadium. Each fan roots hard for their favorite to win and the finish always seems to be a close one. (I know this is a stretch, but it takes place during every game, so it's a tradition of sorts.)

I think in Milwaukee, this race is done by sausages and brats.

ketchup-mustard-mascots.jpg

racing-sausages-color.jpg

Pittsburgh has the Pierogi races, they're pretty funny.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T9ARMaQL8k]YouTube - Mikey and Big Bob Pierogi Race #2 2006 Pirates[/ame]

Auburn, though I was right about them being overrated, has the 'Tiger Walk,' where the entire team (and coach Tuberville) walk hand-in-hand to the stadium.

Guys, professional sports only. Go back and read Sandra's original post.

I could list a ton of college traditions. Sandra's only looking for the professional ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts