Greedy Installer

Ok.. so what about my dish?? the dish is clamped 2 a pole which is attached 2 very sterdy balocny railings. rememebr it is a super dish 121. so it bound 2 fail sooner or later.. i had a strong rain and like 20mph wind yesterday and nothing hapened.. besides the tech told me that it is istalled in such a way that it is able to withstand 200lbs of pressure. plzzz let me know.. and if it gives a me a lot of problem later on i will just cancel it or try 2 fix it myself cause i am not bound by any contract.

depends on who the insatller works for....If he was with a DN sub that uses DN work/install rules, balconies are a no no..i can tell you this..If the balcony mount could not be permanent(bolted to deck0, the roof would have been my next look...if I had to rent a 40ft ladder to get there, I pass that cost on to the customer..Your sigs that you posted look good so Line of sight apparently isn't an issue......i would check to see if the current mount is secure. Otherwise the next time the wind gets fresh ,you may be calling for service.
Another issue is the tech may have not wanted to do the install(trust me it happens) so he cooked up the extra charge thing....

DN changed the rules...The techs can now only charge extra for hardwire phone lines or wireless phone jacks,additonal fees for a special (36ft or 40ft ladder rental) excess cable burial of over 50ft...The rest of it is free to the cust..Wall fish, pole mts.
Each job is different.....i won't walk away from a job unless the customer makes it impossible for me to do the job neatly......99% of the time, I find a way to get it done..It may take far more time but that is part of the job.....We are in customer service.....unfortunately there are too many techs that look at a job and figgure it will take longer than a pre determined amount of time and they will make up some dopey excuse to walk.....

webby you are correct..I owrk for a DN sub. DNSC is constantly leaning on us about completion rates....We get apartment jobs that don't go in due to restrictions and we get sh*t for not putting them in..It's garbage..same goes for rentals where the cust can't get an LOP...But here's the rub. They qC our jobs..Not all. But at random.....they carp about completion. Techs are forced to take liberties with the rules and they get burnt. Or you get the sloppy installer who doesn't care and it creates SC's....DNSC gets all pissy about that too....But the no charge to cust stuff is all about equalizing the game with cable...

sanhin2 said:
Ok.. so what about my dish?? the dish is clamped 2 a pole which is attached 2 very sterdy balocny railings. rememebr it is a super dish 121. so it bound 2 fail sooner or later.. i had a strong rain and like 20mph wind yesterday and nothing hapened.. besides the tech told me that it is istalled in such a way that it is able to withstand 200lbs of pressure. plzzz let me know.. and if it gives a me a lot of problem later on i will just cancel it or try 2 fix it myself cause i am not bound by any contract.

doesn't sound like a very secure mount..at least to my standards...keep an eye on it.

The mounting point of the dish mast must be able to withstand 200lbs of force, so what that means is where each lag bolt that goes through the holes on the foot plate that point must be strong enough to support 200lbs and the hardware used must also be rated to support 200lbs of force.

Yea it has changed to completions, hard push to hit the current goal by its end date in february. The push is so hard that each persons job is on the line, each installer must maintain a certain percentage, managers arent immune from the percentage requirements either and neither are the customers to some degrea. The push for completions came about with the 10 million customer goal and there is a 12 million customer goal currently in place that must be reached by the end of february in order for all employee's to get the promised reward.

Van said:
The mounting point of the dish mast must be able to withstand 200lbs of force, so what that means is where each lag bolt that goes through the holes on the foot plate that point must be strong enough to support 200lbs and the hardware used must also be rated to support 200lbs of force.

Yea it has changed to completions, hard push to hit the current goal by its end date in february. The push is so hard that each persons job is on the line, each installer must maintain a certain percentage, managers arent immune from the percentage requirements either and neither are the customers to some degrea. The push for completions came about with the 10 million customer goal and there is a 12 million customer goal currently in place that must be reached by the end of february in order for all employee's to get the promised reward.

soo van i understand that u have a LOT of experience with installations.. whats is ur take on teh whole situtaion?? is it gonna gimme problems or is it secure?? i just want ur opinion.. thnx

Deck mounts work. If the position and the mast is securely fastened to the deck and with 121 dish the support arms are used as well as the mast to subport the weight. The LNB assembly is heavy. most balcony job can only judged on a case by case basis.

Dish has always used completion rates as the litmus test for installs. For the sub contractor that means the more you get done the more jobs you will get. For the most part this means that shoddy installs done very fast are the rule of the day. In the winter that means a 70+ signal on 119 trans11 works, let the guy who comes in the spring and tells the customer that the tree is in the way and the aquiring sat signal is the only thing he will see until winter.

I remember studying the dynamics of lever arms in basic structual engineering class some 35 years ago.

I don't know how the mounting foot of the SuperDish lever arm is fastened to the railing, but it would appear that it is most likely fastened to the baluster rails. In any case, the force of gravity and wind load is applied to the dish itself, the bottom bolts that hasten the mounting foot acts as a fulcrum. Tension is applied to the top bolts of the mounting foot. By design, the rail must meet with certain structual strength standards in rder to contain a person and to prevent a fall from the balcony.

A photo of the dish and it;s mounting would provide some insight into the likely long term structual integrety of the install.

Sanhin, I have done several Superdish installs in the manner that you are describing ( (I used a pole & u-bolts to fasten to the railing of the balcony) and I have yet to have a service call on any of them. The last one I did was for international programming on a third floor balcony. Your install sounds okay, I would just recommend checking the bolts on occassion, if the installer used lock washers or lock nuts you should be okay.

Havent done any supers that way, plenty of 500's, but with proper brackets and pole should be no issue, ( even though dish gets cranky about wanting struts used ) Have mounted to an upper balcony that was built with 6x6's so that wasnt an issue. ;)

There are people getting greedy in this industry, and its not the installers. All the freebies they want us to provide now, thats greedy. :mad:

sanhin2 said:
soo van i understand that u have a LOT of experience with installations.. whats is ur take on teh whole situtaion?? is it gonna gimme problems or is it secure?? i just want ur opinion.. thnx

Without actually seeing a few pictures of the way its mounted and what its mounted to I cant say. There are ways to mount to a balcony with clamps and other devices but it has to be done right and Ive seen it done bad. If you can post a few pics of how its mounted we can all give our opinion.

dodge said:
I dont think your installer was greedy at all. If he was a subcontractor he is only given enough materials to do a most basic install. I am sub and I dont install on second story roofs, or do pole mounts for free!!! Dish will do a pole mount for free because the guys in the dish van have all materials for the job in hand and the cost of materials does not come out of pocket, If I do a pole mount I have to charge extra becasue the extra supllies cost close to 40 bucks and when you only get 75 bucks for an install you might as well not do the job!!!

are you retailler or a DNS sub?...DNS subcontractors are not supposed to charge for pole mts..retailers may charge....
Why will you not install on a second story roof? I have a 28ft ladder that does the trick.I just lean it against the roof line and work there....I will not go out on a second story roof where the pitch is greater than an 8/12..about 24 degrees....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)