Greetings AGAIN from Baltimore!

One concern that a software upgrade for the 6000 might fix.

Scott,

Currently my 6000 has to go searching for the satellite for a couple of minutes after I watch OTA for anything over 15 or 20 minutes and I make the mistake of hitting the "Guide" button before manually entering a Dish channel. I'm assuming this is a common thing that most Dish 6000 users are experiencing and I'm also hoping that a software upgrade that will add two days to the guide will eliminate this problem. What do you think?

Stacy

Re: One concern that a software upgrade for the 6000 might f

Stacy A said:
Scott,

Currently my 6000 has to go searching for the satellite for a couple of minutes after I watch OTA for anything over 15 or 20 minutes and I make the mistake of hitting the "Guide" button before manually entering a Dish channel. I'm assuming this is a common thing that most Dish 6000 users are experiencing and I'm also hoping that a software upgrade that will add two days to the guide will eliminate this problem. What do you think?

Stacy

This is a known, long-standing issue with the Model 6000/8VSB. The "problem" is that the receiver's hardware(?)/software(!) design is such that when the unit is working on an OTA channel, it can not simultaneously go to the satellite feed and keep it's EPG data tables up to date. If the table data expires while you're watching OTA and you hit the Guide button, the unit has to "Acquire Satellite Signal" and you're forced to watch a silly dialog box. 6000 owners have learned to NEVER hit the Guide button while watching an OTA channel. This is not the way _I_ would have designed the unit, but this is the way the unit is today. There's hope that the upcoming firmware update will alleviate _some_ of this issue, but, given the Model 6000's limited on-board (flash) memory, this "feature" will be around for a while. Yeah, it is a PITA, but.... Good luck! :)

Bill R said:
I thought it was very low for the "people" from the "other" board to refer to the members of this board as "bad guys" and to quote "rules" about NOT posting links to this site. What a bunch of petty CRAP.

Hack was trying to play Chief Of Internet Police over there. Ignore him.

Unthinkable said:
Bill R said:
I thought it was very low for the "people" from the "other" board to refer to the members of this board as "bad guys" and to quote "rules" about NOT posting links to this site. What a bunch of petty CRAP.

Hack was trying to play Chief Of Internet Police over there. Ignore him.

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT!
I was the one who started the innocent thread to let others know of uptodate reviews here! Really, it was innocent. :) However that Hack guy ruined my experience at DBSTalk. I will probably stick with this one & AVSForum for local info.
I have to say thanks to Scott G. for post info here. I am definitely biting at the bit for the 921. I am glad it is only ~5 weeks away!

Robert :D

I was the one who started the innocent thread to let others know of uptodate reviews here! Really, it was innocent. However that Hack guy ruined my experience at DBSTalk. I will probably stick with this one & AVSForum for local info.

Well thanks for spreading the word. I found the entire thing to be embarrassing for DBSTalk, with the quoting of rules that are bogus (and if they have been up that long why are there been thousands of posts with links before this and no mention of these rules)

And I also thank all of you who stood up in support of the post, I find it funny that a board that does not believe in censorship hid the message in its potpourri forum and then closed it when people were still upset over the handling of this.

Just kind of shows you whats wrong over there, and it's kind of sad to me.

We are here to provide YOU with the best satellite information and to help you get the most from your satellite system.

I thank you all again for your support.

I was going to post on that thread but it was closed before I got to read it and post to it. Since they closed it over there I will post it here. I think Hack was wrong in some things that he said and how he said it in that he thinks that people who visit other boards are bad people. That is just so rediculous.

How do you think DBSTalk got started? By people posting links from DBSForums to the DBSTalk site. A lot of the people that are here visit both sites. I dont think its wrong to link to information that people may want to read.

Sorry for going off of topic but this is something I wanted to say and did not get the chance to.

I do appologize for my comments above. I should learn to let things die, its hard to let something go that you loved doing so much.

DBSTalk will always feel special to me but I realize I need to move on to the future and thats why SatelliteGuys is here.

I shall refrain from picking on DBSTalk from now on, if they wish to make their site look bad thats up to them. Its their board they can run it as they see fit. I have my own site to run now, and I intend to setting the bar for satellite sites.

I was happy to be able to surprise everyone with my trip to Baltimore and bringing you the first looks at some of the new Dish Network products, I still have a few more reviews and more pics to put online.

On Monday I will have another surprise for everyone out there that you might find usefull sometime or another. :)

Of course more things are already in the works, so as I always say STAY TUNED!

Thanks again everyone for your support.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I do appologize for my comments above. I should learn to let things die, its hard to let something go that you loved doing so much.

DBSTalk will always feel special to me but I realize I need to move on to the future and thats why SatelliteGuys is here.

I shall refrain from picking on DBSTalk from now on, if they wish to make their site look bad thats up to them. Its their board they can run it as they see fit. I have my own site to run now, and I intend to setting the bar for satellite sites.

I was happy to be able to surprise everyone with my trip to Baltimore and bringing you the first looks at some of the new Dish Network products, I still have a few more reviews and more pics to put online.

On Monday I will have another surprise for everyone out there that you might find usefull sometime or another. :)

Of course more things are already in the works, so as I always say STAY TUNED!

Thanks again everyone for your support.

Scott,

It is wise to let things like this just fade into the woodwork. Personally, I don't know any of the details, and really don't want to. But as an outsider looking in, it sure looks bad for dbst***. I have stopped going there.

Keep up the good work and ignore the peanut gallery....

I go to a lot of the major satellite forums that use software similar to this that are easy to go through the messages, some more often than others. If I see that there are people that are judging me, my knowledge, or posts I will eventually quit posting as much. I come to satellite boards to learn and discuss satellite, not to be judged and be told that I should know this or that. I dont judge others like that. That is one reason why I am here.

Anyways, that aside, I am glad this forum is here and look forward to the upcoming announcements of new technology, locals, and receivers. It looks like a lot of interesting changes are going to come about by the end of the year into next year. Some may have a different remote, different receiver, different dish, and different look and feel of the menu and guides, an total retransformation for some, depending on what you end up getting.

A LITTLE IRONY!

Scott Greczkowski said:
I was the one who started the innocent thread to let others know of uptodate reviews here! Really, it was innocent. However that Hack guy ruined my experience at DBSTalk. I will probably stick with this one & AVSForum for local info.

Well thanks for spreading the word. I found the entire thing to be embarrassing for DBSTalk, with the quoting of rules that are bogus (and if they have been up that long why are there been thousands of posts with links before this and no mention of these rules)

And I also thank all of you who stood up in support of the post, I find it funny that a board that does not believe in censorship hid the message in its potpourri forum and then closed it when people were still upset over the handling of this.

Just kind of shows you whats wrong over there, and it's kind of sad to me.

We are here to provide YOU with the best satellite information and to help you get the most from your satellite system.

I thank you all again for your support.

Check this post:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=155898#post155898

It has all the spec sheets lifted from THIS forum. How do I know? Look at the 811 spec & see www.satelliteguys.us still there!!
I am amused. :D

Robert

They don't seem to be there now. And actually all the PDF's have SatelliteGuys.US written in them somewhere. :)

I watermark my stuff for a reason, hehe. :D

I have been finding different sites marking their internet site on the side of pictures and information so they can advertise their website in which is a smart move.

The pictures in that thread were sent to Chris, and he put them up without seeing the SatelliteGuys logo on them. When he did see it, he took the pics down because they are Scott's.

Back OT: The 7.80 software for the 6000 currently has 12 hours of guide data stored before having to download more from the satellite. Good news is, though, that it only takes about 20 seconds to get the download from the satellite, as opposed to the 2-3 minutes before. The acquiring satellite message when you go the the guide after watching OTA for awhile problem is still there.

Oh, and for the record, Hack is being dealt with. I've been embarassed by some of his crap (kind of reminds me how Roger has been in the past), and guess I'm one of the "bad guys" too, seeing as how I'm here reading about the Dish Summit like the rest of you... :)

Mark,

Stop defending yourself and your board. :) Again I realize You, Chris and Steve would never do those things. And believe it not I trust you guys. :)

I also believe that none of you guys had anything to do with yesterdays DOS attack on both servers.

Watermarking my photos and information is NOTHING new for me, I was doing the same thing when I was at DBSTalk and I was doing it before DBSTalk (hell my watermarking days go back to when I ran a 1200 baud BBS) (remember those?) :D

It's time to move on and move forward for everyone. :D

Some people just need to understand that there are now three good satellite information sites, DBSForums, DBSTalk and now SatelliteGuys. :)

I look at there being three good satellite message boards the same as there being three main DBS satellite services available (DirecTv, Dish Network, VOOM).

I certainly agree with you Scott. I just wish that the some users on both of our sites would chose to take that road as well...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)