jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Greetings to my CE friends from Aruba!

I figured I should explain my absense, wouldn't you all rather be here?

I thought about asking the beach bartender if I could use his DirecTV remote for a moment to download the CE last night, but it was just a basic SD receiver, probably didn't have anything new ;)

On an interesting note, the dish points up at like a 45 degree angle, adn given how close we are to Venezuela, I'm not sure if they are getting US DirecTV or Latin America DirecTV. The channels are English, and they get Distant NY feeds for locals, so it is probably the US feeds, but wow, this island is far south to get that.

Back to the beach, good day all.

(I had to do a few posts to justify the $24 I paid for Wifi)

Attachments

• IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0324.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 175
I would assume its the LA version of DirecTV. Aruba is 12 N, 70 W. The most SE part of the USA is 15 degrees further north and, more importantly 10 degrees further west. You should be able to tell from the channel numbers if the bartender will give you the remote.

To go off topic a bit, I have been to many places in Mexico and the Carribbean where the NY feeds, which seems like a wasted opertunity for the networks. For very little money they could do an "international" feed with its own commercials. Whatever they make on those sales, they get to keep.

It was early, been looking at pleny of bunnies.

Had to come up to the room to change for dinner. Have reservation for beach front (they have 10 tables actually on the beach) four course dinner, should be interesting ;)

It is always amazing that everybody you get to know on a form never looks like you picture them.

I will probably be shocked when I find out Rey does not look like Homer. :p

It is always amazing that everybody you get to know on a form never looks like you picture them.

I will probably be shocked when I find out Rey does not look like Homer. :p

:D there are pics of me here.just go to my public profile. beware! your monitor might shatter when my pic comes up! :eek:

I would assume its the LA version of DirecTV. Aruba is 12 N, 70 W. The most SE part of the USA is 15 degrees further north and, more importantly 10 degrees further west. You should be able to tell from the channel numbers if the bartender will give you the remote.

To go off topic a bit, I have been to many places in Mexico and the Carribbean where the NY feeds, which seems like a wasted opertunity for the networks. For very little money they could do an "international" feed with its own commercials. Whatever they make on those sales, they get to keep.

Well, I'm back, and I brought some Aruba answers as for sat service :)

The DirecTV I saw was the latin america version (or directv mexico as the bartender called it, when I asked to watch the US version of ESPN instead of Deportes).

In the rooms they had Dish Network channels, pulled off individual receivers and routed onto analog cable through a head end. I learned this when watching the Red Wings Sunday afternoon (first time I ran up a $100 bar tab in three hours, thankfully it was all-inclusive). In the 3rd period the signal went out for about 15 minutes, it wasn't even raining, just a thick cloud, so I could tell their signal wasn't strong.

As we cycled through the channels we saw the S & R numbers for each receiver that was running that channel ;) They were all DP311, a pretty simple setup. I guess Dish has a longer south-carribean beam.

How is this weeks HR2x CE? I'm still running the 0301 from two weeks ago and just remembered how the remote double entries and needed occasional reboots due to stuttering bother me. Amazing what 5 days away and you'll forget.

Did the second CE with MRV & DLB get much better?

How is this weeks HR2x CE? I'm still running the 0301 from two weeks ago and just remembered how the remote double entries and needed occasional reboots due to stuttering bother me. Amazing what 5 days away and you'll forget.

Did the second CE with MRV & DLB get much better?

yes... it's way better jay. the dvr's seem to be more responsive with this ce and i'm sure you noticed from other posts that dlb is now called game swap and what the differences are. nice to have you back...........:up

Actually, CBS does just this.

In Puerto Rico, I was watching 'CBS Carribean'. That was the hourly channel ID

Welcome back Jason,
We would still like to see D* dedicate a CE to fix the lagging Remote response issues, it's been very BAD for about a month or so now.

Push a button, channel wise ..... and wait..... and hope it takes all the numbers (3 digits), usually it won't take them in succession like it should.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)