Greetings from Team Summit

king3pj said:
I think one of the reasons no one has 2 hoppers is because the default from Dish for 4 TVs is 1h 3j. People hear the commercials saying they can record 6 things at once and probably don't understand PTAT. I would guess that almost everyone with 1h and 3j is having conflicts and most of them probably didn't realize they would before they bought it. I think if Dish was recommending 2 hoppers in those situations a lot more people would have 2.

Plenty of folks have stated they have two Hoppers.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

stimpson said:
Plenty of folks have stated they have two Hoppers.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I am one of them. I didn't mean no one has them but at 2% it is almost no one.

Of the 20 or so Hopper installs I've done, about 40% are dual. The guidline I use is one Hopper, one Joey. 3rd TV should be a Hopper unless there is no more than 2 people I'm the house. In no case do I do a setup with more screens than tuners.
Also I have to say, about this 6 tuner Hopper business. I think it makes more sense to use a second Hopper for several reasons. Redundancy is one. Once integration comes it should be seemless. Bandwidth is another. Imagine six tuners all using the processor and the disk, what kind of io is that? Is that maybe the reason the hr34 cant do trick play on live tv and must instead rely on disks built in to remote TV dvrs instead? I think so. They keep the Hopper fast without weighing it down, twice the headroom for io. And only those that need it get it. Well, there's the problem. They should be stressing a second Hopper and it should be cheaper.

Btw, of those twenty Hopper installs; I've only had one problem. 1 Hopper failed a week after install, reboot loop. Other than that, I find the Hopper Joey system to be very stable and reliable. I've had 1 customer with a dvr event that failed to record. I pre download all hoppers at the shop when we receive them. No problems yet and much faster at install, about same as VIP. I like them.

Btw, of those twenty Hopper installs; I've only had one problem. 1 Hopper failed a week after install, reboot loop. Other than that, I find the Hopper Joey system to be very stable and reliable. I've had 1 customer with a dvr event that failed to record. I pre download all hoppers at the shop when we receive them. No problems yet and much faster at install, about same as VIP. I like them.

That's smart to pre download as the Hoppers with the older firmware are a BITCH to install initially.

I think one of the reasons no one has 2 hoppers is because the default from Dish for 4 TVs is 1h 3j. People hear the commercials saying they can record 6 things at once and probably don't understand PTAT. I would guess that almost everyone with 1h and 3j is having conflicts and most of them probably didn't realize they would before they bought it. I think if Dish was recommending 2 hoppers in those situations a lot more people would have 2.

I agree, plus in the commercials I think they are showing the benefits of watching recorded shows in other rooms, not live tv. I think the system is great and for some 1 Hopper is all that is needed, I am glad i have two hoppers to eliminate any possible conflicts. We have three tv's two of which are not on a whole lot I just did not want to have any possible conflicts

Remember that 2% of 14 million is still a pretty large number. The number with continue to go up as the word continues to get out about all the great features it has. Also, there are not that many retailers installing them yet. A lot of retailers are still learning more about the system before they start selling them. I was surprised with how little some knew about the system and the lack of Hoppers they've put in.

I talked to a retailer that 3 times more the amount of total installs as we do yet we've done more Hoppers. Interesting.

Yup many retailers there NEVER installed a hopper system. But now that that they are trained they seemed gung hi about putting them in.

As I said I expect that 2% number to grow quickly.

My point about 6 tuners in one box was not really for the current system. But given Dish's release schedule, it is about 18 months until the next great thing comes out. Look at Dish's history of top of the line HD boxes: 5000, 6000, 811, 921, 942, 622, 722, 922, now hopper all in about 13 years. In other words every 18 months to 2 years Dish releases a new future of Dish network box...

Next year at CES or Team Summit they will probably show a new and improved Hopper 2.0 that will do something that the current one will not do. Scott will give us a behind the scenes look at it based on some demo. Then people will get all excited and endless speculation will abound. About a year after it is shown it will come out. The 6 tuner thing I tossed out was just something that they could do in 2.0, if they find the demand for 2 hopper households. But, at their current install rate of 2%, they will probably have some other must have feature.

2012 Hopper http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/279716-satelliteguys-first-look-dish-hopper-joey.html
2010 922 http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-forum/208621-first-look-vip-922-slingloaded-dvr.html
2007 722 http://www.satelliteguys.us/satelliteguys-frontpage-news/93155-satelliteguys-first-look.html
2006 622 http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-technical-discussions/56125-first-look-622-review.html
2005 942 http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-technical-discussions/8081-first-look-dish-942-hd-sd.html

The prior Scott HD receiver scoops were on the other site, but you can see there is always something new coming from Dish....

That would be nice for you and a bunch of us here at SatelliteGuys. We are not your normal customer.

I was told that less the 2% of the installed hopper base has two hoppers. I am sure that number will climb over time.

That's most likely due to the fact that current customers with 3-4 TVs can't get a 2 Hopper config, and most new customers probably aren't aware that 2 Hoppers are even a choice for them...

Remember that 2% of 14 million is still a pretty large number. The number with continue to go up as the word continues to get out about all the great features it has. Also, there are not that many retailers installing them yet. A lot of retailers are still learning more about the system before they start selling them. I was surprised with how little some knew about the system and the lack of Hoppers they've put in.

I talked to a retailer that 3 times more the amount of total installs as we do yet we've done more Hoppers. Interesting.
:confused: I thought that the 2% figure was 2% of Hopper installs, not 2% of the entire customer base...

:confused: I thought that the 2% figure was 2% of Hopper installs, not 2% of the entire customer base...

I think so too. We need to get that clarified.

If Dish has say, put out 2% of 14 million in 3 months, and that rate keeps up, in about 4 years it'll be all Hoppers and Joeys. Hard to picture there being about 100,000 installs a month. Anybody know roughly how many installs Dish actually does, including retailers?

I thought the HJ system was the preferred system for install. So these out of touch retailers have been selling and installing VIP systems for the past couple of months. Won't those customers they installed in the past two months be a little pissed when they find out they missed out on a whole home system? Ridiculous and I sure wouldn't want one of them as my local retailer.

Laddyboy said:
I thought the HJ system was the preferred system for install. So these out of touch retailers have been selling and installing VIP systems for the past couple of months. Won't those customers they installed in the past two months be a little pissed when they find out they missed out on a whole home system? Ridiculous and I sure wouldn't want one of them as my local retailer.

The Hopper system is not for everyone at the moment. The majority of our installs are still VIP receivers. We've only instal 5 hopper systems and one was mine. Now if retailers have customers asking for the latest and greatest and they only install a VIP receiver then that's their problem to deal with down the road. I myself love talking about it so I like bringing it up to customers. I usually only bring it up to customers who I think will benefit from it though. Every customer needs to be qualified.

I think so too. We need to get that clarified.

If Dish has say, put out 2% of 14 million in 3 months, and that rate keeps up, in about 4 years it'll be all Hoppers and Joeys. Hard to picture there being about 100,000 installs a month. Anybody know roughly how many installs Dish actually does, including retailers?

Considering Dish churns 2-3% customers/year plus new installs I would say they are not very far from 75-100k installs a month. When they say they add 100k subs in a quarter, they probably lost 100k (churn) and added 200k for the net 100k. Plus you have upgrades.

Exactly. But is it 2-3% a year, a month or a quarter?

looks like: Dish Network adds subscribers, beats Street | Reuters

Dish, whose shares rose 0.5 pct, added a net 104,000 subscribers during the quarter, topping analysts' average estimate of 62,000, according to StreetAccount data. It was Dish's second quarter in a row of subscriber growth, after shedding about 250,000 subscribers during the second and third quarters of 2011.

The company's churn rate, or rate of cancellations, decreased to 1.35 percent compared to 1.47 percent for the same period in 2011, when it raised prices, Dish said on Monday.

A quarter. So 1.35% of 14 million was 189k, added 104k so 303k installs for the quarter...

Thank you. So 100,000 installs a month isn't far off. And as the advertising kicks in, and the energized retailers return from Team Summit, H/J can easily actually increase it's rate of installs. Looks like there may be a significant number of ViPs available for WA to move to 8PSK & MPEG-4 with little pain. I think they might actually be able to do this within a couple of years now. "Dear subscriber: We will replace your old equipment with new ViP equipment. OR, you can upgrade to H/J......"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)