Gregg answers your questions LIVE!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Scott Greczkowski said:
Remove the Collie is the answer. Gregg does not recommend removing the glare screen in this case. :)

Hmmm....Looks like it is either my wife and colle or me and the tv being removed. ;) :D

Send in more questions guys. :)

We are getting ready to take a lunch break :)

I should note he has not even started the calibration yet. Still fixing problems with this TV.

By what I've seen, Gregg does need to be able to access the (in my case) the DVI (D* STB) & component cables (DVD player). Also need to buy some black yard bags....by the way, those convergence patters, are those in the service menu or is that off Greggs equipment?

Barneypoo69 said:
By what I've seen, Gregg does need to be able to access the (in my case) the DVI (D* STB) & component cables (DVD player). Also need to buy some black yard bags....by the way, those convergence patters, are those in the service menu or is that off Greggs equipment?

They are coming off of Greggs Test Equipment. He should have access to the back of the TV. :)

How would you rate the newer sony Direct Views. Specifically, the KV32HS420? Have a chance to work on one yet? If so, what was most out of whack (historically, if not on one of the newer ones).
Also, should HDMI be noticeably better then component in's for 1080i or 480p?

Thank you.

No idea, he things the 34xbr960 is the best consumer set made. Sonys are generally fantastic sets. HDMI is prefered for Digital Displays :D

Gregg -

How do you find out all of the nitty gritty technical info on all the TV's you work on? I know there are some typical brands that lots of people have (Sony CRT's, Mitsu RPCRTS, etc etc), but you must come into some weirdos every once in a while.

Also, have you ever had any direct manufacturer contact re: warranties and service modes, etc? I know a lot of people who are scared a bit by this.

-Rob

PS - See you tomorrow! :)
Trial and Error, relationships with manufacturers, networking with other calebrators and off the net.

Wierdos? Like this TV I am working on now. This one is bad but we are making it better. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
The problem may be in the tube between the layers. Since the set is under warranty have it fixed. There is no reason not to have it fixed.

Gregg wants to know what state your in, please email us back. :D
for the record i jsut wondered if it would cause any problems withthe board or anything to swap the tubes...

Is there a particular brand of RPCRT that benefits more from calibration than others? If you could list those brands, from your experience, that benefit the most and the order from most to least. I am interested in where Samsung would fall.

Hi gregg, I have a question for you and I dont know if this will fall under the calibration or not, but I have a 46 inch sony high def, rear projection tv. When we turn it on it seems the reds are really bright and then after a seems like 15 second warm up period, the colors are all real nice and rich and the picture is dead on, should I be worried about the sudden bright red when I turn it on, or is this a normal warm up process for rear projectors, thank you

James
Stuart628 on satguys

Sounds normal to Gregg, but if the image is good after it warms up. CRT's do weird things but if its good then its good. :)

Is there a particular brand of RPCRT that benefits more from calibration than others? If you could list those brands, from your experience, that benefit the most and the order from most to least. I am interested in where Samsung would fall.
Worst set out of the box is Panasonic. Pioneer & Mitsubishi are the best. Samsung is in the middle of the road.

On a new LCD monitor two blue dots are visable on the screen. How would that be corrected?

Gregg, I have a Samsung DLP. I also have a 3 year old son who loves to touch things on the screen. The screen is anti-glare and kind of pourous, What is the best way to get smudges off of it. I use water and a soft cloth now, but I know my wife has used windex :( and I told her that it might damage it. Am I right?

Get rid of the kid... Ok maybe not. Diluted Vinegar and water with a soft cloth. NO WINDEX.

Uplink said:
On a new LCD monitor two blue dots are visable on the screen. How would that be corrected?
Sadly, I have learned some manufacturers have a certain threshold of allowable dead pixels per a given physical resolution on LCD monitors. Some manufacturers have higher thresholds than others. These values are used in determining which units are sellable and which aren't. Your retailer may take it back and offer an exchange but that one could have other dead pixels. Depending on the manufacturer, your original may not be repaired.

Of course, this is all from what one of my retailers told me, and I never looked further into the truth of it so take that with a grain of salt. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)